4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2013 2:18 AM by Manu. RSS

Question about LOVs and "Record Group Fetch Size" property

Hi:

For some reason, in our application, a couple of users have been sporadically experiencing the following issue with and LOV:

They invoke the LOV. Note: Query associated with the LOV retrieves 750 rows.
      They used the scrollbar to move down the list. At some point during the scroll, their screen turns white and stays white for several minutes.

A couple of days ago I had a chat with one of my friends from a previous job and he told me that when they converted to forms on the web, they observed this behavior and that he was pretty certain that this was due to a property associated with the LOV. I looked at all the properties associated with the LOV object and none strikes me as being related. I did find the "Record Group Fetch Size Property" in the record group and it seems to be related. Does anyone know if indeed this property has a connection to our behavior?

My friend also told me that they basically had to create an LOV look alike solution using a form block. I believe I saw a solution doing this a while ago. Does anyone know where I may find it?

Thanks,

Thomas
        • 1. Re: Question about LOVs and "Record Group Fetch Size" property
          The records are composed of two columns, a code (5 characters) and a description (average size 25 characters). The average size of the record is then approx. 30 characters. From the documentation available in Forms:
              Also, the way in which the actual value is computed when a value of 0 is 
              specified has changed. The actual value in this case is now
              0.5 M / total_record_size (i.e. sum_of_column_sizes, not max_column_size),
              but no more than 100 and no less than 20.  The coefficients (0.5 M, 100, and
              20) can be changed by setting these environment variables: 
              FORMS_COMPUTED_RGFS_DIVIDEND, FORMS_MAX_COMPUTED_RGFS,
              and FORMS_MIN_COMPUTED_RGFS.
          I believe that we are running with the default. Is this OK for this data set? Do we need to set the environmental variables listed above?

Thanks,

Thomas
          • 2. Re: Question about LOVs and "Record Group Fetch Size" property
            Is my question invalid? N/A?

Thanks,

Thomas
            • 3. Re: Question about LOVs and "Record Group Fetch Size" property
              user3788612

How to go oe where to go to change the parameters of

FORMS_COMPUTED_RGFS_DIVIDEND, FORMS_MAX_COMPUTED_RGFS,

and FORMS_MIN_COMPUTED_RGFS. Pls reply like a layman can do it.

• 4. Re: Question about LOVs and "Record Group Fetch Size" property
                Manu.

Dear Thomas,

The Record Group Fetch Size Property Specifies The Size Of The Record Group To Be Fetched. A Larger Fetch Size Reduces The Number Of Fetches Required To Obtain The Record Group. For Example, A Record Group Of 5000 Records Will Require 500 Trips To Be Fetched If Record Group Fetch Size Is Set To 10 But 5 Trips If Record Group Fetch Size Is Set To 1000. So The Delay May Be Due To The Extra Fetches.

Hope This Helps.

Regards,

Manu.