1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2006 5:47 PM by 541897 Go to original post
      • 15. Re: HTMLDB not working after install Event ID 34 in Event Viewer on start o
        Yes, I only have one user defined in XP and that
        user
        is an Administrator.
        Great. And since I assume you are using XP Pro (and
        not XP Home), would you please check that the user
        belong to the ORA_DBA group.
        Hans,

if OP has only one user on that machine following must be true:
        - with that user XE is installed
        - that user is member of ORA_DBA cause XE joins during installation user to that group automatically

Cheers and sorry for off-topic.
        • 16. Re: HTMLDB not working after install Event ID 34 in Event Viewer on start o
          Hans Forbrich
          Unless there was a failure in creating the ORA_DBA group.

The purpose of my question was two-fold:

1) verify that the ORA_DBA group was created, and
          2) verify that the OP used XP Pro ... so far, we have not determined more than 'XP'

In case you have not caught on ... I usually try to eliminate assumptions.
          • 17. Re: HTMLDB not working after install Event ID 34 in Event Viewer on start of DB
            I am running:

Windows XP
            Professional
            Version 2002
            Service Pack 2

I have nothing in any of the folders in the XE directory (adump, bdump, cdump, dpdump, pfile or udump). I'm not sure how to see if I am in the ORA_DBA group but it sounds like I would be automatically at install since I have only one user on my machine.
            • 18. Re: HTMLDB not working after install Event ID 34 in Event Viewer on start o
              Hans Forbrich
              Thanks. As I'd mentioned, I think it's very important to eliminate any assume-ptions, as they tend to bite me in the ... later.

To review:

- entering the password when attempting to log on as sysdba fails using Oracle Networking;
              - - (could be a security issue ... sqlnet.ora file)
              - it also fails when trying to access using bequeath adapter (no @XE);
              - - (doesn't even get to the networking, ignore previous)
              - apparently part of the XE install completed, since the software is in place;
              - - (on linux, I'd be verifying the ORACLE_HOME/bin contents permissions, to see whether SELinux was disabled at install)
              - the services apparently start up fine, and (I assume) there are no messages in the system logs;
              - - (startup and operating are apparently different things)
              - by definition, the user is the same as the oracle owner.

Some of the next things to look at would include:

- are we working with a default install, or perhaps one that installs in D: drive (or other);
              - was this the first and only Oracle on the machine;
              - did the actual database get created;
              - are the any logs in the ORACLE_HOME/install, ORACLE_HOME/logs directories;
              - are there any notes in the alert_xe.log file.

On that last, you indicate that there is absolutely nothing in the bdump directory, yet there should be at least an alert_xe.log ... makes me think the database did not get created.

Message was edited by:
              forbrich
              • 19. Re: HTMLDB not working after install Event ID 34 in Event Viewer on start of DB
                I'll address your next things to look at below but first, one comment about your assumptions. As one of my earlier posts points out, the services APPEAR to start up just fine but the Event Viewer shows an informational message about Event ID 34 on the oracle xe process.

- are we working with a default install, or perhaps one that installs in D: drive (or other)?
                Yes, this is a default install to my C: drive

- was this the first and only Oracle on the machine;
                This is NOT the first instance of Oracle, I had 9i first. I de-installed that, deleted system variables and registry settings and then installed XE

- did the actual database get created;
                I don't know, never been able to connect to find out.

- are the any logs in the ORACLE_HOME/install, ORACLE_HOME/logs directories;
                Yes, I do see a log in ORACLE_HOME/log/danger/client/css.log
                Here is what it contains:
                [  OCRUTL][1296]u_set_comp_error: Parameter was NULL
                [  OCRUTL][1296]u_set_ocr_error: Parameter was NULL
                2006-10-30 08:36:47.875: [  OCROSD][1296]utgdv:1:could not open registry key SOFTWARE\Oracle\ocr os error The system could not find the environment option that was entered.

[  OCRUTL][1296]u_set_gbl_comp_error: Parameter was NULL
                [  OCRUTL][1296]u_set_gbl_comp_error: Parameter was NULL
                2006-10-30 08:36:47.875: [  OCRRAW][1296]proprinit: Could not open raw device
                2006-10-30 08:36:47.875: [ default][1296]a_init:7!: Backend init unsuccessful : [33]
                [  OCRUTL][1296]u_set_ocr_error: Parameter was NULL
                2006-10-30 08:36:47.875: [ CSSCLNT][1296]clsssinit: error(33 ) in OCR initialization

- are there any notes in the alert_xe.log file.
                I can find no such file anywhere on my C: drive
                • 20. Re: HTMLDB not working after install Event ID 34 in Event Viewer on start of DB
                  Here is more valuable information. I have no spfileXE.ora in my ORACLE_HOME/dbs folder either. I've found many other references to this file in logs as well. For instance, I see this in the ORACLE_HOME/database/oradim.log

Mon Oct 30 08:36:45 2006
                  C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\bin\oradim.exe -startup -sid xe -usrpwd * -log oradim.log -nocheck 0
                  Mon Oct 30 08:36:46 2006
                  ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
                  ORA-01565: error in identifying file 'C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\dbs/spfileXE.ora'
                  ORA-27041: unable to open file
                  OSD-04002: unable to open file
                  O/S-Error: (OS 2) The system cannot find the file specified.
                  • 21. Re: HTMLDB not working after install Event ID 34 in Event Viewer on start o
                    Hans Forbrich
                    Now we are probably getting closer. You definitely have a hooped install of XE, and it's likely that this was corrupted by the previous Oracle9i install.

Oracle installations have traditionally left a lot of chicken-tracks in the Windows registry, even after an apparently successful deinstall. There have been a number of real issues with installing XE unless the registry has been made squeeky-clean.

If there are no other Oracle products currently on the machine, I'd strongly encourage

- deinstall XE (using the deinstall method in the docs) ... this will likely indicate a type of failure;
                    - reboot the machine;
                    - browse the registry for any indication of 'oracle' and 'tns', and remove any that are obviously useless (if you are comfortable with registry changes);
                    - attempt a reinstall of XE.
                    • 22. Re: HTMLDB not working after install Event ID 34 in Event Viewer on start o
                      Wow, looks like this did the trick. I found some registry keys that I didn't clean up the last time. That must have been what caused the problems. So far so good. Thanks everyone for all your help!
                      • 24. Re: HTMLDB not working after install Event ID 34 in Event Viewer on start o
                        Ok, I'm back. I'm still having some problems. I got everything working again earlier this week but now today, I'm broken again. I can't get the listener to start up today. I was comparing the listener.log file on my machine to one on a machine where it is working correctly and found this. When I shut down yesterday, I got this error message in my log file that doesn't appear on the other machine: TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact. Now when I go in to start the listener service, I get and error message saying it started and then stopped right away. Any thoughts?
                        • 25. Re: HTMLDB not working after install Event ID 34 in Event Viewer on start o
                          I thought I should post what I eventually arrived at for a conclusion. I had to change both the XE service and TNSListener service to be manual start instead of automatic. Now when I want to run my local XE database, I just have to go manually start the services and I've never had another problem. Very strange. It must have something to do with the order of execution when starting windows services automatically. Hopefully posting this doesn't jinx me!
                          1 2 Previous Next