4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2020 3:17 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

SQL Dev feature comparison?

EdStevens

Sorry, this is a duplicate of a question I accidentally posted under a very misleading subject.

We have had a discussion come up in my workgroup concerning features (or perceived lack of) of SQL Dev.

Some years ago (before I came on board) we purchased a license for SQL Navigator.  With our budget being squeezed from several directions, we are reviewing the need for SQL Navigator.  I've been arguing for some time that we could drop it, but a couple of developers have become quite dependent on it and are not sure if features they use are available in SQL Dev.  I only use SQL Dev in very simplistic ways, so really can't answer their questions with any specificity.

Here is their comment:

SQL Developer – I have and rarely use. If I have to give up SQL Navigator, I will need to spend some time learning Developer.

Some functionality that I rely on in Navigator that I’m not sure exists in Developer:

• Code formatting tool
      • Debugging tool – watch variables and stepping through code
      • Query history retention
      • Code compare – (UltraEdit also has this feature that I can use if SQL Developer does not).
      • Code search – I have a query that I can use, if this does not exist in SQL Developer.

I know the code formatting and code search are there, and use them myself.  I understand there is debugging, but have never used it so don't know anything about it.

In addition to confirming the existence of said features, does anyone have any pointers to help this developer ease over the learning curve?

• 1. Re: SQL Dev feature comparison?
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle
          • Code formatting tool - YES!
          • Debugging tool – watch variables and stepping through code - YES!!
          • Query history retention - YES!!!
          • Code compare – (UltraEdit also has this feature that I can use if SQL Developer does not). - YES!!!!
          • Code search – I have a query that I can use, if this does not exist in SQL Developer. YES!!!!!

"If I have to give up SQL Navigator, I will need to spend some time learning Developer"

This is also true, as it would be to suddendly switch from Windows to OS X, from Emacs to vi or even from Chrome to Firefox.

It's a free switch, and if anything, SQL Developer HAS MORE features than SQL Navigator - for free. And our development team is well staffed, and we do frequent updates.

• 2. Re: SQL Dev feature comparison?
            EdStevens

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.  I was pretty sure all the requested features are there.  Any good pointers on learning to use, especially debugging?

- Ed

• 3. Re: SQL Dev feature comparison?
              EdStevens

"If I have to give up SQL Navigator, I will need to spend some time learning Developer"

This is also true, as it would be to suddendly switch from Windows to OS X, from Emacs to vi or even from Chrome to Firefox.

Or worse .. one version of Windows to another version of Windows.   "My momma always said Windows was like a box of choc-o-lahts"

Our prime user of SQL Nav (and the one the posed the features list) is pretty sharp and pretty good about digging things out.  She's just averse to changing her base working environment.

• 4. Re: SQL Dev feature comparison?
                thatJeffSmith-Oracle

My blog is my personal experience switching from the product Quest acquired to kill SQL Navigator about 20 years ago...

Other than that, we have videos on YouTube, people have written books.

But the best way to learn is to go cold turkey.

Start using SQL Developer. Every time something becomes 'painful' - pick up the Google machine. In a few weeks, you'll be running vs limping.