11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2008 9:14 PM by 580125

Blackberry 8830 & Oracle Connector?

bi*425690*rd
      Hi,

Has anyone else tried syncing the Verizon Blackberry 8830 with Oracle Connector for Outlook? I tried installed the BBDM patch from Oracle....but that only seems to work with BBDM 4.1. BBDM 4.2.2 is required for the 8830. Anyone have any workarounds? Or have you had any luck getting this to work?

--Bill                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
        • 1. Re: Blackberry 8830 & Oracle Connector?
          Same issue here. Does anyone know how to find out if/when a new version of OCFO will be available that supports BBDM 4.2.x?

My company uses Oracle Calendar but Outlook for everything else. For me to get my BB 8830 to sync to PIM functions I created a separate personal folders file (.pst) that has my tasks, contacts, notes, misc folders, and here's the problem...a second calendar. I have to manually copy calendar entries between the default Oracle calendar (in Outlook) and this second version (the one that syncs with the BB). Very easy for me to mess up. Anxiously awaiting a solution.

My company does not support the Blackberry Exchange Server so this seems to be my only route. I have wireless email connected via our IMAP server (OK but in not instananeous like with the Blackberry Exchange Server. Other ideas greatly welcomed.
          • 2. Re: Blackberry 8830 & Oracle Connector?
            FYI - I don't think you HAVE to have BBDM 4.2.X for the 8830s (or any other BB for that matter).

Usually you need the install CD to get the device driver so that Windows recognizes the device correctly but after that you can use BBDM 4.1 (with the Oracle Patch) and Outlook 2003 to sync contacts and calendar entries.

I do it every day with my 8100 and setup a customer yesterday with his 8300. We've yet to run across a BB that wouldn't use an older version. You do lose some functionality (Media Manager for one) but generally thats OK with business users.
            • 3. Re: Blackberry 8830 & Oracle Connector?
              I am in the same boat. I have not been able to get that patch. Could someone respond with a URL to download that patch, please?

Thanks,
              • 4. Re: Blackberry 8830 & Oracle Connector?
                bi*425690*rd
                FYI - I don't think you HAVE to have BBDM 4.2.X for
                the 8830s (or any other BB for that matter).

Usually you need the install CD to get the device
                driver so that Windows recognizes the device
                correctly but after that you can use BBDM 4.1 (with
                the Oracle Patch) and Outlook 2003 to sync contacts
                and calendar entries.

I do it every day with my 8100 and setup a customer
                yesterday with his 8300. We've yet to run across a BB
                that wouldn't use an older version. You do lose some
                functionality (Media Manager for one) but generally
                thats OK with business users.
                I can't get this work, maybe you could post intstructions for what has worked in the past?

This doesn't seem to work with the 8830. I install the Desktop Manager 4.1...and it doesn't recognize the device. So I install the .msi package for Blackberry Device Manager 4.2 or the .msi package for "USB & Modem Drivers 4.2". It appears to install properly...but during the install, it removes the Desktop Manager 4.1. If I try to reinstall 4.1 minus the device manager, it will not let me...that is a requited component.

Has anyone had any luck? This is very very frustrating.

I talked to Oracle support a few weeks back, and they said that RIM purposely locked out 3rd party vendors with this release. I have sent a letter to RIM asking them to work with vendors such as Oracle. So if you are having the same issue, please do the same!

Message was edited by:
                bill.baird@phoenixmi.com
                • 5. Re: Blackberry 8830 & Oracle Connector?
                  Here's what I did... (from what I recall).

1. Install DM 4.1 and the necessary BBDM Patch from Oracle **.
                  2. Connect Blackberry - the Blackberry will probably show an error noting "Insufficient power for charging" (or something like that). Go to Windows Device Manager and find the Blackberry device - It is probably listed as a "USB Mass Storage Device". Disconnect/reconnect the device as necessary to identify the line for the Blackberry in Device Manager. Because it lacks proper drivers it will probably have a generic name (i.e. USB Mass Storage Device).
                  3. Update the Windows driver for the Blackberry via Device Manager (Usually it can find the driver via Windows Update (Try letting Windows search the CD if that doesn't work). Device should now show as a Blackberry or a RIM device in Device Manager. It should charge correctly and the previous error message on the device should go away.

4. DM 4.1 should now see the device and be able to sync it with Outlook.

** It's been my experience that sometimes this patch doesn't install correctly unless you use the manual installation (-e command line switch) that is referenced in the readme for the BBDM patch. If you see any message other than "Successfully copied files" (or some variation of that) you need to manually install the patch from a command line using the following syntax: con_outlook_bbdm_patch_x.exe -e C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry

Message was edited by:
                  user583614
                  • 6. Re: Blackberry 8830 & Oracle Connector?
                    bi*425690*rd
                    Finally got it working, thank goodness (and thanks so much for your help user583614 )! What I had to do was slightly different, here is what I did...

-- Install the Blackberry USB & Modem Drivers 4.2.2 from the Blackberry Website.
                    This should install drivers to "c:\program files\common files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers\" (Windows Updates can't find the proper driver, and Verizon doesn't appear to include in on their disc)

-- Install Desktop Manager 4.1
                    After installation, open the Hardware Manger. The device will show as not working properly. Select update driver and use the driver from the location in step 1.
                    After doing this, open the Blackberry Device Manager and it should see the device.

- Install the Oracle BBDM patch

- Enjoy
                    • 7. Re: Blackberry 8830 & Oracle Connector?
                      You can buy SyncJE for 39.99, install it and then are able to sync wirelessly with Oracle Collaboration suite. I haven't tried to sync locally with mine...one you go wireless, you'll never go back to tethered!!!
                      • 8. Re: Blackberry 8830 & Oracle Connector?
                        Do you have a hosted solution or you own install of OCS?
                        • 9. Re: Blackberry 8830 & Oracle Connector?
                          If you could explain how your settings look in SyncJE, I would dance at your wedding. We have our own OCS install, have done everything to make this work and so far; no success.
                          • 10. Re: Blackberry 8830 & Oracle Connector?
                            bi*425690*rd
                            If you could explain how your settings look in
                            SyncJE, I would dance at your wedding. We have our
                            own OCS install, have done everything to make this
                            work and so far; no success.
                            http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/cs/user_info/omobile_collaboration/mobile_data_sync_index.html
                            Wedding is in November
                            • 11. Re: Blackberry 8830 & Oracle Connector?
                              Thanks Bill, I have done all that "by the book" I was just hoping someone knew the magic flag I wasn't flipping. Send directions to the wedding and I'll dance anyway.

Thanks a bunch!
                              Joe