12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2007 4:14 AM by amardeep.sidhu RSS

ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small

Hi,
      I am getting following error..
      ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small
      Any clues??
      Thanx in advance,
      Dushyant
        • 1. re:ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small
          you are trying to put a value which is larger than the variable size or selecting a value from the database
          into a pl/sql variable of smaller size. but we can not help any further without the code fragment where
          error occurs.
          • 2. Re: re:ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small
            user575998
            hi
            friend
            iam having this error. when i tried to check the data how much i had recieved iam not able to see it instead iam getting this error. ads is running normally. only receiving transaction processor is showing in red with error. the following is the error code. please mail me ur answer to my email id katiks_prashanth@rediffmail.com

regards
            PRASHANTH K

RVTTH-445: Subroutine ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small in Package RCV_SeedEvents_PVT Procedure GET_CurrencyStatement -10 returned error

Cause: Subroutine ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or val
            Concurrent program RVCTP returned error

Cause: RVCTP encountered an internal error. Parameters: RVCTP,IMMEDIATE,21509,

Action: Note both this error number and the actions you are trying to perform. Contact your system adm
            RVTBM-008: Subroutine rvtbm_immediate_mngr() returned error

Cause: Subroutine rvtbm_immediate_mngr() returned an internal error.

Action: Note this error number and the actions you are trying to perform. Contact your syste
            RVTBM-120: Subroutine rvtptcontrol() returned error

Cause: Subroutine rvtptcontrol() returned an internal error.

Action: Note this error number and the actions you are trying to perform. Contact your system administrator
            Concurrent Manager encountered an error while attempting to start your immediate concurrent program RVCTP. Routine &ROUTINE received a return code of failure.

Contact your support representative.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Exceptions posted by this request:
            Concurrent Manager encountered an error while attempting to start your immediate concurrent program RVCTP. Routine &ROUTINE received a return code of failure.

• 3. Re: re:ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small
              user575998
              hi
              friend
              iam having this error. when i tried to check the data how much i had recieved iam not able to see it instead iam getting this error. ads is running normally. only receiving transaction processor is showing in red with error. the following is the error code. please mail me ur answer to my email id katiks_prashanth@rediffmail.com

regards
              PRASHANTH K

RVTTH-445: Subroutine ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small in Package RCV_SeedEvents_PVT Procedure GET_CurrencyStatement -10 returned error

Action: Note both this error number and the actions you are trying to perform. Contact your system adm

Action: Note this error number and the actions you are trying to perform. Contact your syste

Action: Note this error number and the actions you are trying to perform. Contact your system administrator

• 4. Re: re:ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small
                Satyaki_De
                I'm tired of saying this to every newbi. Please don't post your personal mail or any contact information here. They may be subjected to attack by spam or other malicious program/programmer.

Regards.

Satyaki De.
                • 5. Re: re:ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small
                  John Spencer
                  I can do no better than quote verbatim what Kamal said way back in 2002.

"you are trying to put a value which is larger than the variable size or selecting a value from the database into a pl/sql variable of smaller size. but we can not help any further without the code fragment where error occurs."

You may also want to consider "Note both this error number and the actions you are trying to perform. Contact your system adm"

John
                  • 7. Re: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too
                    user575998

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM
                    • 8. Re: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too
                      You're posting to a SQL and PL/SQL forum. Don't you think that
                      giving us the relevant PL/SQL code might help? ;)
                      • 9. Re: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too
                        user575998
                        i am not getting any plsql code. please tell me how to solve this prob
                        • 10. Re: re:ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small
                          amardeep.sidhu
                          John...

Just too good...a 5 years old thread wakes up again ;)

Sidhu
                          • 11. Re: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too
                            To OP: If you don't have the subroutine that errs, do what your error message suggests: 'Contact your support representative'.

To John and Sidhu: Yes, you're right. But at least OP has conducted a forum search. ;)