1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2020 6:30 PM by 4101461

Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column

Environment: Oracle 12.1.0.2 on Exadata

I have a table with 30 columns, one of which is a CLOB, that contains about 26 million rows.

I have a purge job (PL/SQL packaged procedure) that DELETEs rows from nine (9) other tables based on a list of IDs from the driver table that contains the CLOB.

I save the list of IDs in a global temporary table and use that to delete the associated rows from the other tables that are done in the correct order to maintain all the FK relationships.

I am running a test today that has identified about 98,000 IDs to be purged but I have about 5 million that need to be purged to 'catch up' and going forward I'll have about 10,000 per day to purge.

The DELETE on the other 9 tables runs very quickly.

The table with the CLOB column is taking many times longer than the others, like several hours as opposed to several minutes.

I'm guessing there is a better and more efficient way to remove the rows from the table containing the CLOB and to regain the storage used by the deleted CLOB.

I'm currently issuing just a 'DELETE FROM <table> WHERE ID IN (SELECT ID FROM <gtt>', where ID is the PK.

I would appreciate any suggestions and order of operational steps to accomplish this purge, both for the 'catch up' and the daily run of 10,000.

Thanks in advance for all the help!!   Much appreciated!

-gary

• 1. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column
          Mike Kutz

At 20%, ( 5M to delete / 26M rows), it is usually better to create a table with the data you want to keep and swap tables.

Even at 10k/day, it may make sense to PARTITION the table appropriately (if you are on EE and have licensed the Partition Add-on)

Also, check for FKs to the table with the CLOBs. (and Triggers)

MK

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column
            Paulzip

Was does the explain plan show?  Any FKs linking to the table?  If so, are they indexed?

Are the GTT stats stale?  In which case it might not know to use the PK index.

There are lots of gotchas with LOBs if you don't set them up correctly.  I would run an AWR report whilst you do these deletes.

Jonathan Lewis wrote an excellent set of articles regarding LOBs and various issues associated with their use - especially Basic Lobs.  Take a read here and here if you aren't using secure lobs.

• 3. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column

Thanks very much for the feedback.

I am a bit handcuffed due to not having access to all the tools like AWR, ASH, tkprof, trace files, etc.

Partitioning is not an option.

The application is kind of a pass-through in that the data is received, reviewed by some users and then passed on to a mainframe application.

The LOB is a SECUREFILE as seen on the below table definition.  There is no maintenance on the LOB data, it is just passed through and is in the format of an EDI file.

LOB (RAWDATA) STORE AS SECUREFILE (
                TABLESPACE  EDIE_DATA
                ENABLE      STORAGE IN ROW
                CHUNK       8192
                NOCACHE
                LOGGING
                    STORAGE    (
                                INITIAL          104K
                                NEXT             1M
                                MINEXTENTS       1
                                MAXEXTENTS       UNLIMITED
                                PCTINCREASE      0
                                BUFFER_POOL      DEFAULT
                               ))

I just deleted about 9,000 rows and it took 2 hours and 15 minutes.

This purge job runs daily and in some cases has to purge 100,000 rows so you see the urgency in finding a better way.

The table has several FKs and the PK on the table is used in several other FKs.  All FKs are indexed.

OEM  showed a reasonable Explain Plan in that the expected indexes were used and the row counts were accurate.  The run graph showed, what I thought, was a very high CPU usage (90+%) during the delete operation.

I did read the articles from Jonathan Lewis but they were focused on BASICFILE LOBs and issues with heavy maintenance on the LOBs themselves.  I don't have that issue here.

Any other thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks again!!

-gary

• 4. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column

I guess my basic question is why would a table with a CLOB column take so much longer to delete rows from that a table without one?

Is there something about the LOB Index that I need to investigate?  I haven't found much documentation on LOB indexes so far.

I tried setting the CLOB column to NULL and then deleting the rows but the duration was the same and still very much longer than tables without the CLOB column.

I was able to watch the process in OEM and saw lots of CPU usage and looking at V$SESSTAT and V$SESSION_EVENT I saw lots of I/O.

Any ideas/suggestions are most welcome.

-gary

• 5. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column
                  Tubby

You say you don't have access to AWR or TKPROF, and why is that? Seems like if you have an issue you need sorted you'd be able to get those somehow, no?

That aside, your version does support parallel dml so you could give that a try though this could just make things worse for you

https://oracle-base.com/articles/12c/securefiles-enhancements-12c

"

Parallel DML (PDML) Support Enhancements

"

Cheers,

• 6. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column

I guess my real question is why does it take so much longer to DELETE rows from a table with a CLOB column than it does from a table without one?

The non-CLOB tables have many more rows but take just minutes to delete the tagged rows.

There doesn't seem to be much I can do the the LOB index and I've already tried to set the CLOB to NULL and then do the delete but it didn't help the run time.

Any suggestions are welcome.

-gary

• 7. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column
                      Jonathan Lewis

If you can't take advantage of the AWR or trace/tkprof features could you start with a simple queries against v$mystat and v$session_event for your session (i.e. connect to SQL*Plus, delete a small batch of ids, then query the v$ views) or do you have absolutely no access to anything that allows you to see what work the database is doing.

My first thoughts are

1) there's a foreign key that you've overlooked and it's not indexed, so Oracle is doing a tablescan of some other table for every row you delete in the CLOB table.

2) assuming all the foreign key tables are indexed, perhaps after your delete of all the child rows Oracle has to do a lot of delayed block cleanout for each row that it deletes from the parent table as it checks the child indexes.

3) Is there are compression involved on the table segment

4) Is the time spent processing the LOB segment, or is it about the table segment and its indexes?

5) Can we associate the problem with the NOCACHE declaration, or with the LOGGING declaration.

6) (ADDED LATER): is there a concurrency issue with other users inserting new CLOBs or updating existing ones.

Basic test

Connect to SQL*Plus

Delete a small batch

-- set formatting for tidy output.

select from v$mystat joined to v$statname to report the statistics (where value != 0)

select from v$session_event where sid = {your session's SID}

Examine results for clues.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

• 8. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column

Hi Jonanthan

Thanks for jumping in here.  I was able to capture some data from V$SESSION_EVENT and V$SESSTAT as seen below.

I am the only user in this database. 

All FKs reference PKs on the parent tables and indexes exist.

I'm not sure how to check for the delayed block cleanout.

No compression on the table as seen in the CREATE script.

Environment is Oracle 12.1.0.2 on Exadata.

The largest LOB length is 100245.

CREATE TABLE <table>
                        (
                          ID                         NUMBER,
                          IMPORTDATE                 DATE               NOT NULL,
                          RAWDATA                    CLOB,
                        )
                        LOB (RAWDATA) STORE AS SECUREFILE (
                          TABLESPACE  EDIE_DATA
                          ENABLE      STORAGE IN ROW
                          CHUNK       8192
                          NOCACHE
                          LOGGING
                              STORAGE    (
                                          INITIAL          104K
                                          NEXT             1M
                                          MINEXTENTS       1
                                          PCTINCREASE      0
                                          BUFFER_POOL      DEFAULT
                                         ))
                        TABLESPACE EDIE_DATA
                        PCTUSED    0
                        PCTFREE    10
                        INITRANS   1
                        MAXTRANS   255
                        STORAGE    (
                                    INITIAL          64K
                                    NEXT             1M
                                    MINEXTENTS       1
                                    PCTINCREASE      0
                                    BUFFER_POOL      DEFAULT
                                   )
                        LOGGING 
                        ROW STORE COMPRESS ADVANCED
                        NOCACHE
                        MONITORING
                        ENABLE ROW MOVEMENT;

SQL> select * from v$session_event where sid = 678;

SID EVENT                               TOTAL_WAITS TOTAL_TIMEOUTS TIME_WAITED AVERAGE_WAIT   MAX_WAIT TIME_WAITED_MICRO   EVENT_ID WAIT_CLASS_ID WAIT_CLASS# WAIT_CLASS          CON_ID
                        ---------- ----------------------------------- ----------- -------------- ----------- ------------ ---------- ----------------- ---------- ------------- ----------- --------------- ----------
                               678 Disk file operations I/O                     74              0           0            0          0              1493  166678035    1740759767           8 User I/O                33
                               678 Disk file Mirror Read                         2              0           0          .03          0               567   13102552    1740759767           8 User I/O                33
                               678 control file sequential read                  7              0           0          .02          0              1668 3213517201    4108307767           9 System I/O              33
                               678 latch: cache buffers chains                  17              0           0            0          0               265 2779959231    3875070507           4 Concurrency             33
                               678 log file sync                                 5              0           1           .1          0              5177 1328744198    3386400367           5 Commit                  33
                               678 latch: shared pool                           17              0           0          .01          0              2310 2696347763    3875070507           4 Concurrency             33
                               678 resmgr:cpu quantum                           64              0          88         1.37         29            879799 1452455426    2396326234          10 Scheduler               33
                               678 PX Deq: Join ACK                            396              0           2          .01          0             20849 4205438796    2723168908           6 Idle                    33
                               678 PX Deq: Parse Reply                         198              0           1          .01          0             10475 4255662421    2723168908           6 Idle                    33
                               678 PX Deq: Execute Reply                       708              0           9          .01          3             85317 2599037852    2723168908           6 Idle                    33
                               678 PX Deq: Table Q Normal                       94              0           0            0          0               204  799271425    2723168908           6 Idle                    33
                               678 SQL*Net message to client                   124              0           0            0          0               336 2067390145    2000153315           7 Network                 33
                               678 SQL*Net more data to client                  10              0          15         1.53         15            152684  554161347    2000153315           7 Network                 33
                               678 SQL*Net message from client                 123              0      687196      5586.96     224298        6871964897 1421975091    2723168908           6 Idle                    33
                               678 SQL*Net break/reset to client                 8              0          21         2.66          6            213085 1963888671    4217450380           1 Application             33
                               678 cell single block physical read          105284              0        3042          .03          2          30419630 2614864156    1740759767           8 User I/O                33
                               678 cell multiblock physical read             80296              0        4435          .06          2          44345672  443865681    1740759767           8 User I/O                33
                               678 cell list of blocks physical read         13025              0        2602           .2          1          26017880 3975960017    1740759767           8 User I/O                33
                               678 events in waitclass Other                   427              3           1            0          0              5090 1736664284    1893977003           0 Other                   33

SQL> select ss.value, sn.name from v$sesstat ss, v$statname sn where ss.statistic# = sn.statistic# and sid = 678 and value != 0 order by value;

VALUE NAME
                        -------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
                                           1 shared hash latch upgrades - wait
                                           1 commit cleanouts successfully completed
                                           1 user commits
                                           1 logons cumulative
                                           1 Heap Segment Array Updates
                                           1 deferred (CURRENT) block cleanout applications
                                           1 user logons cumulative
                                           1 redo synch time
                                           1 logons current
                                           1 min active SCN optimization applied on CR
                                           2 commit batch/immediate performed
                                           2 commit immediate performed
                                           2 pinned cursors current
                                           2 user rollbacks
                                           2 commit batch/immediate requested
                                           2 commit immediate requested
                                           2 transaction rollbacks
                                           4 redo synch writes
                                           4 redo write info find
                                           4 parse count (failures)
                                           4 redo synch time overhead count (  2ms)
                                           4 sql area evicted
                                           4 sql area purged
                                           5 calls to kcmgas
                                           5 opened cursors current
                                           5 Batched IO buffer defrag count
                                          11 immediate (CURRENT) block cleanout applications
                                          11 Block Cleanout Optim referenced
                                          14 Parallel operations not downgraded
                                          14 DFO trees parallelized
                                          14 queries parallelized
                                          15 change write time
                                          21 application wait time
                                          26 cursor authentications
                                          26 enqueue waits
                                          29 CCursor + sql area evicted
                                          44 table scans (short tables)
                                          91 scheduler wait time
                                          99 commit cleanout failures: callback failure
                                         100 commit cleanouts
                                         121 Requests to/from client
                                         121 workarea executions - optimal
                                         122 SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
                                         140 heap block compress
                                         215 session cursor cache count
                                         215 Batched IO double miss count
                                         228 sorts (memory)
                                         256 cluster key scans
                                         263 parse count (hard)
                                         316 parse time cpu
                                         401 index fetch by key
                                         413 cluster key scan block gets
                                         582 parse time elapsed
                                         611 redo synch time overhead (usec)
                                         646 messages sent
                                         746 cleanout - number of ktugct calls
                                         746 commit txn count during cleanout
                                         746 cleanouts only - consistent read gets
                                         746 immediate (CR) block cleanout applications
                                         781 redo subscn max counts
                                         818 physical reads for flashback new
                                         863 parse count (total)
                                         901 table scan blocks gotten
                                         950 user calls
                                         979 switch current to new buffer
                                       1,048 index scans kdiixs1
                                       1,162 pinned buffers inspected
                                       2,562 PX local messages sent
                                       2,562 PX local messages recv'd
                                       3,836 enqueue releases
                                       4,052 enqueue requests
                                       4,332 sorts (rows)
                                       5,000 HSC Compressed Segment Block Changes
                                       5,001 HSC Heap Segment Block Changes
                                       5,276 redo synch time (usec)
                                       5,396 Batched IO single block count
                                       9,001 index fast full scans (full)
                                      10,000 rollback changes - undo records applied
                                      10,085 user I/O wait time
                                      10,217 non-idle wait time
                                      10,728 table fetch continued row
                                      11,924 Batched IO (full) vector count
                                      26,174 physical read total multi block requests
                                      27,537 session cursor cache hits
                                      28,145 opened cursors cumulative
                                      28,263 execute count
                                      28,637 redo entries
                                      30,158 bytes received via SQL*Net from client
                                      31,890 recursive calls
                                      53,422 enqueue conversions
                                      56,473 db block changes
                                      66,042 hot buffers moved to head of LRU
                                      66,650 table scan disk non-IMC rows gotten
                                      76,583 dirty buffers inspected
                                      78,120 table scan rows gotten
                                      86,599 Batched IO (bound) vector count
                                      93,141 Batched IO vector read count
                                     115,464 bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
                                     127,499 rows fetched via callback
                                     129,760 consistent gets examination (fastpath)
                                     129,827 consistent gets examination
                                     150,758 calls to kcmgcs
                                     278,114 recursive cpu usage
                                     285,916 CPU used when call started
                                     285,978 CPU used by this session
                                     344,739 db block gets from cache (fastpath)
                                     398,951 non-idle wait count
                                     402,836 db block gets from cache
                                     402,836 db block gets
                                   1,091,766 physical read IO requests
                                   1,091,773 cell flash cache read hits
                                   1,091,773 physical read requests optimized
                                   1,091,773 physical read total IO requests
                                   1,111,097 in call idle wait time
                                   1,355,344 session uga memory
                                   1,404,664 DB time
                                   1,615,516 shared hash latch upgrades - no wait
                                   2,753,959 Batched IO same unit count
                                   2,820,029 physical reads cache prefetch
                                   2,893,454 Batched IO vector block count
                                   3,018,722 physical reads
                                   3,018,722 physical reads cache
                                   3,019,701 free buffer requested
                                   3,362,440 session pga memory
                                   4,116,156 free buffer inspected
                                   5,640,894 Batched IO block miss count
                                   5,806,224 undo change vector size
                                   6,938,816 session uga memory max
                                   8,594,990 buffer is pinned count
                                  11,135,992 redo size
                                  11,904,146 table fetch by rowid
                                  15,226,484 buffer is not pinned count
                                  17,190,536 session pga memory max
                                  23,656,667 calls to get snapshot scn: kcmgss
                                 100,790,062 file io wait time
                                 131,490,867 no work - consistent read gets
                                 131,777,876 consistent gets pin (fastpath)
                                 131,975,535 consistent gets pin
                                 132,105,362 consistent gets
                                 132,105,362 consistent gets from cache
                                 132,508,198 session logical reads
                               1,596,722,183 session connect time
                               1,596,722,183 process last non-idle time
                              24,729,370,624 physical read bytes
                              24,729,485,312 cell physical IO interconnect bytes
                              24,729,485,312 physical read total bytes optimized
                              24,729,485,312 physical read total bytes
                           1,085,507,158,016 logical read bytes from cache

SQL> select constraint_name, table_name, r_constraint_name, status, index_name from user_constraints where constraint_type = 'R' order by 2;

CONSTRAINT_NAME                TABLE_NAME                     R_CONSTRAINT_NAME              STATUS   INDEX_NAME
                        ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ -------- ------------------------------
                        CLAIMADJUSTMENTS_CLAIMID_FK    CLAIMADJUSTMENTS               CLAIMS_PK                      ENABLED
                        CLMADJSTMNTS_CLAIMREASONID_FK  CLAIMADJUSTMENTS               CLAIMREASONS_PK                ENABLED
                        CLAIMFILINGS_CLAIMID_FK        CLAIMFILINGS                   CLAIMS_PK                      ENABLED
                        CLAIMFILNGS_CLAIMFILINDCDID_FK CLAIMFILINGS                   CLAIMFILINGINDICATORCODES_PK   ENABLED
                        CLAIMS_STATEID_FK              CLAIMS                         STATES_PK                      ENABLED
                        CLAIMS_SOURCETYPEID_FK         CLAIMS                         SYSTEMTYPES_PK                 ENABLED
                        CLAIMS_CLAIMTYPEID_FK          CLAIMS                         SYSTEMTYPES_PK                 ENABLED
                        EXTRNLCAUSEINJURIES_CLAIMID_FK EXTERNALCAUSEOFINJURIES        CLAIMS_PK                      ENABLED
                        HCPCS_CLAIMID_FK               HCPCS                          CLAIMS_PK                      ENABLED
                        HCPCS_PARENTID_FK              HCPCS                          HCPCS_PK                       ENABLED
                        IDCPROCEDURECODES_CLAIMID_FK   IDCPROCEDURECODES              CLAIMS_PK                      ENABLED
                        OTHERDIAGNOSISCODES_CLAIMID_FK OTHERDIAGNOSISCODES            CLAIMS_PK                      ENABLED
                        REASONSFORVISIT_CLAIMID_FK     REASONSFORVISIT                CLAIMS_PK                      ENABLED
                        REQUESTCLAIMS_CLAIMID_FK       REQUESTCLAIMS                  CLAIMS_PK                      ENABLED
                        REQUESTCLAIMS_STATUSID_FK      REQUESTCLAIMS                  SYSTEMTYPES_PK                 ENABLED
                        REQUESTCLAIMS_REQUESTID_FK     REQUESTCLAIMS                  REQUESTS_PK                    ENABLED
                        REQUESTS_USERID_FK             REQUESTS                       USERS_PK                       ENABLED
                        REQUESTS_TYPEID_FK             REQUESTS                       SYSTEMTYPES_PK                 ENABLED
                        REQUESTS_STATUSID_FK           REQUESTS                       SYSTEMTYPES_PK                 ENABLED
                        SUBSCRIBERS_CLAIMID_FK         SUBSCRIBERS                    CLAIMS_PK                      ENABLED
                        SUBSCRBRS_PYRESPONSTYPEID_FK   SUBSCRIBERS                    SYSTEMTYPES_PK                 ENABLED
                        VALUECODES_CLAIMID_FK          VALUECODES                     CLAIMS_PK                      ENABLED

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

-gary

• 9. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column
                          Jonathan Lewis

How many rows should this have deleted from the CLOB table ?

Was it deleting ONLY from the CLOB table ?

Given the exercise you thought you'd done is it reasonable for Oracle to report 11,900,000 "table fetch by rowid" ? Given the most of your time was spent on physical read requests that number would tend to explan why there was a lot of time spent on the delete. (Even when almost all the reads were from the smart flash cache).

What were the rollbacks ? You had 2 "user rollbacks" which were also "transaction rollbacks" which between them applied exactly 10,000 "rollback changes - undo records applied"?

Can you explain why your stats show 28,000 executions.

Are any of the other tables declared as "row store compress advanced" ?

What's your setting for db_file_multiblock_read_count ?

For future reference, don't sort the session statistics by value - just don't sort them at all if they're for a single session, there's a default pattern that will appear that is usually repeatable across tests; sorting by value means statistics move randomly around the page and make it hard to find the useful information.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

• 10. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column

Jonathan

I just ran a new clean test and captured the run stats.

I deleted 1170 rows that took 22 minutes.

I am the only one in the database.

The delete was only from one(1) table that has the one (1) CLOB column where the maximum length of the CLOB column is 3073 bytes in the set of rows being deleted.

Data from V$SESSION_EVENT and V$SESSTAT were gathered after the DELETE operation had completed.

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
                            ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
                            db_file_multiblock_read_count        integer     128

SQL> select * from v$session_event where sid = 2689;

SID EVENT                                    TOTAL_WAITS TOTAL_TIMEOUTS TIME_WAITED AVERAGE_WAIT   MAX_WAIT TIME_WAITED_MICRO   EVENT_ID WAIT_CLASS_ID WAIT_CLASS# WAIT_CLASS                    CON_ID
                            ---------- ---------------------------------------- ----------- -------------- ----------- ------------ ---------- ----------------- ---------- ------------- ----------- ------------------------- ----------
                                  2689 Disk file operations I/O                          20              0           0            0          0               324  166678035    1740759767           8 User I/O                          33
                                  2689 log file sync                                      1              0           0          .01          0                98 1328744198    3386400367           5 Commit                            33
                                  2689 resmgr:cpu quantum                                18              0          18            1          3            179843 1452455426    2396326234          10 Scheduler                         33
                                  2689 SQL*Net message to client                         19              0           0            0          0                55 2067390145    2000153315           7 Network                           33
                                  2689 SQL*Net message from client                       18              0       18596      1033.13      18191         185962916 1421975091    2723168908           6 Idle                              33
                                  2689 cell single block physical read                42590              0        1276          .03          3          12764409 2614864156    1740759767           8 User I/O                          33
                                  2689 cell multiblock physical read                    201              0          27          .14          1            273031  443865681    1740759767           8 User I/O                          33

7 rows selected.

SQL> select ss.value, sn.name from v$sesstat ss, v$statname sn where ss.statistic# = sn.statistic# and sid = 2689 and value != 0;

VALUE NAME
                            ---------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
                                    18 Requests to/from client
                                     1 logons cumulative
                                     1 logons current
                                 10894 opened cursors cumulative
                                     4 opened cursors current
                                    26 user calls
                                 11399 recursive calls
                                129286 recursive cpu usage
                                     1 pinned cursors current
                                     1 user logons cumulative
                              56247801 session logical reads
                                129393 CPU used when call started
                                129393 CPU used by this session
                                130640 DB time
                                  1303 user I/O wait time
                                    17 scheduler wait time
                                  1321 non-idle wait time
                                 85659 non-idle wait count
                            1597071931 session connect time
                            1597071931 process last non-idle time
                                715440 session uga memory
                               1464920 session uga memory max
                                    11 messages sent
                               2707080 session pga memory
                               3362440 session pga memory max
                                  3570 enqueue requests
                                 22239 enqueue conversions
                                  3552 enqueue releases
                                 42791 physical read total IO requests
                                   152 physical read total multi block requests
                                 42791 physical read requests optimized
                             509517824 physical read total bytes optimized
                             509517824 physical read total bytes
                             509517824 cell physical IO interconnect bytes
                                 46721 db block gets
                                 46721 db block gets from cache
                                 27530 db block gets from cache (fastpath)
                              56201080 consistent gets
                              56201080 consistent gets from cache
                              56199734 consistent gets pin
                              56157457 consistent gets pin (fastpath)
                                  1346 consistent gets examination
                                  1346 consistent gets examination (fastpath)
                            4.6078E+11 logical read bytes from cache
                                 62197 physical reads
                                 62197 physical reads cache
                                 42791 physical read IO requests
                             509517824 physical read bytes
                                 15141 db block changes
                                     1 consistent changes
                                    10 change write time
                                 62789 free buffer requested
                                    11 dirty buffers inspected
                                     6 pinned buffers inspected
                                 53498 hot buffers moved to head of LRU
                                 54347 free buffer inspected
                                     1 commit cleanouts
                                     1 CR blocks created
                                   591 switch current to new buffer
                                 19406 physical reads cache prefetch
                                 10579 shared hash latch upgrades - no wait
                                   378 physical reads for flashback new
                                 58564 calls to kcmgcs
                                     2 calls to kcmgas
                                 14465 calls to get snapshot scn: kcmgss
                                  8679 redo entries
                               5255696 redo size
                                  1690 redo subscn max counts
                                   105 redo synch time (usec)
                                    23 redo synch time overhead (usec)
                                     1 redo synch time overhead count (  2ms)
                                     1 redo synch writes
                                     1 redo write info find
                              13037440 file io wait time
                               4088952 undo change vector size
                                     1 data blocks consistent reads - undo records applied
                              56139565 no work - consistent read gets
                                  1635 cleanouts only - consistent read gets
                                     1 cleanouts and rollbacks - consistent read gets
                                    35 immediate (CURRENT) block cleanout applications
                                  1636 immediate (CR) block cleanout applications
                                  1635 commit txn count during cleanout
                                     1 active txn count during cleanout
                                  1636 cleanout - number of ktugct calls
                                    35 Block Cleanout Optim referenced
                                    13 table scans (short tables)
                                    31 table scan rows gotten
                                    31 table scan disk non-IMC rows gotten
                                    13 table scan blocks gotten
                                  1412 table fetch by rowid
                                     1 table fetch continued row
                                   180 cluster key scans
                                   307 cluster key scan block gets
                                     7 rows fetched via callback
                                  3510 index fast full scans (full)
                                   210 index fetch by key
                                   215 index scans kdiixs1
                                  1171 HSC Compressed Segment Block Changes
                                  1172 HSC Heap Segment Block Changes
                                     8 sql area evicted
                                 10847 session cursor cache hits
                                    42 session cursor cache count
                                    10 cursor authentications
                                  1850 buffer is pinned count
                                  1777 buffer is not pinned count
                                    77 workarea executions - optimal
                                     4 parse time cpu
                                     5 parse time elapsed
                                    74 parse count (total)
                                    28 parse count (hard)
                                 10892 execute count
                                  6077 bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
                                  5901 bytes received via SQL*Net from client
                                    19 SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
                                   149 sorts (memory)
                                  1499 sorts (rows)
                                 42791 cell flash cache read hits

Thanks very much for your help!!!

-gary

• 11. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column
                              Jonathan Lewis

I think your foreign key constraints are declared as "on delete cascade" - so for every row you delete from the CLOB table Oracle goes through an attempt to delete from the 9 children in turn before deleting from the parent, with calls like:

delete from "SCHEMA"."CHILD_TABLE"

where "PARENT_ID" = :1

In most cases this is probably doing an index range scan (only) of the "foreign key" indexes.

It's possible that in a couple of cases it's doing an index fast full scan of the "foreign key" indexes - which may explain the 56M consistent gets and huge CPU utilisation.

For your 1170 rows deleted you can see:

• 10892 execute count  -- that's close to 9 * 1170  delete statements plus a little sys-recursive stuff
                              • 22239 enqueue conversions -- that 19 * 1170:  each child table will result in an up-convert/down-convert.  (I'll have to think about the 19th).
                              • 3510 index fast full scans (full)  -- that's 3 * 1170, which looks 3 "delete" calls using an index fast full scan.

I'm now wondering if all the extra time is due to the three index fast full scans - it's a path that wasn't originally available for a delete but became available in 12.2 (so maybe you've got the patch, or maybe it actually became available in 12.1).  I've got a note about this, including a case where a client hit a massive performance problem because of the index fast full scan: https://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/delete-costs/ The solution in that case probably wouldn't be relevant in your case, unfortunately; but the first thing, anyway, is to confirm that that's where the time is going.

You need to enable sql_trace and run the delete, then apply tkprof to the resulting trace file, with the option "sort=exeqry"; this will bring the queries that do most consistent gets to the top of the output, and will identify which child tables are the ones to investigate.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

UPDATE:  I just checked the fix_control list for 12.1.0.2 and there's this item in it:

17908541      QKSFM_ACCESS_PATH_17908541     consider index fast full scan on DELETE to non-IOT

So this means the delete using index fast full scan could happen with your platform.

If you want to do a quick and dirty test of the hypothesis you could set up a similar small delete and then:

alter session set "_fix_control"='17908541:0';

before starting the delete.

• 12. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column

Jonathan

I did a ROLLBACK from the first session to reclaim my target rows for testing.

I started a new session and after setting the parameter as directed the DELETE still took about 20 minutes.

Here are the details:

SQL> alter session set "_fix_control"='17908541:0';

Session altered.

Elapsed: 00:00:00.11
                                SQL> delete from claims where importdate < sysdate -445 and id > 150000;

1170 rows deleted.

Elapsed: 00:19:48.48
                                SQL>

SQL> select ss.value, sn.name from v$sesstat ss, v$statname sn where ss.statistic# = sn.statistic# and sid = 1059 and value != 0;

VALUE NAME
                                ---------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
                                        23 Requests to/from client
                                         1 logons cumulative
                                         1 logons current
                                     10565 opened cursors cumulative
                                         7 opened cursors current
                                        33 user calls
                                     10722 recursive calls
                                    118524 recursive cpu usage
                                         4 pinned cursors current
                                         1 user logons cumulative
                                  40335941 session logical reads
                                    118602 CPU used when call started
                                    118602 CPU used by this session
                                    118840 DB time
                                        10 user I/O wait time
                                       136 scheduler wait time
                                       146 non-idle wait time
                                       476 non-idle wait count
                                1597080681 session connect time
                                1597080681 process last non-idle time
                                    544696 session uga memory
                                    544696 session uga memory max
                                         1 messages sent
                                   2248328 session pga memory
                                   2838152 session pga memory max
                                      3574 enqueue requests
                                     22239 enqueue conversions
                                      3556 enqueue releases
                                       188 physical read total IO requests
                                       188 physical read requests optimized
                                   1540096 physical read total bytes optimized
                                   1540096 physical read total bytes
                                   1540096 cell physical IO interconnect bytes
                                     46934 db block gets
                                     46934 db block gets from cache
                                     27977 db block gets from cache (fastpath)
                                  40289007 consistent gets
                                  40289007 consistent gets from cache
                                  40288941 consistent gets pin
                                  40288941 consistent gets pin (fastpath)
                                        66 consistent gets examination
                                        66 consistent gets examination (fastpath)
                                3.3043E+11 logical read bytes from cache
                                       188 physical reads
                                       188 physical reads cache
                                       188 physical read IO requests
                                   1540096 physical read bytes
                                     13453 db block changes
                                         1 consistent changes
                                         8 change write time
                                       780 free buffer requested
                                        35 hot buffers moved to head of LRU
                                        52 free buffer inspected
                                         1 commit cleanouts
                                         1 CR blocks created
                                       591 switch current to new buffer
                                         1 shared hash latch upgrades - no wait
                                       188 physical reads for flashback new
                                        58 calls to kcmgcs
                                         2 calls to kcmgas
                                     14142 calls to get snapshot scn: kcmgss
                                      6992 redo entries
                                   5118304 redo size
                                        15 redo subscn max counts
                                         1 redo synch writes
                                    103309 file io wait time
                                   4089104 undo change vector size
                                         1 data blocks consistent reads - undo records applied
                                  40288936 no work - consistent read gets
                                         1 cleanouts and rollbacks - consistent read gets
                                         1 immediate (CR) block cleanout applications
                                         1 active txn count during cleanout
                                         1 cleanout - number of ktugct calls
                                         1 KTFB alloc req
                                   1048576 KTFB alloc space (block)
                                        42 KTFB alloc time (ms)
                                         1 KTFB apply req
                                         9 KTFB apply time (ms)
                                         3 table scans (short tables)
                                        21 table scan rows gotten
                                        21 table scan disk non-IMC rows gotten
                                         3 table scan blocks gotten
                                      1194 table fetch by rowid
                                         1 table fetch continued row
                                         2 cluster key scans
                                         2 cluster key scan block gets
                                        17 rows fetched via callback
                                        19 index fetch by key
                                        11 index scans kdiixs1
                                      1171 HSC Compressed Segment Block Changes
                                      1172 HSC Heap Segment Block Changes
                                         2 sql area evicted
                                         3 CCursor + sql area evicted
                                     10529 session cursor cache hits
                                        26 session cursor cache count
                                        11 cursor authentications
                                      1763 buffer is pinned count
                                       651 buffer is not pinned count
                                         2 workarea executions - optimal
                                         2 parse time cpu
                                         1 parse time elapsed
                                        50 parse count (total)
                                        31 parse count (hard)
                                     10559 execute count
                                      6939 bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
                                      7490 bytes received via SQL*Net from client
                                        24 SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
                                        15 sorts (memory)
                                         4 sorts (rows)
                                       188 cell flash cache read hits

113 rows selected.

SQL> select * from v$session_event where sid = 1059;

SID EVENT                                    TOTAL_WAITS TOTAL_TIMEOUTS TIME_WAITED AVERAGE_WAIT   MAX_WAIT TIME_WAITED_MICRO   EVENT_ID WAIT_CLASS_ID WAIT_CLASS# WAIT_CLASS                    CON_ID
                                ---------- ---------------------------------------- ----------- -------------- ----------- ------------ ---------- ----------------- ---------- ------------- ----------- ------------------------- ----------
                                      1059 Disk file operations I/O                          20              0           0            0          0               305  166678035    1740759767           8 User I/O                          33
                                      1059 resmgr:cpu quantum                                28              0         136         4.86         43           1361254 1452455426    2396326234          10 Scheduler                         33
                                      1059 SQL*Net message to client                         24              0           0            0          0                88 2067390145    2000153315           7 Network                           33
                                      1059 SQL*Net message from client                       23              0       11436       497.21       4053         114357267 1421975091    2723168908           6 Idle                              33
                                      1059 cell single block physical read                  188              0          10          .05          3            103309 2614864156    1740759767           8 User I/O                          33

5 rows selected.

Are you suggesting I should change the FK definitions to NOT do a 'on delete cascade'?   It looks like 'CASCADE' and 'SET NULL' would both search the other tables for related rows.

In this case I have already deleted any related rows based on the list of IDs (claims) that meet the criteria.

Is there a way to force the database to NOT read the related tables?

I'm going to review the values you commented on to see how they're relevant to add to my understanding.

Thanks very much for your help!!

-gary

• 13. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column
                                  Jonathan Lewis

It is worth noting that setting that parameter has had the expected effect. The number of "index fast full scans" has dropped by 3,510, even though the execution count has not changed; and the number of consistent gets has dropped from 56M to 40M - which gives us some idea of how big the three indexes were.

I will repeat

You need to enable sql_trace and run the delete, then apply tkprof to the resulting trace file, with the option "sort=exeqry"; this will bring the queries that do most consistent gets to the top of the output, and will identify which child tables are the ones to investigate.

I am NOT telling you to change the constraint definition, I'm telling you where I think the work is going, and while the constraint are defined with ON DELETE CASCADE we will be able to see the delete statement that Oracle has to run and we will see how expensive each one is. Alternatively we may see that none of the delete statements is at all expensive and that will tell us that we have to look elsewhere for the problem.

An alternative way of measuing - if you can't get at trace files but can get a dynamic performance views - is to query v$segment_statistics

SQL> desc v$segment_statistics

Name                                      Null?    Type

----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------

OWNER                                              VARCHAR2(128)

OBJECT_NAME                                        VARCHAR2(128)

SUBOBJECT_NAME                                     VARCHAR2(128)

TABLESPACE_NAME                                    VARCHAR2(30)

TS#                                                NUMBER

OBJ#                                               NUMBER

DATAOBJ#                                           NUMBER

OBJECT_TYPE                                        VARCHAR2(18)

STATISTIC_NAME                                     VARCHAR2(64)

STATISTIC#                                         NUMBER

VALUE                                              NUMBER

CON_ID                                             NUMBER

You're interested in the names of the parent table, the lob segment, the lob index, and all the foreign key indexes on the child tables, (and, I suppose, the child tables themselves).  The statistic_name you want to report  is: 'logical reads'.  Since it's a global view you'll have to:

query v$segment_statistics

run your delete

query v$segment_statistics

and then find the difference between the two sets of stats.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

P.S.  You may have deleted all the related rows, but the optimizer doesn't know this and that's why it runs the delete statement. Although Oracle is NOT reporting tablescans I do wonder if some large fraction of the consistent gets is about tablescans, and that's why the extended trace is the ideal strategy. Another possibility is that some of the foreign key indexes have developed very long regions of empty blocks following your bulk delete tests and Oracle is having to walk through lots of empty index leaf blocks to find that there's no data. The reason why leaving Oracle to the default "on delete restrict" would make a difference is that Oracle would only try to lock the related index leaf blocks it wouldn't be trying to to optimise a delete statement - and that might make a difference to the work needed.

• 14. Re: Best practice to delete rows with a CLOB column
                                    Jonathan Lewis

A possible solution to the tablescan puzzle has occurred to me, Oracle may be running the delete child statements as index skip scans (or even index full scans) on a very bad choice of index.  It makes me wonder what your "optimizer_index_%' parameters look like - have they be set to values that hide the actual cost of indexed accesses. (e.g. optimizer_index_cost_adjust = 1, optimizer_index_caching = 100).

Another option (and simpler than the v$segment_statistics one) if you can't get at trace files is to run the delete and then query v$sql:

select sql_id, child_number, executions, buffer_gets, rows_processed, sql_text

from v$sql

where sql_text like ' delete%'  -- note the leading space

order by last_active_time

/

What you're looking for is the recursive deletes on the child tables where the number of buffer_gets is very large (or very large per execution). The rows_processed should be zero, of course, if you've deleted all the related rows from the child table before deleting from the CLOB table.

The full text should look like the following (and the leading space is supposed to be there):

' delete from "TEST_USER"."T2" where "ID_PAR" = :1'

If you spot any suspect statements with very large values of buffer_gets then you can do:

select * from table(dbms_xplan.display_cursor({sql_id},{child_number},'outline'));

to get the execution plan and optimizer environment details.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

1 2 3 Previous Next