This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 57 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2007 7:41 AM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Go to original post RSS
  • 45. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    Check Inventory.xml which is located under central inventory (oraInventory/ContentsXML/) if it still contains the home name which you have just uninstalled. If so, please do the following:

- Take a backup of the Central inventory (oraInventory)
    - Edit inventory.xml file by remove the line which contains the Oracle home that still appears after uninstalling
    - Save inventory.xml file
    - Run OUI and check if still shows the home or not
  • 46. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    Yudi Lukman Newbie
    I managed to execute OUI 10g for the db tier by execute runinstaller under /proddb/9.2.0./oui/bin after several attempts. At first it won't worked then I looked at the log and I got infomation that the permission is not enough so I use chmod and give 777 to that directory then OUI can run well but there were still Oracle Installer 2 and patch interim 491668 there. Should I remove it too?

I looked at the directory where I installed Oracle Application and there were still files in that directory. I thought OUI had removed it or should I removed it manually?

There's still problem with the apps tier though. I had run OUI but the only OUI there is OUI 2.2.0.19.0. I still tried to remove the installation I wanted then I checked but there's still /prodora/8.0.6 there. Under it are links to some directory but when I clicked each of it OUI told me that location not available (I already chmod it too). When I search that directory there are still files inside it. I already checked Inventory.xml which is located under central inventory (oraInventory/ContentsXML/) and it still contains the home name which I'd uninstalled. Was the uninstallation process not success? Should I backup the central inventory then edit inventory.xml then delete all the files under the home I'd uninstalled? Thanks.
  • 47. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    I could not find any relevant document/note about patch 491668
    I thought OUI had removed it or should I removed it manually?
    OUI is supposed to remove everything. However, you can remove it manually.

You can also remove the links manually.
    Was the uninstallation process not success?
    Not necessarily. Did you try the steps mentioned in my previous post?

I still suggest you have a look at Note: 295185.1 - How to Recreate the Global oraInventory, you can remove all files which belong to B, take a backup of the central inventory, rename it, and follow the steps outlined in the note.

https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=295185.1
  • 48. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    Yudi Lukman Newbie
    Maybe I'm not correctly remembered the patch number, anyway I'd removed it before you reply so I can't see what's the number.

I remembered about your suggestion to look at Note: 295185.1 and I'd read it. I just thought to experience a little more with OUI then I'll try to recreate global oraIventory.

Where did OUI 10g came from in db tier and should it appear in apps tier?

I tried to look at installActions log and each of it told that it can't synchronize with iAS of another installation because it didn't have enough permission. For example, iAS_ORACLE_HOME B can't read iAS_ORACLE_HOME A but registering OUI component is successfull. Do I need to change the permission iAS_ORACLE_HOME of A before I clone it to B or just let it be? Would there be any problem?
  • 49. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    Where did OUI 10g came from in db tier and should it appear in apps tier?
    It comes from the installer of Oracle 10g software. If you run "runInstaller" from the apps tier, it would see $RDBMS_ORACLE_HOME (Assuming both tiers on the same box).
    Do I need to change the permission iAS_ORACLE_HOME of A before I clone it to B
    or just let it be? Would there be any problem?
    You do not have to change any permission on A. Just make sure you change the ownership of the files on B (after the copy and before running the post clone) and it is owned by the applmgr user of B
  • 50. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    Yudi Lukman Newbie
    What's in Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.10.2 contains 10g software?

Everytime I cloned I change the ownership but I'm just curious whether it will caused any trouble for not able to read another installation.
  • 51. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.10.2 contains Oracle 9i software and not 10g by default. But since you have Oracle 10g installer, then it looks like your instance has been upgraded from 9i to 10g.

If you change the ownership properly, then there should not be any issue.
  • 52. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    Yudi Lukman Newbie
    Hello, it's me again,

I got some question again :P

Suppose that I have an e-biz installation, execute the pre-clone process, copy all the files from apps tier and db tier to another location. After that I start using the first e-biz installation again then suppose something bad happen, can I just delete all the files after the copy process and move all the files that I previously copied to get the installation back? Thanks.
  • 53. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    Welcome back :)
    can I just delete all the files after the copy process and move all the files that I
    previously copied to get the installation back?
    Yes, as long as you have not run post clone on the copied files and changed any reference which points to the source machine.
  • 54. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    Yudi Lukman Newbie
    hi all, here I am reporting my progress :P

In my machine I had installed E-Biz with vision database and test clones several times. Let say my first installation was A and I had cloned it 3 times to B, C and D all using the default global inventory in /etc/oraInventory then I deleted B & C.

I'd just tried to clean the oraInventory from unused/deleted clones by recreate the global oraInventory based on Doc. ID: 295185.1. Though in the doc wrote that the procedure only work if the Local Inventory for each ORACLE_HOME is present and is not corrupted I still tried all the steps.

The last step was using OUI in $ORACLE_HOME/appsoui/oui/install to see all the installed products and doing that give me information about files in B & C. I tried to delete it but the system told that it was created using OUI 10g and not OUI 2.2 (don't know from where that OUI 10g came from). When I tried to use OUI 10g in $ORACLE_HOME/oui/bin it gave me the right information that only A & D.

Now how can I clear B & C? Thanks.
  • 55. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    Just follow the steps in the same note mentioned above:

- Delete all files which belong to instance B and C
    - Rename the Global oraInventory with a different name
    - Recreate the Global oraInventory on ALL ORACLE_HOMEs (Which belong to A and D)
  • 56. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    Yudi Lukman Newbie
    thanks for the correction hussein,

looks like I missed to rename the corrupted global inventory with a different name and after doing that all entries in OUI are right.

I need to ask some more questions:
    1. In multi-node environment, we MUST rename oraInventory both in apps tier and db tier, right?

2. Do we need to delete all the lines refer deleted installation manually or OUI will do it?

3. wouldn't it be more easier for us to delete e-biz installaion if we change the location of oraInventory (by change the location in oraInst.loc) everytime we want to install another or clone an existing e-biz? I assumed that way we can just delete the installation we didn't need without have to recreate Global Inventory.

thanks
  • 57. Re: 11.5.10.2 install problems
    1. In multi-node environment, we MUST rename
    oraInventory both in apps tier and db tier, right?
    Correct. It also depends on what ORACLE_HOMEs you have on each tier.
    2. Do we need to delete all the lines refer deleted
    installation manually or OUI will do it?
    OUI will take care of that.
    3. wouldn't it be more easier for us to delete e-biz
    installaion if we change the location of oraInventory
    (by change the location in oraInst.loc) everytime we
    want to install another or clone an existing e-biz?
    Delete the Apps installation for the purpose of changing the location of oraInventory? I do not get this.
    I assumed that way we can just delete the installation
    we didn't need without have to recreate Global Inventory.
    Yes you can, but your oraInventory will still have some pointers to the deleted instance (unless you use OUI to uninstall it).
1 2 3 4 Previous Next