1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next 154 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2008 6:42 PM by 601182 Go to original post RSS
      • 75. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
        I have no hope for a new version of Oracle or an instant client!

BUT i'm sign, too!
        • 76. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
          I work with a team of 5 developers who all use Intel Macs and we would also LOVE to have a native client install for Intel OS X. Thanks for listening!
          • 77. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
            UserX, his rant had nothing to do with this issue; it was of the general "proprietary software sucks" model. It added nothing to this conversation, which as you can see is quite long and quite transparent.
            • 78. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
              Neither does the post just above, as I am amazed to see someone at Oracle allowing themselves to be baited. Lets focus on the issue, what is it going to take to get Oracle to simply support connectivity to their databases from Intel Macs?

This is absurd, as it can be no more than a 15 minute exercise with minimal need for any certification. No one in this thread has asked for 10G or 11G on Intel Macs...

Message was edited by:
              muppetmaster
              • 79. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                jkestley, I appreciate your position (I really do), but have you ever given thought to the conditions that might make the position that "proprietary software sucks" tenable? Moreover, how Oracle itself might be fueling the flames?

Is there a timeline for the resolution of this issue? If so, can you please enlighten us?
                • 80. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                  I really wasn't trying to bait him/her. At the time I was genuinely angry that Oracle would assume the high moral ground having already well and truly surrendered it; that is to say I've had dealings with Oracle through multiple channels on this very issue, and they have far from covered themselves in glory.

This is not so much a technology issue as a communication issue - Oracle need to set a date and stick to it.
                  • 81. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                    as a MacAddict I can only agree with all posts made before here ... I'm tired of using my Windows/Parallels based Oracle client :(
                    • 82. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                      Here's another "me too" for Intel support. However, until then, how about something on the download page that says in BIG BOLD letters that there is no support for Intel Mac's. It would have saved me a couple of hours of frustration trying to get this going.

I'm new to Mac but have been using Oracle on Linux for years. I assumed my problems running the installer were due to my inexperience on Mac.

Such a pity this is so hard. The rest of my experience of Mac has been overwhelmingly positive.
                      • 83. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                        +1

Shouts out to whoever categorized that Parallels/CentOS virtual machine rig as a "workaround." Definitely the best joke on this thread.
                        • 84. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                          Hi,
                          I followed the thread and apart from blowing air with empty angry words, I just want to add official request to ORACLE team. Yes, developers need native client, e.g. libraries build in on Intel Mac platform. I'm working in science environment and we deal with TB and PB scale of data management. The Mac Intel platform is one of the supported ones. Due to lack of native client we cannot port our application to the Mac. Our applications includes C++, python , Ruby which require to have Oracle libraries built on Mac OS X Intel platform.

If someone will provide official web page for placing request to support this platform I would appreciate.

Thanks.
                          • 85. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                            I haven't read this entire thread, but let me add that I have a real need for Oracle client on Intel Mac.

Since I started using my Mac for development, the projects I was working on just happened to be against MySQL.

However, I just joined a team working on various Rails apps that use an Oracle back-end, the developers are all Windows and Linux users. I was very surprised that the only native Oracle client for OS X was PPC-only. I still haven't gotten an ODBC-based workaround functioning correctly.

The Intel Macs have been around now for almost 2 years.
                            • 86. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                              let me also add, a beta client would be wonderful as a start, and I'd love to see XE on Mac as well, but this isn't my highest priority.
                              • 87. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                                Add my vote in too.

If anybody is interested I re-implemented the oci calls in PHP using the PHP Java Bridge <http://php-java-bridge.sourceforge.net/pjb/> and this library I wrote <https://www.poorly.org/oracle.php.txt>. Hurry up please Oracle.
                                • 88. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                                  Absolutely, the ability to talk to Oracle from Python (cxOracle) on an Intel Mac is near the top of our wishlist ... we're Mac on the Desktop with Redhat on the racks.

We've considered dropping Oracle for other, more important reasons ... but are so far staying the course (Oracle was one of the few choices when we started in 1991 ... much better options these days).

However, smaller projects that may grow into larger projects are started on PostgreSQL these days ... where a simple client (and XE) would keep our developers happy we are forced toward Postgres for proof-of-concepts.

We appreciate your request for input ... not sure how much

Oh, one day:
                                  $ sudo port install oracle-instantclient

or even
                                  $ sudo port install oracle-xe
                                  • 89. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
                                    I support a group of 50 users in a very large company that has been spending a ridiculous amount of money trying to locate G5 machines for the sole purpose of being able to connect to Oracle. Architecture Dept has already proposed dumping Oracle for MySQL.
                                    1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next