3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2020 4:56 PM by Glen Conway

java.lang.NullPointerException in SQL Developer 3.0

Hi,

for some days, I've been getting the error:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at oracle.jdevimpl.vcs.svn.SVNProfile.canActivate(SVNProfile.java:162)

at oracle.jdevimpl.vcs.generic.GenericClient.fireCanActivate(GenericClient.java:1629)

when I open SQL Developer 3.0 on client 32bits for Oracle 10gR2 64bits

It seems not to give problems, because I ignore the error and for all the day I can work perfectly on data, stored, ... but what's the problem with this error?

I use an old version SQL Developer 3.0 because the last version is too slow and it often interrupts (and I cant't find the SQL Developer 4.2 version on web to download)

What can I test on my PC? Java version is 8

Thanks in advance!

Mark

• 1. Re: java.lang.NullPointerException in SQL Developer 3.0
          Glen Conway

As a practical matter, if everything else is working and you do not use Subversion to manage code in a version control repository, then you can probably ignore the error.  But beware of using very old SQL Developer versions with Java versions they were not intended for.

I believe 3.x went with Java 6. Probably Java 8 was not well-supported until 4.1 &up.

Does Help > About > Properties really show a java.home of jdk1.8<something>?  Does your sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.conf contain a SetJavaHome line for the same? Possibly your download of 3.x came bundled with a jdk (is there a sqldeveloper\jdk\jre\java.exe in the install directory structure?) and actually Java 6 is being used.

Anyway, I suspect the real solution is get a new laptop or desktop with SSD and upgrade to the latest version!

Cheers

• 2. Re: java.lang.NullPointerException in SQL Developer 3.0

This is what I've found

In Help > About > Properties : java.runtime.version 1.6.0_11-b03

In sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.conf : SetJavaHome ../../jdk

Is it possibile to find SQL Developer 4.1 or 4.2 ? It could solve  the problem, but it is no longer available on Oracle website

• 3. Re: java.lang.NullPointerException in SQL Developer 3.0
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Use version 20.2, if you're having issues with that, we can actually help you.

Not much we can do for software released a decade ago. Same input as on StackOverflow.

• 4. Re: java.lang.NullPointerException in SQL Developer 3.0
                Glen Conway

There is a "Previous Version" link on the download page for each version, but today (literally today, I just checked!) that only takes you back as far as the 19.1 release. I believe support for access to earlier versions got zapped within the last 18 to 24 months, so no joy. Sorry.

Edit:

One more comment, but with regard to performance. If your Windows is 32-bit (SQL Developer runs under Java 32-bit with that bundled jdk in use; plus you say Oracle client is 32-bit), then it may just be a memory limitation most responsible for the poor performance. A 64-bit OS running on a system with solid state disk is the configuration you want.