1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2020 10:05 AM by Dude!

How I can get how many people follow my post?

Yuko-Oracle

Hi,

I'd like to know how many people is following my post. Where I can know it?

• 1. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
          KayK

Hi Yuko,

what do you mean with "follow" ?

In the right upper corner you can see this:

And below your post you can see how often your thread was read:

All people that reply to your post will also follow your post via their inbox.

regards

Kay

• 2. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
            Yuko-Oracle

Thank you for your help.

I'd like to know how many people follow my post including the people who didn't reply.

If 10 people follow my post, does it show " Follow in 10"?

When I follow some posts, it always shows "Follow in 1". So I doubt that it exactly shows the number of followers. Have you ever seen the post with "Follow in N"?  (* N is greater than 1)

Regards,
            Yuko

• 3. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
              KayK

The "Follow in 1" only counts your own types of following.

Here is one of the threads i follow. Additional i choose the inbox. So it counts 2 types/channels of following.

• 4. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
                EdStevens

Yuko-Oracle wrote:

Thank you for your help.

I'd like to know how many people follow my post including the people who didn't reply.

If 10 people follow my post, does it show " Follow in 10"?

When I follow some posts, it always shows "Follow in 1". So I doubt that it exactly shows the number of followers. Have you ever seen the post with "Follow in N"? (* N is greater than 1)

Regards,
                Yuko

It might help if you were precisely define what you mean by "follow" your post.  It sound like you might be trying to get simply how many people different people have viewed it.  Or you may mean something else.

In any event, I'd also be curious as to what you think would do with the information if you had it.  What decision would be based on "5 people following" vs. 500 people following."

• 5. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
                  Yuko-Oracle

Thank you, Kay. I now understand why my "follow in" shows always "follow in 1".

What I'd like to know is how many different members is follow my posts.

• 6. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
                    Yuko-Oracle

Hi Ed,

Yes. What I want to know is how many different people is following my posts.

The reason I need the number is;

- Customers in Japan need to be informed important product information in local languages.

- I and other Oracle Japan members translate the information to local language and post it in one thread.

- We request all local customers to follow the thread so that customers can get important product info by mail in local language.

With this original information delivery solutions, I'd like know how much customers have already followed the thread.

Regards,
                    Yuko

• 7. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
                      BluShadow

Yuko-Oracle wrote:

Hi Ed,

- Customers in Japan need to be informed important product information in local languages.

- I and other Oracle Japan members translate the information to local language and post it in one thread.

- We request all local customers to follow the thread so that customers can get important product info by mail in local language.

With this original information delivery solutions, I'd like know how much customers have already followed the thread.

Regards,
                      Yuko

I don't think that's really possible via this community platform.  Whilst you can see how many "views" a discussion has had, that is just a count of how many times the discussion page has been requested by a browser.... it could all be the same person, so if someone is following the discussion or involved in it quite a bit, then they will be viewing it multiple times.

You can see how many people choose to "follow" a discussion, but not everyone chooses to mark discussions to be followed, they are just casual browsers of it.

• 8. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
                        EdStevens

Yuko-Oracle wrote:

Hi Ed,

Regards,
                        Yuko

I'd think this forum would be a very poor channel for communicating with/notifying/informing your customers of anything.  I know if I had a vendor that expected me to follow a forum like this, I'd be very, very suspicious of their expertise.  Don't you have a customer database, with email addresses of your customers?  Can't you use that to drive your notification process?

• 9. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
                          Jim Finch-Oracle

Yuko-Oracle wrote:

Hi Ed,

Regards,
                          Yuko

Yuko,

Please contact your manager and have them get in touch with the transition team. We can address your concerns, but this is a public space isn't the place for internal concerns or for employees to share concerns about their areas.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 10. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
                            BluShadow

Jim Finch-Oracle wrote:

Yuko-Oracle wrote:

Hi Ed,

Regards,
                            Yuko

Yuko,

Please contact your manager and have them get in touch with the transition team. We can address your concerns, but this is a public space isn't the place for internal concerns or for employees to share concerns about their areas.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

So, Jim, there's an idea for the new community.

Have something in place, so that Oracle employees are informed when using the public community(ies) that they are posting in public and if their concern/issue is something internal then they should not use the public community but instead seek assistance through one of the internal channels (and give links/info about those channels).

We've had it before where employees in Oracle Support have posted questions on the public community to try and get a resolution to a customer's issue, in some cases posting details of who the customer is and potentially confidential information, and in one case I recall the customer posting on the community to say "why are you posting my issue in public, I raised this on MOS?"

Just something to consider to raise internal awareness. 

• 11. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
                              Jim Finch-Oracle

Have something in place, so that Oracle employees are informed when using the public community(ies) that they are posting in public and if their concern/issue is something internal then they should not use the public community but instead seek assistance through one of the internal channels (and give links/info about those channels).

We've had it before where employees in Oracle Support have posted questions on the public community to try and get a resolution to a customer's issue, in some cases posting details of who the customer is and potentially confidential information, and in one case I recall the customer posting on the community to say "why are you posting my issue in public, I raised this on MOS?"

It's not a state secret that we do have an employee area. While the current area hasn't been very active lately, on the new platform, it will be housed in its own area separate from the main boards and only accessed by employees. Since last time I heard, I'll be running it, we'll be promoting the heck out of it to existing employees.

We'll have a system in place to handle questions from employees about concerns about their areas.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 12. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
                                EdStevens

BluShadow wrote:

Definitely does not boost confidence of Oracle's customers to see their SR tech searching for solutions on public forums.  Even if it were the 'semi-public' MOSC.  Kind of like when one of my SRs was "answered" by quoting from an obscure blog the tech found by googling the error.  Icing on the cake was that the obscure blog article was written by me!  Really makes one wonder what we're paying for when we sign a support contract.

• 13. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
                                  Jim Finch-Oracle

EdStevens wrote:

BluShadow wrote:

Definitely does not boost confidence of Oracle's customers to see their SR tech searching for solutions on public forums. Even if it were the 'semi-public' MOSC. Kind of like when one of my SRs was "answered" by quoting from an obscure blog the tech found by googling the error. Icing on the cake was that the obscure blog article was written by me! Really makes one wonder what we're paying for when we sign a support contract.

I can't comment on anything MOSC since this is the Developer's forum and I'm not involved over there. I can say with the transition comes a reorganization and things will be better structured with public, paid (MOSC, Topliners, Netsuite), and employee areas separate in their own hubs. We're also embarking on an awareness campaign to make sure everyone's using their proper areas.

Lot going on, short time to do it but we're on pace to get things done.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 14. Re: How I can get how many people follow my post?
                                    Yuko-Oracle

Thank you all. I understand that there is no way to know how many users is following my post.

Sorry to post internal question to public forum but I couldn't enough information about this platform and who manages this. Here is the only place I can ask my questions for Oracle Community. If there is slack channel for Oracle community, it is appreciated.

Thanks again!

Regards,
                                    Yuko

1 2 Previous Next