10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2020 1:55 PM by EdStevens

Tips for upgradeing SQLDev

EdStevens

Ok, I know that the basic installation on Windows is to simply unzip the distribution into a new folder, no 'install.exe' or such.  But what about "upgrading" ... that is, one already has an earlier version installed at 'C:\Program Files\sqldeveloper'.  Dont want to just overlay that and end up blowing away configuration info.

• 1. Re: Tips for upgradeing SQLDev
          Glen Conway

No worries about overwriting configuration information.  It is stored in a separate location from the unzip target folder.  Basically there are four things to look at...

1) Always unzip a SQL Developer download into an empty folder. Never overwrite an existing install. If you want to use C:\Program Files, recommend adding the version as a suffix to the sqldeveloper folder name.

2) The user settings are, by default, stored in C:\Users\<yourUserid>\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system<LongVersion>.  So the 20.2 version user settings are in system20.2.0.175.1842

3) Some stuff, like the CodeTemplate.xml, SqlHistory.xml, UserReports.xml, and UserSnippets.xml are shared across all versions in C:\Users\<yourUserid>\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer

4) Control JVM memory limits and which JDK is used by configuring the product.conf file for a specific version. These are found in C:\Users\<yourUserid>\AppData\Roaming\sqldeveloper\<ShortVersion>

Note the difference between (2) and (4):  SQL Developer versus sqldeveloper.  Also, prior to version 4.0, the JVM and JDK stuff in product.conf was kept in sqldeveloper.conf under the unzip install folder's bin directory.

Finally (I just cannot seem to stop!), if you want to change the Windows default location shown in (2), add the following to your sqldeveloper,conf file:

AddVMOption -Dide.user.dir=<OwningDirectoryOfAllsystem<LongVersion>Directories>

Cheers

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tips for upgradeing SQLDev
            thatJeffSmith-Oracle
            • download new version
            • unzip to a NEW folder
            • run the base directory sql developer exe
            • say 'Yes' to importing your previous settings (choose the version)
            • after you've used the new version and you're happy with it, feel free to delete your old version
            • 3. Re: Tips for upgradeing SQLDev
              EdStevens

thanks for the tips and background info.

• 4. Re: Tips for upgradeing SQLDev
                EdStevens

Thanks Jeff ,  exactly what I needed.

• 5. Re: Tips for upgradeing SQLDev
                  EdStevens

thatJeffSmith-Oracle wrote:

• download new version
                  • unzip to a NEW folder
                  • run the base directory sql developer exe
                  • say 'Yes' to importing your previous settings (choose the version)
                  • after you've used the new version and you're happy with it, feel free to delete your old version

Maybe I replied a bit hastily.

Before posting here, I downloaded into my downloads directory (sqldeveloper-20.2.0.175.1842-x64.zip), then unzipped it in-place, thus createing directory  sqldeveloper-20.2.0.175.1842-x64 as a a subdir of downloads.  I then drilled down to sqldeveloper-20.2.0.175.1842-x64\sqldeveloper and launched sqldeveloper.exe.  It asked about importing, and knowing I wasn't really ready until I got it out of downloads and into its permenant home, said 'no'..

Then I posted my question here.

Since I already unzipped in the downlods directory, I just renamed the 'sqldeveloper' folder to 'sqldeveloper_20', then copied that to c:\Program Files.  From there I launched sqldeveloper.exe.  It id not ask about importing anything.  It came up with no defined connections, but did have my user scripts.

??

• 6. Re: Tips for upgradeing SQLDev
                    Günter

Try to delete directory  C:\Users\<yourwindowsuser>\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system20.2.0.175.1842

Then start sqldeveloper again - now you should again asked for importing your previous settings

Regards Günter

• 7. Re: Tips for upgradeing SQLDev
                      thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Right so on first time startup it will build out the system directory for that version's settings.

If it's not there, it'll set it up AND ask about importing.

Once you say 'no' and run it again from a different location, it sees that directory is already there and won't prompt again.

So you can either

- nuke the directory and run it again, say YES this time

- manually copy over the files yourself, will work for everything but connection passwords

- export and import using the GUI for the two versions, things like connections, keyboard shortcuts, formatter rules, etc

• 8. Re: Tips for upgradeing SQLDev
                        EdStevens

Günter wrote:

Try to delete directory C:\Users\<yourwindowsuser>\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system20.2.0.175.1842

Then start sqldeveloper again - now you should again asked for importing your previous settings

Regards Günter

This is weird, there is no AppData folder ...

C:\Users\estevens>dir

Volume in drive C has no label.

Volume Serial Number is 327E-968D

Directory of C:\Users\estevens

09/10/2020  08:35 AM    <DIR>          .

09/10/2020  08:35 AM    <DIR>          ..

12/12/2018  11:37 AM    <DIR>          .ssh

09/08/2020  02:33 PM    <DIR>          .VirtualBox

11/19/2019  07:30 AM    <DIR>          3D Objects

11/19/2019  07:30 AM    <DIR>          Contacts

09/09/2020  09:35 AM    <DIR>          Documents

09/10/2020  07:08 AM    <DIR>          Downloads

11/19/2019  07:30 AM    <DIR>          Favorites

11/19/2019  07:30 AM    <DIR>          Links

11/19/2019  07:30 AM    <DIR>          Music

03/05/2019  02:46 PM    <DIR>          ODBA

09/02/2020  06:36 AM    <DIR>          OneDrive

09/02/2020  06:36 AM    <DIR>          OneDrive - <my company name>

12/11/2018  10:06 AM    <DIR>          Oracle

11/19/2019  07:30 AM    <DIR>          Saved Games

11/19/2019  07:30 AM    <DIR>          Searches

10/31/2019  02:24 PM    <DIR>          utilities

11/19/2019  07:30 AM    <DIR>          Videos

0 File(s)              0 bytes

19 Dir(s)  58,898,579,456 bytes free

• 9. Re: Tips for upgradeing SQLDev
                          Günter

It is a hidden folder:

1. Access the Control Panel. ...
                          2. Type "folder" into the search bar and select Show hidden files and folders.
                          3. Then, click on the View tab at the top of the window.
                          4. Under Advanced Settings, locate "Hidden files and folders." Select Show hidden files and folders just below that.
                          5. Click on OK.
                          • 10. Re: Tips for upgradeing SQLDev
                            EdStevens

Got it.  All is good now.

Thanks Gunter and Jeff.