10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2020 11:19 AM by Jim Finch-Oracle

Restore a document

Dude!

I just published a new document how to copy documents and blogs and spent the last several days creating it. The instructions illustrate how to save blogs and documents as external HTML files without losing any info or formatting of the original, including how to edit or update if necessary.

After making some final change and publishing it again, it somehow reverted to a very old version. I have not seen this before. I check "manage versions" and the previous version was ok, but instead of deleting the last version I accidentally deleted the document.

Is there any way to restore it please. Otherwise a lot of work and valuable information will be lost:

https://community.oracle.com/docs/DOC-1038857

The title was "How to copy your documents and blogs"

Update:

new URL: How to Copy Your Blogs and Documents

• 1. Re: Restore a document
          Dude!

Now I get. Access to this place or content is restricted. Strange. I hope the document can be restored

• 2. Re: Restore a document
            Timo Hahn

Moderators can't get there either

Calling Jim Finch-Oracle for help on this.

Timo

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Restore a document
              Jim Finch-Oracle

Weirdly, enough, I can see the page but it says it's deleted. It's not in the deleted directory so I can't restore it from the tools. When I try to republish it directly from the page, I get an access error.

My guess it was published when they were turning new blogs and documents off and was caught up in the changes to the system.

I saved it as a PDF and it's uploaded to this document.

You may have to repurpose one of your old documents in order to have a space for it because I can access an image of it, but I can't get to it in the restore document tool.

I'll escalate.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 4. Re: Restore a document
                Dude!

This will be of great help. I have already started to recreate the document while my memory is still fresh. I just hope I won't experience this again and will take more care next time and make a local copy before hitting publish again.

It was a strange experience, when I republished the document, it showed up as an older document which I deleted last night as I recall, with different content. Something seemed to have cross-linked, or sort of, while publishing. Silly me I deleted the document instead of the last version, which looked still fine.

Anyway, I'm recreating... Thanks for the help!

• 5. Re: Restore a document
                  Dude!

One more question please. I thought that the feature will be available including 31/7.

Anyway, I'm almost done, but need to do something else for the next couple of hours.  I have created a new document. It's in draft mode and has not been published yet. Should publishing drafts still work?

Will it work until I log out again?

Btw, before I go publish, I will use my instructions on the draft document. I guess that should be the golden test.

• 6. Re: Restore a document
                    Jim Finch-Oracle

It *should* for the next few hours. That said, this being this instance of Jive and you've already had one document that I can't even fix, yeah, backing up the instructions just in case is best. Just in case.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 7. Re: Restore a document
                      Dude!

OK, it's done. Copy and paste of text from the PDF file screwed up some spacing and line endings beyond repair, but I"m very glad I did not have to recreate everything from scratch again. So again, many thanks.

I used my instructions on the draft, prior to publishing and it worked very well. Unfortunately I cannot add attachments to show the result.

• 8. Re: Restore a document
                        Dude!

The system allowed me to do one more update this morning, but any subsequent attempt to change results in the following error

I thought the deal was you can still update existing documents, just not create new ones.

• 9. Re: Restore a document
                          Jim Finch-Oracle

Dude! wrote:

The system allowed me to do one more update this morning, but any subsequent attempt to change results in the following error

I thought the deal was you can still update existing documents, just not create new ones.

It's the currently platform. The entire feature ended up needing to be turned off. There wasn't a way to leave it partially active and enable editing.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 10. Re: Restore a document
                            Dude!

I bet the majority of users and newcomers, in particular, do not know how to create documents and blogs. Perhaps what you see or what people in other communities see is different, but there are no options in any of the usual Action or Create menus I'm seeing. Perhaps that also explains why less than 1 % of people create documents, as you mentioned before.

I only found out by accident, clicking on "news' and using the pull-down menu in "what's going on". The options still exist, but not working anymore. It would have worked in my case to get rid of the menu.

Btw, thanks for the attachment. Could you please remove it as it's now obsolete and not needed anymore.