8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2007 4:43 AM by 325351 RSS

Feedback on the ILM Assistant

We would be very interested to hear your feedback on the ILM Assistant, be it good or bad. Do you have any experiences that you can share with us.

Lilian
        • 1. Re: Feedback on the ILM Assistant
          mjensen
          As I tried to install ILM-Assistant 1.0 on 10.2.0.3 + APEX 2.2.1 I had NLS_LANG set to Danish. This gave me a number of issues where packaged did return errors.

These errors disappeared after a reinstall with NLS_LANG set to American.
          • 2. Re: Feedback on the ILM Assistant
            I am sorry that you had these problems, this is a known issue and we are working towards a solution for this. For the moment the workaround is to set your language to an english one.

Lilian
            • 3. Re: Feedback on the ILM Assistant
              mjensen
              Hi

Just showed the simulation stuff with the savings to some of our presale persons, and they atriculated that they are now in a much better position to understand and pitch ILM.

I'm still playing arround the system. So I hope you will excuse some more questions and suggestions.

---
              Can the Cost per Gb be in any other currency than $? (Cosmetic - maybe just removing $)

---

In the Manage Logical Storage Tier: Preferred Read Only Tablespace: ones set, how can it be set to blank? (Cosmetic)

---

In Manage Lifecycle Definition - Selecting quater or year stage durations - suggest that the start and end-dates are alligned with quater and year start and end dates

--

In Manage Lifecycle Definition - How can I change 'forever' in the final stage to a historical date?

--

In the Compare Signed Result Set Digital Signature: How do I get: Supply the previously-generated digital signature for this signed result set.

--

In my schema the USER_AUDIT looks like this:

CREATE TABLE "ILM_DEMO"."USER_AUDIT"
              (     "AUD_NO" VARCHAR2(16) NOT NULL ENABLE,
                   "ENTRY_DT" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE,
                   "DESCRIPTION" VARCHAR2(30) NOT NULL ENABLE
              ) PCTFREE 5 PCTUSED 40 INITRANS 1 MAXTRANS 255 NOLOGGING
              STORAGE(
              BUFFER_POOL DEFAULT)
              TABLESPACE "ILM_DEMO"
              PARTITION BY RANGE ("ENTRY_DT")
              (PARTITION "OLD_AUD2" VALUES LESS THAN (TO_DATE(' 2003-01-01 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIAN'))
              PCTFREE 5 PCTUSED 40 INITRANS 1 MAXTRANS 255 NOLOGGING
              STORAGE(INITIAL 65536 NEXT 1048576 MINEXTENTS 1 MAXEXTENTS 2147483645
              PCTINCREASE 0 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1 BUFFER_POOL DEFAULT)
              TABLESPACE "ILMDEMO_11" NOCOMPRESS ,
              PARTITION "OLD_AUD" VALUES LESS THAN (TO_DATE(' 2004-01-01 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIAN'))
              PARTITION "RECENT_AUD" VALUES LESS THAN (TO_DATE(' 2005-01-01 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIAN'))
              PARTITION "NEW_AUD" VALUES LESS THAN (TO_DATE(' 2006-01-01 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIAN'))
              TABLESPACE "ILMDEMO_13" NOCOMPRESS ) ENABLE ROW MOVEMENT

Should a partition be added to include rows less than MAXVALUE?

Have an excellent Xmas to all of you - Martin
              • 4. Re: Feedback on the ILM Assistant
                Martin,

To answer your questions

1. Can the Cost per Gb be in any other currency than $? (Cosmetic - maybe just removing $)

Yes it displays according to your language. e,g, mine is set to GB so my currency automaically shows as £

2.In the Manage Logical Storage Tier: Preferred Read Only Tablespace: ones set, how can it be set to blank? (Cosmetic)

It is blank by deafult, are you saying you want to set it back to be blank having set it originally

3.In Manage Lifecycle Definition - Selecting quater or year stage durations - suggest that the start and end-dates are alligned with quater and year start and end dates

don't understand your question here. When you define a lifecycle definintion you set the start date there and it cannot be altered

4.In Manage Lifecycle Definition - How can I change 'forever' in the final stage to a historical date?

You cannot change it to an historical date, It will be set forever necause you said remain online. If you had selected purge or achive as your end of life action, then the date would automatically be set by the lifecycle duration

5.In the Compare Signed Result Set Digital Signature: How do I get: Supply the previously-generated digital signature for this signed result set.

You have to enter the digital signature manually. You would have stored this somewhere and simply type it or paste it into the box

6.In my schema the USER_AUDIT looks like this:

CREATE TABLE "ILM_DEMO"."USER_AUDIT"
                (     "AUD_NO" VARCHAR2(16) NOT NULL ENABLE,
                     "ENTRY_DT" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE,
                     "DESCRIPTION" VARCHAR2(30) NOT NULL ENABLE
                ) PCTFREE 5 PCTUSED 40 INITRANS 1 MAXTRANS 255 NOLOGGING
                STORAGE(
                BUFFER_POOL DEFAULT)
                TABLESPACE "ILM_DEMO"
                PARTITION BY RANGE ("ENTRY_DT")
                (PARTITION "OLD_AUD2" VALUES LESS THAN (TO_DATE(' 2003-01-01 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIAN'))
                PARTITION "OLD_AUD" VALUES LESS THAN (TO_DATE(' 2004-01-01 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIAN'))
                PARTITION "RECENT_AUD" VALUES LESS THAN (TO_DATE(' 2005-01-01 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIAN'))
                PARTITION "NEW_AUD" VALUES LESS THAN (TO_DATE(' 2006-01-01 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIAN'))
                TABLESPACE "ILMDEMO_13" NOCOMPRESS ) ENABLE ROW MOVEMENT

Should a partition be added to include rows less than MAXVALUE?

I'll let Greg respond on this one

Lilian
                • 5. Re: Feedback on the ILM Assistant
                  Regarding item 6:

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Are you requesting a partition that would catch all future data, or do you mean to catch all data that falls below a certain date?

Thanks,

Greg
                  • 6. Re: Feedback on the ILM Assistant
                    mjensen
                    1. Unfortunately non of the supported languages supports DKR - And as I'm not capable in German og French, I'll stick to US untill Danish is supported

2.In the Manage Logical Storage Tier: Preferred Read Only Tablespace: ones set, how can it be set to blank? (Cosmetic)

It is blank by deafult, are you saying you want to set it back to be blank having set it originally

Yes. I did set this attribute, and wanted to revert that setting ...

3.In Manage Lifecycle Definition - Selecting quater or year stage durations - suggest that the start and end-dates are alligned with quater and year start and end dates

don't understand your question here. When you define a lifecycle definintion you set the start date there and it cannot be altered

Suppose I have the following 5 stages:

Current M - 1 Month 01-Dec-2006     31-Dec-2006     
                    Previous 3M - 3 Months 01-Sep-2006     30-Nov-2006
                    Previous 3Q - 3 Quaters 01-Dec-2005     31-Aug-2006
                    Previous 3Y - 3 Years 01-Dec-2002     30-Nov-2005
                    Historical -      30-Nov-2002

Here I did expect 'Previous 3Q' to cover real Quaters like 01-Jan-2006     30-Sep-2006,
                    and 'Previous 3Y' to cover real years alligned

4.In Manage Lifecycle Definition - How can I change 'forever' in the final stage to a historical date?

You cannot change it to an historical date, It will be set forever necause you said remain online. If you had selected purge or achive as your end of life action, then the date would automatically be set by the lifecycle duration

I see - I'll drop and recreate this lifecycle - Thanks

5.In the Compare Signed Result Set Digital Signature: How do I get: Supply the previously-generated digital signature for this signed result set.

You have to enter the digital signature manually. You would have stored this somewhere and simply type it or paste it into the box.

OK - But where do I find the digital signature to use? - I thought it was generated automatically and kept inside ILMA?

I'm only suggesting that range partitioned tables to be generally protected by MAXVALUE, in order to cover the whole value range.

Thanks for your fast reply - and happy Xmas - Martin
                    • 7. Re: Feedback on the ILM Assistant
                      Hello,

I'm testing ILMA in my organization for a new project that will be implemented soon. This is a very big project and it will become a critical resource for the organization in short term. This project will involve billions and billions of records. My job in this moment is test ILMA and later defend it (or not) to be implemented in the project. What I need to know in this moment is if anyone as test and/or implemented ILMA in a "very large database". Is there a limit to ILMA? Does anyone has documentation about "how many information does ILMA support?". I apply ILMA to a table that has 20.000.000 rows and it isn't working how it was supposed. The “PFUTURE” partition is not actualized. It isn't assigned to any stage of the lifecycle since two days ago! That´s when I increased the amount of data in the table that I'm testing. The partitions that already exists work fine. ILMA suggests the correct actions (move, drop, …).

Best Regards.

Óscar
                      • 8. Re: Feedback on the ILM Assistant
                        We have tested the ILM assistant against large Oracle Applicaion schemas which contain many objects which is why some updates were made in the new v1.1 release.

We are not aware of any limitations which respect to VLDB.

I don't understand your question of how many information does it support. If you mean tables, there is no limit, but you must use v1.1 if you have many tables.

What do you mean the PFUTURE partition is not actualized.

I suggest that we further this discussion directly. Please send me email at Lilian.Hobbs@oracle.com so we can chat directly.