7 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2007 8:57 AM by Dimitri Gielis

Creating an index of all pages in the application?

Is there anyway I can create a page in my app that displays a dynamic index (list) of all pages in the application? Sort of like a table of contents that automatically updates if I create a new page?

Thanks!

BoilerUP
        • 1. Re: Creating an index of all pages in the application?
          Hello,

Sure can

select LAST_UPDATED_ON, PAGE_ID , PAGE_NAME from APEX_APPLICATION_PAGES where APPLICATION_ID = :APP_ID

http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=11933:104

Carl
          • 2. Re: Creating an index of all pages in the application?
            Carl,

Thank you very much for helping. I just have one more question. Is there anyway I can add a field ('behind the scenes', so to speak) for every page? I would like to create a brief description of every page and store it with the other APEX attributes such as page number, page name, etc.

The purpose of this page index is I want my admins to be able to see all of the pages and their description and make a decision about who can see what pages.

Thanks!

BoilerUP
            • 3. Re: Creating an index of all pages in the application?
              Hello,

Sure can

LAST_UPDATED_ON, PAGE_ID , PAGE_NAME ,PAGE_COMMENT from APEX_APPLICATION_PAGES where APPLICATION_ID = :APP_ID

It's not even behind the scenes it uses the Page Comment Attribute so each developer can update the page description as the page develops.

http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=11933:104

Just sort on last updated.

Carl
              • 4. Re: Creating an index of all pages in the application?
                Carl,

For some reason when I add page_comment to the query, it gives an error, saying PAGE_COMMENT is an invalid identifier. Obviously this is the correct attribute name since it is used in the example you posted. Why would it be giving me this error?

Also, where would I input the comments about each page?

Thanks!

BoilerUP
                • 5. Re: Creating an index of all pages in the application?
                  sbkenned-Oracle
                  BoilerUp,

The page comment is the last region on the page definition page. Just select a page, click the icon to edit and then click the Comments 'button' on the far right and it will focus you on that region.

As to why it is not working, what version of APEX are you using? There have been some changes to the views from their debut in 2.2 to 3.0. You should perfect your query using SQL Commands in the SQL Workshop and then can paste it into a report region. If you are using 3.0, you can also use the APEX Views utility under the Utilities tab.

-- Sharon
                  • 6. Re: Creating an index of all pages in the application?
                    Sharon,

Ok, now I see the comments section on the page definition.Thanks!

I am running v2.2.1.00.04 of APEX. I assume the older version is the reason I cannot see APEX Views and why the column name PAGE_COMMENT will not work. I tried the query in SQL Commands and got the same 'invalid identifier' error.

BoilerUP
                    • 7. Re: Creating an index of all pages in the application?
                      Dimitri Gielis
                      This thread was spotted to be included in the weekly APEX forum wrap-up.
                      (in the Tips part)

It shows again that the APEX dictionary is very powerful but not that known at the moment.

Thanks,
                      Dimitri
                      -- APEX Forum wrap-up --
                      @ http://dgielis.blogspot.com/search/label/apex%20forum