1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2010 1:16 AM by 650665

Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows

sbkenned-Oracle
      For those of you that have wanted to try out Advanced Printing, there is now a standalone version of BI Publisher available. We have updated our installation and configuration instructions to point to the new download and the installation is much more simple.
      <p/>
      The Linux version is not working for us at this time so we still recommend downloading the full zip for Linux. Once that is working, we will again update the instructions.
      <p/>
      You can find the download site and instructions in our PDF Printing configuration document.
      <p/>
      Please note that the download is governed by the OTN Developer License (... limited license to use the programs only for the purpose of developing a single prototype of your application, and not for any other purpose ...).
      <p/>
      Hope it helps!
      <p/>
      -- Sharon
      <p/>
      edited to remove the incorrect reference from the BI Publisher download site.
      <p/>
      Message was edited by:
      sbkenned
        • 1. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
          Dimitri Gielis
          This is great news Sharon!

Thanks,
          Dimitri
          • 2. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
            unless you are a licensed Oracle Application Server customer. Oracle Application Server customers can use this software according to the terms and conditions of their Oracle Application Server license.

So this means OAS licensees can use the standalone BI Publisher without any additional licensing, unlike the full-blown BI Publisher?

Or am I still getting Apples and Oranges mixed up?

Thanks,

Bill Ferguson
            • 3. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
              Is there an answer here in regards to licensing? Did you get any response Bill??
              • 4. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
                marife
                Another licensed OAS customer is interested, too? Any answer from Oracle?

Mike
                • 5. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
                  Damn straight. I am trying to move a ton of Crystal Reports to another environment, using APEX as front end and limited right now to Oracle Reports. If BI Publisher is included in the OAS licensing, then that is good news.

Just wish we could get an answer, not some vague reference to a licensing agreement.

Thank you,

Tony Miller
                  UTMB/EHN
                  Galveston, TX
                  • 6. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
                    sbkenned-Oracle
                    Sorry to not notice your questions sooner. I simply copied the language from the license you accept (I think many people accept them and don't read them so I wanted to make it clear). This would be the perfect question to pose on the BI Forum - I just don't know the answer. I will email someone in the BI group to see if they can jump in here -

-- Sharon
                    • 7. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
                      All -- apologies for the confusing language.

BI Publisher is not part of the Oracle Application Server license. BI Publisher is licensed as stand alone product and as a separately licensed option to Application Server Enterprise Edition.

Please go to:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/publishing/index.html

to download BI Publisher under the standard OTN Developer License Agreement.

I will work with the maintainer of the other page to get the confusing language corrected or removed.

Thanks,
                      Mike
                      • 8. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
                        So even though it has been broken off as a separate product from App Server, we still have to pay a HIGH price to use the product? I fail to see the benefit cost wise in promoting the usage of BI Publisher with APEX. You promote it all to heck how APEX will do PDF support for reports, but play down the COST factor in doing such...

Would like to see Oracle get a grip on this and see that MAYBE they could offer a limited version of BI Publisher that will do what we need in APEX, or someone come out with a product that will offer the ADVANCED support options with APEX, but not at the $$ we have now for BI Publisher.

Tony Miller
                        UTMB/EHN
                        Galveston, TX
                        • 9. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
                          Did I offend someone in this thread? I was just looking for answers, in regards to APEX and BI Publisher ...
                          • 10. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
                            Dimitri Gielis
                            Hi Tony,

You didn't offend me, no... But what's your question?
                            I think you need to see the bigger picture: BI Publisher is not only made for APEX, but for all Oracle products. It's /will become the new reporting tool.
                            JDeveloper (java), Fusion Apps, APEX, ... they can all use BI Publisher.

If somebody only work with Oracle XE and APEX, I don't think that customer will buy BI Pub. but then there're alternatives (Cocoon, other pdf tools)

Dimitri
                            • 11. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
                              Marc Sewtz-Oracle
                              Tony,

I don't think either, that you offended anyone. But was there a question in your last post? Sure, I think we all agree it would be nice to have a free or less expensive option for PDF printing in APEX that came with the same advanced features as the BI Publisher option. But I think that with opening up this architecture to use Apache FOP, Cocoon etc., we did at least make free or inexpensive are alternatives possible.

Regards,
                              Marc
                              • 12. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
                                There was no real question there, just more of a posting that shows there still is a ways to go to use APEX for generating reports that people will be able to print or save as PDF's.

When APEX was announced to have PDF support, it was a great idea, I had hoped this would allow people to bypass having to use an external report writer (since the HTML generated by APEX applications is NOT really meant for printer output).

Don't get me wrong, I love the product. Just have a hard time selling as a development product to groups, because they want to PRINT reports, like in other development products. I know I can use the limited (sorry, standard) report support with the Open Source tools (Cocoon and Others).

Maybe, Oracle at some point will try and create a scaled down version of BI Publisher, so that the cost is not so hi.. Right now to get a dual server licensed for BI Publisher, we were looking at $15,000 + a year support fee of $5,000....

Did they lower the cost when they broke it away from App Server??

Just wondering,

Tony Miller
                                UTMB/EHN
                                • 13. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
                                  Tony,

I "think" the easiest way to get PDF output at a cheap price is going to be PL/PDF (http://plpdf.com). It looks like it costs $500, and I don't see any other software requirements, since it works with mod_plsql.

The coccon and other "stuff" is free, but I don't know how difficult it is to get setup and running. I'm also not sure how much leeway you get in designing your output.

Since PL/PDF is generated by code you write with PL/SQL packages, I imagine that you can get some pretty customized output that would exactly fit your needs.

When I first heard Apex 3.0 would allow PDF output, I was hoping that there was some kind of unannounced deal where Oracle had bought the company and was going to include the PL/PDF packages as some of their "standard" packages, like DBMS_OUTPUT.

At least since they haven't done it yet, there may still be some hope that maybe someday they will, but then I don't see where that would really benefit the BI Publisher market, though I no idea how big that market is. It seems like quite a few Oracle shops aren't budgeted enough to get into that "niche", it's usually hard enough paying for the products already licensed.

Bill Ferguson
                                  • 14. Re: Standalone BI Publisher now available for Windows
                                    Bill,
                                    My biggest gripe here is that APEX is being promoted to develop PDF style files, but with an *... To do nice looking layouts and such you need BI Publisher, so go an get a license for it... Okay, $12,000 later and $3,000 a year support, APEX is starting to be like other development platforms.

I will look at the alternative pdf path, but do not know if it will fly. Since you would build a report in APEX then need to re-do the code in the PDF building product, is this correct?
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next