This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2010 12:56 AM by 821728 RSS

Oracle WMS and Oracle RFID

551794 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

Iam in the process of writing a POC on how Oracle WMS 11 i 10 in combination with RFID Technology can be used Successfully.

I have gone through the Presentations /user guides given in the oracle Site.
What I need is a practical Guide that would tell me step by step on how this can be done in real time.

By knowing this I can try doing one such implementation using the Exact API's etc

Thanks in Advance for your time!

Regards
Gayathri
gayathrin@hcl.in
  • 1. Re: Oracle WMS and Oracle RFID
    525762 Newbie
    Gayathri

Oracle WMS supports the following RFID related features:

a) RFID compliant label generation
    b) RFID triggerd receipt and shipments
    c) Pack verification using RFID readers and tags

In addition many application flows can be RFID enabled using customization in conjunction with Oracle Sensor edge server and public APIs in Oracle.

The hardware and software requirements would depend on what solution footprint is chosen e.g. if you need only RFID compliant label generation you will only need RFID enabled XML printer and RFID media. No additional software, RFID reader or tags are needed.

Howerver if you need to support RFID triggered transactions e.g. receipt of items in WMS when a RFID tag is detected on inbound dock door, you will need following components:

a. Oracle Sensor Edge Server
    b. RFID reader (Oracle Sensor edge server supports drivers for most commonly used Readers)
    c. RFID tags (Gen2, ISO, etc. Make sure that selected RFID reader is capable of reading these tags)

In order to use RFID related features, you will need to configure reader as devices. The details are available in WMS implementation guide that you can download from Metalkink. I can not give you a cost estimate for readers and tags, since there are mutiple options available. You should contact the RFID reader and tag manufacturers for details.

Thanks

-Aditya
  • 2. Re: Oracle WMS and Oracle RFID
    555161 Newbie
    Hello Aditya,

Is there any API support for the data integration to Oracle WMS?
    Please send the link from where we can find the same..

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shrinagu..
  • 3. Re: Oracle WMS and Oracle RFID
    525762 Newbie
    Hi

Oracle WMS has number of APIs. Your best bet would be to use either the metalink documentation or integration repository to get the details.

Details about integration repository is available here.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/applications/integration/irep%20datasheet.pdf

Thanks
  • 4. Re: Oracle WMS and Oracle RFID
    438962 Newbie
    Oracle WMS supports the following RFID related features:

a) RFID compliant label generation
    b) RFID triggerd receipt and shipments
    c) Pack verification using RFID readers and tags

Based on what I've read, I agree that out-of-the-box RFID support is available for shipping and receiving. However, I do not see any support for "pack verification", although I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that.

Also, it appears RFID support is only at the LPN level, and cannot be easily used to track cases or items.

Jesse
  • 5. Re: Oracle WMS and Oracle RFID
    525762 Newbie
    Jesse

The pack verification relates to nested LPNs e.g if a nested pallet LPN has carton LPNs the RFID enabled pack verification checks if a target threshold % of tags are read when a pallet LPN is passed in front of reader.

Hope it helps

-Aditya
  • 6. Re: Oracle WMS and Oracle RFID
    80747 Newbie
    I have a situation where the client just wants Oracle WMS and use ManMan. What are the minimum needs in terms of implementing other modules? Inv, OM, AR, BOM, WIP, PO? The client wants to use their legacy for all other needs and use WMS in total.

Thanks
    Rama
  • 7. Re: Oracle WMS and Oracle RFID
    751670 Newbie
    Can't RFID be integrated to Inventory module directly, skipping WMS installation at all ? Can it be done using oracle SES ?
  • 8. Re: Oracle WMS and Oracle RFID
    821728 Newbie
    As I understand, RFID can only be used to receive and ship (out of the box functionality in WMS as I undersand.)
    Can it be used as a replacement for barcode - even if only to read LPN number?
    Say for instance, reading the LPN number for subinventory transactions?