1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 30, 2020 5:58 AM by Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle

Fleet maintenance vs fleet patching and provisioning

Keith Tanner

I’ve been reading up in automated methods to patch my environments (a mix of RAC, EE, 12.1, 12.2, 19c on RHEL 7). I’ve found some good stuff on Fleet Maintenance and Fleet Patching and Provisioning.

I understand that Fleet Maintenance is primarily done through emcli commands using OEM (I use 13.3). But Fleet Patching and Provisioning requires a separate server to run.

Can anyone help me understand the advantages / disadvantages of using the one or the other? They seem pretty similar to each other.

Also, if I run either one of these, how many people does it take to run? For example, let’s say I have 400 production databases and my gold image already created, could I do this all myself (deploying, upgrading, etc) if I wanted to regularly install RUs or would it take multiple DBAs working with me?

Thanks,

Keith

• 1. Re: Fleet maintenance vs fleet patching and provisioning
          Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle

Hi Keith,

I would suggest you to go through the following documents which gives you detailed explanation of the steps to be implemented.

You surely have the option to customize your scripts and execute them as per your need. All these were also explained in following documents.

Master Note for Database Patching Using Fleet Maintenance. (Doc ID 2435251.1)

How To Patch Or Upgrade Standalone Database Using Fleet Maintenance (Doc ID 2434260.1)

How To Patch Or Upgrade Oracle Restart "Single Instance High Availability" Using Fleet Maintenance (Doc ID 2435732.1)

How To Patch Or Upgrade Oracle Restart "Single Instance High Availability" Using Fleet Maintenance (Doc ID 2435732.1)

How to Patch Or Upgrade RAC Database Using Fleet Maintenance (Doc ID 2448341.1)

How To Patch Or Upgrade Standalone Data Guard Enabled Database Using Fleet Maintenance (Doc ID 2536007.1)

FLEET: How to use Custom Pre and Post Scripts for Fleet Maintenance Operations (Doc ID 2564999.1)

Hope these documents will give you the details you are looking for.

Best Regards,

Venkat