1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2010 9:18 AM by dsmoljanovic Branched to a new discussion. RSS

License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?

I have searched the forums and found the link below in a discussion about the Enterprise Manager Grid Control, but nobody answered this question specifically:

Can you freely install and use the Grid Control (with no additional Packs or Add-Ins)? Or does the Grid Control itself require a license?

P.S. The price list linked here only displays prices for Grid Control Packs and Add-Ins:
      www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/eplext.pdf
        • 1. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
          If you have purchased packs for your Enterprise Edition products, you have purchased Grid Control.

Now, recently Oracle has started shipping add-on products for Grid Control so if you have purchased packs and purchased enterprise management packs (service level management, monitoring non-oracle, or provisioning) you now have purchased add-on's for something that was implicitly licensed.

It can only get more confusing. There is a section of EM Setup where you can turn on/off management pack access for specific targets. When I asked my Oracle sales rep if that implied that I no longer need to purchase the same EE packs for all of my systems I got a NO. The model is still "enterprise" in nature. So, if you want Diagnostics pack on one database you need to purchase if for all. (but, I bet this will change)
          • 2. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
            We have not purchased any Packs or Add-Ins. We have Enterprise RDBMS licenses and Clusterware licenses.

I just was wondering whether we could install the Grid Control without Packs/Add-Ins. It seems like at least we could manage the servers from a single Enterprise Manager web page instead using one for each server, which is the case for the Enterprise Manager database control.

Is there some base-functionality in the Enterprise Manager Grid Control that's free to use, excluding Packs or Add-Ins?
            • 3. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
              You can use Grid without management Packs for free if you have your RDBMS Licence. Atleast you can do your basic functionaly,manage your nodes from centralized console, schedule jobs, do all kinds of DBA jobs expect, performance & diagnostic metrics. You will need respective packs for that.

you can buy a pack either by CPU's or users, you can disable management packs from setup for which you have not paid, its no like that you have to buy a pack for all your servers even if you have to use for one database/server.
              • 5. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
                The base functionality without purchase of management packs is dbconsole. You can add management packs to a single environment and utilize the tools without implementing grid control.

RAC is an exception case where dbconsole will actually consolidate multiple cluster nodes into a single view. Similar functionality is also available to App Server users via the iasconsole.
                • 6. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
                  lrp
                  The base functionality without purchase of management
                  packs is dbconsole. You can add management packs to
                  a single environment and utilize the tools without
                  implementing grid control.
                  Agreed, but the poster's initial question was whether grid control minus any management packs (tuning, diagnostic, change) was an extra cost or not. I'm reading from the above posts that this is included if you have enterprise editions.

We're in a similar situation with about twenty different dbcontrol URL's spread across a dozen servers.
                  • 7. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
                    Wow, 25 separate dbcontrols sound like a nightmare.

By the way, our Oracle rep just happened to come here yesterday, and he validated what was said here.

You can install the Grid Control free; you simply un-check the Packs/Add-Ins during the install.

As I understand it, you would install the Grid Control Agent first on each server, then when you install Oracle RDBMS, the Universal Installer will detect the Agent and enable the Grid Control instead of the Database Control.

Then you install the OEM Grid Control repository and software on a separate server, and that is where you manage all of the Oracle RDBMS servers from.

He also said to use the highest version Grid Control Agents on the database servers and repository server and keep the versions of that software in sync, which is separate from the Oracle RDBMS version.
                    • 8. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
                      It is now posisble to turn on the feature that indicates which tool is related to which pack in Grid Control as work within Grid Control. So you can be aware of what you are using.

At the foot of Grid Control Home page, click on SHow Management Pack Information. It will show this information for each page you navigate to for that session.
                      • 9. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
                        Hi leof,

Wath do you mean by :
                        You can install the Grid Control free; you simply
                        un-check the Packs/Add-Ins during the install.
                        We never found any checklist within the Grid installer. Maybe we must uninstall some parts after a first installation.

In this case, which parts? AND: how IS grid without all that?
                        • 10. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
                          once you have installed your GRID control , install agent(s) on the target hosts, then from the grid home page, setup>>Management Pack access

you can select/unselect management packs for databases and hosts depending upon your agreement with oracle (if you have bought them)
                          • 11. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
                            rodneyli
                            This thread was helpful in identifying whether i can use Grid Control for free...It looks like you can use Grid Control for free but i'm assuming you need a db license for the repository?

Also, if you are just using database console, after you install it, you get the license agreement which tells you that you need to pay for the different packs such as database diagnostics pack, database tuning pack and database configuration packs. Does anyone know how much each of these costs? or is there a link for all this?

I also want to some clarification on one thing...if you bought the license for the management packs for your different servers, it means you can then use Grid Control to manage all of these?

Thanks.
                            • 12. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
                              EM Grid Control is included hence the G in 10G... but the packs are add ons to EM Grid Control so you need to be careful with the install...
                              • 13. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
                                Lai-Oracle
                                Hi,

No additional licensure is required for the Enterprise Edition Database needed for the Grid Control Repository(only standalone). Also the same database can be used as rman repository

Regards
                                Lai
                                • 14. Re: License for OEM Grid Control or just the additional Packs and Add-Ins?
                                  user12171637
                                  Anyone knows if a seperate license for Oracle Application Server is required?

According to the docs OMS is deployed on OAS in J2EE and Web Cache mode. Unfortunately we are currently not using Oracle Application Server.

Many thanks in advance
                                  1 2 Previous Next