12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2007 12:46 PM by 608953 RSS

ORACLE XE installation on XP

Hi folks,

I am trying to do a simple installation of Oracle XE on my latest XP.

I get the error "Error reading setup initialization file". I downloaded MSI installer but that told me I had the lastest installer already installed and it wasn't need.

Can anyone tell me I am doing wrong?

I find it hard to believe that this common configuration could have a problem.

Thank you
        • 1. Re: ORACLE XE installation on XP
          Madrid
          Installing XE is straight forward, almost a next, next install.
          The file you should have downloaded is the OracleXEUniv.exe file (or the other exe file available, the difference is the character set), just click on this exe file and the installer starts.

Regards.
          • 2. Re: ORACLE XE installation on XP
            Thank you sir!

I did download both OracleXE.exe and OracleXEUniv.exe and both gave me the same message.

It is the blue square box with the two sails on it that I click on before experiencing the error.

It seems too common a configutation for an error to occur. My colleague also gets the same error on his machine, which is a new Dell XP. Same for our laptops that are 6-12 month old Dells.

I appreciate your comment!
            • 3. Re: ORACLE XE installation on XP
              Madrid
              Did you download the exe file from your office? As the same error appears for your colleague, you both may be facing the same situation at your download environment.

Make sure you download the file without the file being altered.

This can be done in one of three ways.
              One way is to have the administrator of the proxy server change the settings of the program that is doing content filtering on the proxy server. The program that is doing content filtering is altering the file by mistake.
              The second way is to bypass the proxy server and then download the file. Usually there is a network administrator that has the ability to do this.
              The third way is to have someone else download the file from outside your network.
              • 4. Re: ORACLE XE installation on XP
                Help Please -- In the XE.bat (and the scripts that it calls) , there should be a seed database (Express.dbf). The initial installer script did not install it. My installation can proceed no further. I am not sure where to go from here .

=======
                ERROR at line 1:
                ORA-19624: operation failed, retry possible
                ORA-19870: error reading backup piece
                C:\ORACLEXE\APP\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2.0\SERVER\CONFIG\SEEDDB\EXPRESS.DFB
                ORA-19505: failed to identify file
                "C:\ORACLEXE\APP\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2.0\SERVER\CONFIG\SEEDDB\EXPRESS.DFB"
                ORA-27041: unable to open file
                OSD-04002: unable to open file
                O/S-Error: (OS 3) The system cannot find the path specified.
                ORA-06512: at "SYS.X$DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE", line 5149
                ORA-06512: at line 16
                ===========
                • 5. Re: ORACLE XE installation on XP
                  Madrid
                  It looks like your install media is corrupt. Most probably you'll have to redownload it.

~ Madrid
                  • 6. Re: ORACLE XE installation on XP
                    Thanks -- I thought of that as well, but following your advice, I just re-downloaded both the Western and Universal versions from OTN. I re-installed one version and then the other. I experienced the same problem with both version installations. That directory with the seed database just does not get created. --still stumped on this one.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                    • 7. Re: ORACLE XE installation on XP
                      Madrid
                      I see, you are trying to manually execute the XE.bat file, but it is no necessary, once the initial XE database has been created, which is performed automatically at install time, it is no necessary to run XE manually. In fact the SEED directory no longer exists after install. Didn't your database was created at install time? What's the reason why you are trying to manually create your database?

~ Madrid
                      • 8. Re: ORACLE XE installation on XP
                        The installer apparently completes its process sucessfully (according to the status message, and when it tries to initialize the DB web page, it fails because but there is no DB created. All the database directories that should have files are blank (there are no control files, and no *.ora file, etc). The odd thing is the I can start & stop the Oracle XE service, and the listener appears to be operational. I can do a TNSping on XE.

I then was backtracking to locate where the problem may have started, I see in the logs that the installer was unable to locate the seed DB, and that seems to be the start of the problems. Then based on that I executed the XE.bat file manually
                        to see what was actually ocurring.

--Really confused now.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                        • 9. Re: ORACLE XE installation on XP
                          Madrid
                          Do you have OS privileges to open a session as sysdba? Once started the service open an OS prompt and issue:
                          set oracle_sid=XE
                          sqlplus / as sysdba

report the output. If an error is displayed it means you should perform the installation with administrative privileges.

On the other hand, if you have another windows host, try to install on it, just to discard any possibility of install media corruption.

~ Madrid.
                          • 10. Re: ORACLE XE installation on XP
                            I get Oracle error: ORA-12638: Credential Retrieval failed.

Also, there is nothing in the standard database directories.

-T-
                            • 11. Re: ORACLE XE installation on XP
                              Madrid
                              This error regularly appears when working with a domain authenticated account, so it is not possible to issue the connect / as sysdba, but the connect sys/sysPassword as sysdba. As long as the oracle installer requires the no password option, then it fails to create the database, even if you do it manually.

When connecting to your windows environment, do it by means of the local administrator account, and ensure this user belongs to the ORA_DBA privileged group.

~ Madrid.
                              • 12. Re: ORACLE XE installation on XP
                                Please help

I am trying to do a simple installation of Oracle XE on my latest XP.

I get the error "Error reading setup initialization file" on my toshibha laptop where as it works well in my office laptop hp.Can you provide me the solution for it.

Bala