This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2007 4:57 AM by 580899 RSS

Is it possible to access two application with one login?

580899 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have two application. I have an application I created and I have the bug tracker application. I have to log into both application. I want to log into my application and access bug tracker through a link (without logging in). Can this be done in APEX?

Note: If someone is using bug tracker, they will have to log into bug tracker. If someone is using my application, they will log into my application and can access the bug tracker application without logging in.

Message was edited by:
user577896
  • 1. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    60437 Employee ACE
    1. Please tell us your first name.

2. Applications in the same workspace that use the same authentication scheme and cookie name can work this way. Make both apps use Application Express authentication or LDAP authentication or make them both use the same custom authentication function to check username/passwords against your own tables -- any method you like, it doesn't matter -- then specify a common cookie name in the authentication schemes of each application and then you'll be able to do what you described, as far as you described it.

3. You did not specify what should happen if a user is logged into the bug tracker app and wants to access your app, from a link or otherwise. Will they have to login to your app at that point?

4. You should search this forum and read the User's Guide and study everything you can find about authentication - there's a bunch of resources. Then experiment.

Scott
  • 2. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    330976 Newbie
    A few months ago an article appeared in Oracle Magazine about a Menu Framework: you can build a third application (or use the example from this article) to have one application to provide access to all others (even based on roles and access-rights).
    Users only have to log in in the framework-application

Hope this helps.

Leo.
  • 3. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    580899 Newbie
    I changed the authentication scheme to application express for both apps. I set the cookie name in both app. Now, I am not able to log into either app. I am going to start over from scratch. I, more than likely, will have to be walked through getting this to work.

I created 2 apps (Red and Blue). Both apps have a report as page 1 and a login page. Blue has a link to Red. Blue and Red has the apex authentication. When I click on the Blue's link - i am directed to Red login in page.

What should i do to log into RED without entering the user/pass?
  • 4. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    60437 Employee ACE
    Adrian,

Now, I am not able to log into either app.

When I click on the Blue's link...

How do you get to see Blue's link if you cannot login to either app? Is the link on a public page?

In links, be sure to include &SESSION. (with trailing period).

Scott
  • 5. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    580899 Newbie
    in the blue app, I created a navigation bar entry. Under target, I entered the following URL target:

http://ibatl-gt75961.atl.intecbilling.com:7777/pls/htmldb/f?p=107:1:&SESSION.:::::

When I click on the link from (http://ibatl-gt75961.atl.intecbilling.com:7777/pls/htmldb/f?p=104:1:1356214370869026:::::), I am redirected to the red app login page
  • 6. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    60437 Employee ACE
    The link in the navigation bar is in app 104, page 1, correct? Is 104 page 1 a public page or did you login?

Scott
  • 7. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    580899 Newbie
    I logged into app 104 (blue) from page 101. After I logged in, I was directed to page 1. From app 104's page 1, i click on the link.

I was expecting app 107's pg 1 (red), but got app 107's pg 101 (red).
  • 8. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    60437 Employee ACE
    Adan,

Earlier you said "Now, I am not able to log into either app.", but then you said "When I click on the Blue's link...", so I asked you "How do you get to see Blue's link if you cannot login to either app? Is the link on a public page?", but you did not address that. So let's say I don't have an accurate picture of what you've done.

Make sure the apps both use identical authentication schemes, that these schemes are "current" for each app, that the cookie properties, e.g., name, is the same for both apps, and that the apps belong to the same workspace. If after verifying all this, you still have a problem, I'll need you to install the apps on apex.oracle.com so I can see them. I'm sure it's something very simple.

Scott
  • 9. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    580899 Newbie
    Sorry for the confusion. In the beginning i was using bug tracker and another application I created. I am not using those two application any more. I created two brand new applications I refer to as blue and red (color of their themes). The real names are Set App Cookies (BLUE) and Get App Cookies (RED).

I created both apps with no authentication scheme. I created the link in BLUE. I tested the link and it worked. Then I added application express authentication scheme to both. I test the link and was directed to RED's login page.

On both, apps page 101 (Login) there is a get_user_name_cookies process under page rendering. I copied the cookie name 'LOGIN_USERNAME_COOKIE' and pasted it in cookies attributes of authentication scheme.

Now, i am not able to log in. I type in the correct user/pass i am not redirected to page 1. I type in the incorrect user/pass i am not redirected but I get an "Invalid Credential" error message.
  • 10. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    60437 Employee ACE
    Adan,

Don't use the cooke name LOGIN_USERNAME_COOKIE, that's already used by your application (as you found), you'll break the existing functionality. Use FOO or something.

Scott
  • 11. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    580899 Newbie
    wow. that was easy. I used a cookie called "COOKIE_TEST" for both app and it worked, but when I try link

javascript:popupURL('http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=23456:1:&SESSION.:::::')

it doesnt. The popup brings me to RED's login page.
  • 12. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    60437 Employee ACE
    Sounds like something worked like you wanted it to but you don't explain what. Also sounds like something else is not working, unclear how it's related to the problem we've been discussing. It takes some effort to provide more background, explanatory context, and examples but it's really a better use of our time and energy if you do.

Scott
  • 13. Re: Is it possible to access two application with one login?
    580899 Newbie
    Everything is working fine. I guess I was sleep when I posted my last message. Thanks Scott!

Adrian

Message was edited by:
    Adrian