8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2007 11:39 AM by 386814 RSS

WHAT DO I NEED?

I want to connect to a remote oracle database from OS X 10.4.9
      I install the oracle instant client, but when i use a database client like SQL Developer or Aqua Data Studio y can access the database but for example i can`t see the tables. At work in a windows machine i use TSNAMES.ORA file to connect and i have installed the Oracle Client.
      I download the full standard oracle client from:
      http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/htdocs/macsoft.html
      Oracle Database 10g Client Release 1 (10.1.0.3) for Apple Mac OS X

I do all the stuff twice. Create the oinstall group, oracle user, etc, etc... And when i run the app. In the part where asks for running the oraInstroot.sh, i done that with a root account and throws me a message that can`t write in the inventory... so i can´t install the client.
      So... is this version just for OS X Server?, how can i solve the problem. I want that the apps read the TSNAMES.ORA file. I`m sure if they read it i can connect to the database just the way i do it at work.

Oracle says about the instant client:
           Instant Client allows you to run your applications without installing the standard Oracle client or having an ORACLE_HOME. OCI, OCCI, ODBC, and JDBC applications work without modification, while using significantly less disk space than before. Even SQL*Plus can be used with Instant Client. No recompile, no hassle."

I say: I NEED ORACLE_HOME and i think OCI connection.

HOW?, please.

Thanks for your help.
      Felipe.
        • 1. Re: WHAT DO I NEED?
          Felipe

if you just want to use SQLDeveloper to access a remote Oracle database then you do not need to install instant client or a tnsnames.ora.

I use it every day. When you create a database connection in SQLDeveloper use the "Basic" option and specify the IP address of the database host machine in "Hostname" and the port and the SID. You can lift all this from the tnsnames.ora on you windows box.

If you want to use SQLPlus then you need instant client. This works with no hassle. If you are having to create the oinstall group, oracle user etc, then it sounds like you have downloaded the full Oracle database which will install on PPC but not on Intel Macs. It does not need OSX server but does need a few tweaks.

Make sure you download instant client which is a small download and does not need an oracle user to be created. This will give you a tnsnames.ora file and an sqlplus executable for Mac OS X. You will need to put entries for PATH, TNS_ADMIN and ORACLE_HOME in your .profile and .bashrc files in your default home directory.

eg:

l000032:~ skiv$ pwd
          /Users/skiv
          l000032:~ skiv$ cat .bashrc
          PATH=$PATH:/Volumes/Dot/Applications/InstantClient/instantclient10_1
          DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Volumes/Dot/Applications/InstantClient/instantclient10_1
          TNS_ADMIN=/Volumes/Dot/Applications/InstantClient/instantclient10_1/
          export TNS_ADMIN DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
          CLASSPATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3/Classes/classes.jar
          JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home
          ORACLE_HOME=/Volumes/Dot/Applications/InstantClient/instantclient10_1
          export CLASSPATH JAVA_HOME ORACLE_HOME

and:

l000032:~ skiv$ cat .profile
          PATH=$PATH:/Volumes/Dot/Applications/InstantClient/instantclient10_1
          DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Volumes/Dot/Applications/InstantClient/instantclient10_1
          TNS_ADMIN=/Volumes/Dot/Applications/InstantClient/instantclient10_1/
          CLASSPATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3/Classes/classes.jar
          JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home
          ORACLE_HOME=/Volumes/Dot/Applications/InstantClient/instantclient10_1
          export TNS_ADMIN DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH CLASSPATH JAVA_HOME ORACLE_HOME

I hope this helps.

Paul
          • 2. Re: WHAT DO I NEED?
            Felipe

you need the instant client download from:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html

Paul
            • 3. Re: WHAT DO I NEED?
              I've done that. (ok, i´m from Chile so, sorry my english)

The problem is at work i have installed the Oracle81 client. So i connect with PL/SQL DEveloper (from all around automations or SQL Navigator. And when i log in i have the descriptions for all the tables for example, that the owner is ownfm, but i connect with expfm another account.

In MAC, until today i can't see the description of the tables. I don´t know why. I think is because of the connection. I've tried Oracle SQLDeveloper, but it says that i cant connect to an oracle 8 database. I've tried other clients, like SQL Aqua Studio and the same thing.

So there i've tried to install oracle client for mac, but fails in the part where i've told you. Then i succesfully install instant client, and i was trying to use ruby-oci driver, but the results are the same, except that now on Oracle SQLDeveloper i can see when i select TNS, the list of my tnsnames.ora.

I not quite sure that you undersand my problem. but thanks for your help. And if you have something more to say i will be good, and tryed.

Another thing, do you know another sql client database for oracle and mac, maybe i could try another one, but i still think is the connection, that or is too thin, or something is going wrong that i can't have the same environment that i have at work. This is being very frustrating.

Thanks a lot for your help.
              Felipe Serra
              • 4. Re: WHAT DO I NEED?
                I was thinking the oracle client install fails (the big client), because i'm running OS X in spanish...... What do you think?

Felipe.
                • 5. Re: WHAT DO I NEED?
                  Felipe

- your English is better than my Spanish, so no need to apologise. Sorry if I have not understood the problem.

You could try using JDeveloper. I have used that to talk to an oracle 8 Database (that was some time ago now!)

Are you running on a PPC or an Intel Mac? I have installed full database 10g on PPC and Instant client on Intel Mac. I think the full client does not install - other people on this forum have had problems with it.

Paul
                  • 6. Re: WHAT DO I NEED?
                    jpiwowar
                    Felipe,

Are you using a PPC or Intel Mac? The oracle client installer will not work on Intel Macs.

Regards,

John P.
                    • 7. Re: WHAT DO I NEED?
                      Mac Mini 1.5 G4
                      1 GB RAM

OSX 10.4.9 and.... in spanish.
                      • 8. Re: WHAT DO I NEED?
                        You should be fine with JDeveloeper.