1 2 3 4 Previous Next 57 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2007 9:41 AM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
        Yudi Lukman
        If I send you those files, what we can see are only activity of existing oracle installation and not the failed one because there's nothing in the oraInventory folder of 2nd installation
        • 16. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          Yudi,

Please check the location of the global inventory from "/vat/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc".

Each time you use RapidWiz, it has to update the global inventory with the location of the new created Oracle Homes. So, if you have a problem with this step, the log files will be located under:

<Global OraInventory Path>/logs/OracleHomeCloner_*.log

<Global OraInventory Path>/logs/apps*.log

Use "ls -ltr", and check the last updated log file(s). Search for the error(s), it should be there.
          • 17. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
            Yudi Lukman
            hsawwan, I know what you and Fadi asked but like I wrote before, I'm trying to install another E-Biz in a server that already had E-Biz installation and differentiate the oraInventory. I added a line and commented the previouse line in oraInst.loc to do that so my oraInst.loc is like this :

# oraInventory for PROD
            # inventory_loc=/home/user1/oraInventory

# oraInventory for PROD2
            inventory_loc=/home/user2/oraInventory

There isn't anything under /var/opt and there're no OracleHomeCloner_*.log and apps*.log under /home/user2/oraInventory because like I wrote before it cannot register Oracle Home in the inventory. I already used user2 as oracle user and oraInventory permission is already 777 but I still got the same error that Oracle Home cannot be register in the inventory.

If I didn't change the location of oraInventory and use oraInventory created for the 1st installation then I can install 2nd E-Biz but that's not what I want to do.
            • 18. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
              Fadi Hasweh
              ok why dont you try the following
              just hash it out and dont entery a new location for the intventeroy and then it will create a new one for you for the user2.

give a try and let us know
              fadi
              • 19. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
                mdtaylor
                Yudi,

What is your exact OS and version?

Do you have an requirement for separate inventories? I have 11.5.9, two 11.5.10 instances, two R12 instances, grid control and 10.1.2.0.2 Discoverer middle tier sharing the same central inventory (/etc/oraInventory) with no issues.
                • 20. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
                  Yudi Lukman
                  Hi,

That's what I do before, didn't enter new location for oraInventory and I can smoothly install the 2nd E-Biz but don't know why the error occured when I tried to install the 3rd.
                  • 21. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
                    mdtaylor
                    So just chmod -R 777 /etc/oraInventory, download the latest OUI patch and unzip -o p5035661_11i_LINUX.zip in the 9.2 and iAS Oracle Homes, and as Oracle, source your database environment cd to $ORACLE_HOME/appsoui/setup and run perl OUIsetup.pl. Do the same as applmgr in the $IAS_ORACLE_HOME/appsoui/setup and you will have your 3rd environment global central inventory.
                    • 22. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
                      Yudi Lukman
                      Hi Michael,

I'm using Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 update 3.

Currently I don't have any specific requirement to create separate inventories other than curiosity and a little bit of security :P I'm trying to separate the inventory because a friend told me it could caused problems if all the oraInventory for multiple E-Biz were using same central inventory, such as when we want to upgrade the database from 9i to 10g.

Thank you Michael, just right when I about to ask, you show up. Don't you have any problem at all using same central inventory?

Has anyone created multiple oraInventory in your machine and why do you do that or it's better that we use same central Inventory for multiple E-Biz?

CMIIW, suppose if we install multiple E-Biz, let's say E-Biz A, B and C, and use same central Inventory then all of our installation would recorded there, right? Now suppose if we want to uninstall E-Biz A, we can't just delete the oraInventory because it's being used by E-Biz B & C and re-installation of E-Biz A can cause an error because the uninstallation was not cleaned, right?

Anyway, I managed to install another E-Biz and use different location for oraInventory (thanks to a friend)by these way:

1. Rename previous oraInst.loc eg. to oraInst001.001

2. Enter Start Here disk and start rapidwiz, it asked to run oraInstRoot.sh

3. Change to root, edit oraInstRoot.sh and change all /etc/oraInventory to a location I wanted, e.g. : /home/user/oraInventory

4. Execute oraInstRoot.sh. It would created oraInst.loc and oratab in /etc but inside oraInst.loc the line where it used to be :

inventory_loc=/etc/oraInventory

would be :

inventory_loc=/home/user/oraInventory

5. Restart the rapidwiz and all the installation worked

Is the oraInst.loc still used when we run E-Biz or it needed only when we do maintenance or upgrade? I'm thinking that if I do all that 5 steps when created E-Biz A & B then I will get 2 oraInst.loc (namely oraInst001.001 for E-Biz A and oraInst.loc for E-Biz B). If oraInst.loc still needed when we run E-Biz then I'll get disasters if I run E-Biz A & B concurrently because the existing oraInst.loc is for E-Biz B only but if it only needed when do maintenance or upgrade then I can switch those 2 files.

I don't understand how come in Unix my friend can use single oraInventory and have different oraInventory for multiple E-Biz by doing this :

# oraInventory for E-Biz 1
                      # inventory_loc=/home/user1/oraInventory

# oraInventory for E-Biz 2
                      # inventory_loc=/home/user2/oraInventory

# oraInventory for E-Biz 2
                      inventory_loc=/home/user3/oraInventory

while when I did that in Linux I didn't success.

Thanks.
                      • 23. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
                        Yudi Lukman
                        Unfortunately, I already scratch my installation before I read that information in metalink :P Anyway, I'll try it as soon as I got the machine for myself again :P Thanks.
                        • 24. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
                          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                          CMIIW, suppose if we install multiple E-Biz, let's
                          say E-Biz A, B and C, and use same central Inventory
                          then all of our installation would recorded there,
                          right? Now suppose if we want to uninstall E-Biz A,
                          we can't just delete the oraInventory because it's
                          being used by E-Biz B & C and re-installation of
                          E-Biz A can cause an error because the uninstallation
                          was not cleaned, right?
                          It should not be an issue. With the help of OUI you can uninstall all Oracle Homes which belong to any environment and remove the rest of the files manually without interfering other environments.
                          • 25. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
                            mdtaylor
                            I have done many EBS database upgrades, 11.5.9 to 11.5.10 or 11.5.10 to R12 upgrades using a central inventory and never had an issue, except accidentally whacking the inventory once when I thought I was removing all Oracle Products. Apparently, I hadn't thought about it well enough as I had just cloned an external tier to that machine. Hussein and Fadi helped me recreate the inventory using the procedure I described earlier.
                            • 26. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
                              Yudi Lukman
                              How do I use OUI in E-Biz?

thanks for your input, taylor.
                              • 27. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
                                mdtaylor
                                The applmgr iAS OUI is in $IAS_ORACLE_HOME/appsoui/oui/install/

The database OUI if you have upgraded to 10g is in $ORACLE_HOME/oui/bin. For 9.2 Oracle Home, it looks like it is still in $ORACLE_HOME/appsoui/oui/install/.
                                • 28. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
                                  Yudi Lukman
                                  sorry, but how do I use it? I had use OUI in my laptop but it's for oracle workflow, forms & report builder. thanks.
                                  • 29. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
                                    mdtaylor
                                    For the most part, just see if you have the inventory components. It has to be there in order to apply database or iAS patches.