1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 154 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2008 6:42 PM by 601182 Go to original post RSS
      • 60. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
        ok, so now we have Oracle 11g but... where's the promised install for Intel Macs? I'm still using the virtualize apporach to solve my issues with connecting to Oracle but it is really frustrating not being able to work with all the tools in one Operating System... Any date or something you could tell us? If needed i can be a beta tester ;)
        • 61. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
          bebsen
          We are needed an Oracle Instant Client for Mac Intel very hard, and we have been request this for more than a year now. The only answer we have got until now is there will Instant Client 11g for intel Mac. Is there a release date for this new Instant Client? We need it ASAP.

Secondly we also need a new version of the Instant Client for PowerPC Mac. the old antique Instant Client 10.1.0.5 (which currently is the newest version for Mac PowerPC platform) has a number of bugs which has been corrected in 10.2.0.3

It seem like Oracle has desupported the Mac platform. Is this the case?
          • 62. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
            jpiwowar
            Adding my voice to the chorus, without the extra helpings of frustrated ranting. :-)

Oracle DBA here, loving my MacBook, waiting for the day when I don't have to jump through Frankensteinian hoops to work with my databases.

Regards,

John P.
            • 63. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
              fblindhe
              When I discovered Instant Client for OS X, especially the OCI libraries, my world changed. When I discovered it was all PPC only, I figured out how to deal with that. But, my head reels with ideas of what I could do on OS X if I only had an 11g client and OCI libraries for Intel. Please, Oracle, don't continue for force us into "completely breakable Linux" and Windoze world!
              • 64. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                one more vote for intel OS X instant client. We're doing a Ruby on Rails development that was originally targeted at MS SqlServer - that's changed as the government organisation that we're doing the job for has fallen under an IT organisation that is mad keen on Oracle. By hook or by crook we'll work out a solution, we don't really have a choice not to, but there will be one more development shop in the world where people wrinkle their noses when Oracle is mentioned (don't get me started on the 30 character limit...)
                • 65. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                  I just switched from Windows to Mac OS X and I am doing experiments with Ruby on Rails from time to time. Therefore I am also quite annoyed that I cannot access Oracle DB from Ruby on my Mac. Oracle is our primary development platform as we have been Oracle partners for many years.

As there is no answer from Oracle regarding availability of Instant Client on Intel Mac it seems that I will need to set up separate Ruby environment that is compiled for PowerPC - as I understand this is currently the only workaround to get access to Oracle from Ruby on Intel Mac.
                  • 66. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                    Just adding my 2 cents.
                    Just picked up a MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz running Mac OS X 10.4.10 and I must say it's the greatest laptop I've ever owned. It just seems to be a shame that I have to run Oracle in emulated Windows XP. Just a shame...:(

The greatest Laptop should be able to run the greatest Database! Don't you think?

Oracle, Can you hear me now?

Business/Financial/Systems Consultant, Los Angeles, Ca
                    • 67. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                      Add me to sign up for Oracle Instant Client for Intel Mac OS X.

How many more people need to indicate the need for it in order for there to be sufficent demand?

(Didn't Apple make software porting easier by moving their hardware line-up to Intel?)
                      • 68. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                        While we are waiting for Oracle to release Instant Client for Intel Mac I put a description how I managed to setup Oracle connection from Ruby on Intel Mac using PowerPC Oracle Instant Client:

http://blog.rayapps.com/2007/08/27/how-to-setup-ruby-and-oracle-client-on-intel-mac/

Feel free to comment what is missing in this description.
                        • 69. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                          add me to the list too...
                          • 70. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                            Add me to the list as well...
                            -dieter
                            • 71. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                              Please....one more vote for an Intel native Instant Client or 10g XE install for Mac OS X. I am stuck on an important project until this comes to pass. I need to compile PHP with OCI support under OS X and it has to be intel-native to work on my new XServe.
                              • 72. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                                You might be stuck for another year or two my friend. This is a debacle, plain and simple.
                                • 73. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                                  You deleted his post? Are you kidding?

Marketing rule #1: Listen to your customers.

Political rant or not, the inaction of Oracle on this issue is causing a great many people pain. Not all of these are small customers. In any event, Oracle ought be hoping like hell (and pitching in to help) that their small customers get big.

This thread, and the gazillion posts on the interwebs, are testament to the fact that Oracle has FAILED here. It's that simple.

In the 15 conversations I've had with Oracle on this issue, the certification chestnut comes up again and again and again. And as I've pointed out until I'm blue in the face, this thread, and all the others like it, are about instant client and not the RDBMS (who would run that on OS X [or windows] for that matter?).

Thanks for your advocacy, but don't go deleting rants. Instead use them to demonstrate to your higher ups exactly how deep the angst on this issue runs. Perhaps you'll convince them to do a better job next time.
                                  • 74. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                                    Add me to the list as well...
                                    I'd be glad to beta test the intel client.
                                    Please let me know,

Thanks!
                                    1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next