This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2007 11:17 AM by 556542 RSS

What are valid password characters?

556542 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Can anyone list the valid punctuation characters allowed in Oracle Calendar passwords? (Or point out which documentation would tell me.)

I've checked through several online Oracle Calendar documents, but none seem to specify what characters are valid to use in passwords.

The Oracle® Collaboration Suite Security Guide
10g Release 1 (10.1.2)
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B25553_01/collab.1012/b25494/midtier.htm#BGBHHIHC
Says:
Passwords should be at least 8 characters long, and contain a combination of letters and numbers.

Some punctuation seems to be OK, but for the second time in the last year, Oracle Calendar has quit working for me. It is disappearing without starting after the login dialog is completed. It started working again after the first time this happened, immediately after I changed passwords, so I was clued in that something in my password was keeping the application from running. Our installation of Oracle Calendar inherits our enterprise email password so it's quite easy to set a password that doesn't work for Calendar, with no feedback on valid passwords until Calendar just stops working. Passwords without punctuation are not allowed for our enterprise access, and if I guess wrong and pick something that isn't compatible with Calendar, I have to wait a week before I can change the password again.

I'm running local client of Calendar 10.1.2.0.0.1996 on RedHat Linux 2.4.21-47.0.1.EL. I think the server is 09.00.04.02.00.2257 20040308

One thing I just discovered, the web interface to Oracle Calendar is working, but not my desktop client. Last time it didn't work, both the desktop and web logins were failing.

Thanks,
Ken
  • 1. Re: What are valid password characters?
    556542 Newbie
    Some additional information: the Mac OSX client connects, so the problem seems to be specific to the linux client.

-Ken
  • 2. Re: What are valid password characters?
    556542 Newbie
    From what I've read on the web, I'm guessing that the following rules apply

The password must start with a letter (Oracle database passwords are not case sensitive)
    Subsequent characters may be letters, numbers, or the symbols # (pound sign), $ (dollar sign) or _ (underscore).

Also do not use words that are Oracle reserved words. You can supposedly break the rules above if your password is quoted, but then all the interfacing software needs to accomodate that. The weaker passwords (case insensitivity, and limited punctuation) can be compensated by making longer passwords, up to 63 characters in length.

-Ken

Message was edited by:
    user553539