This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2009 8:34 AM by 504662 RSS

PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.

458974 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We are encountering a rather odd exception from hibernate's BatchingBatcher. It seems the row count returned from the JDBC call PreparedStatement.executeBatch() is -1 which according to the JDBC specs should not happen.

We are using Weblogic 9.2
Oracle 9i
Oracle Thin JDBC Driver 10.2.0.2.0
Spring 1.2.8
Hibernate 3.2.3

We are currently trying to find a way to recreate the problem in our test enviroments but without success so far.

Exception:

[ERROR] org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher - Exception executing batch:

org.hibernate.StaleStateException: Batch update returned unexpected row count from update: 2 actual row count: -1 expected: 1

at org.hibernate.jdbc.BatchingBatcher.checkRowCount(BatchingBatcher.java:93)

at org.hibernate.jdbc.BatchingBatcher.checkRowCounts(BatchingBatcher.java:79)

at org.hibernate.jdbc.BatchingBatcher.doExecuteBatch(BatchingBatcher.java:58)

at org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher.executeBatch(AbstractBatcher.java:195)

at org.hibernate.engine.ActionQueue.executeActions(ActionQueue.java:235)

at org.hibernate.engine.ActionQueue.executeActions(ActionQueue.java:144)

Does anyone know of a situation when the actual row count could possibly be -1?
  • 1. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    414247 Newbie
    I wish we could see the actual JDBC call and how a -1 was obtained.
    ExecuteBatch() returns an array, not an int. The elements of the
    array are either -1 or non-negative, so perhaps the -1 is from something
    else? If the array did contain a -1, it's a driver bug.

Joe Weinstein at BEA Systems
  • 2. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    588856 Newbie
    Sorry I wasn't 100% correct in my post. Yes, the method returns a int[]. What I meant was when hibernate goes through that array in BatchingBatcher one of the items in the array contains the -1 value.

Do you think Weblogic can have something to do with it since it wraps OraclePreparedStatement ?

Another thing I failed to mention is that whenever this error occurs the WebLogic connection pool gets screwed up and won't recover. We have to restart the entire App server.. restarting the connection pool does nothing.

Its quite hard to get a JDBC trace since this only happens in production and occurs maybe once a day on one of the nodes. Running in debug mode for that amount of time is not doable I think.
  • 3. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    414247 Newbie
    wls won't have anything to do with int[] returns, and the other symptoms
    point strongly to an oracle driver problem. Make sure you're using
    the 10.2.0.3 version of the driver, and we'll work from there.
    Joe Weinstein at BEA Systems
  • 4. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    588856 Newbie
    Ok. I will try to have the new driver installed during the day. I will get back to you with the results on Monday. Have a nice weekend Joe.
  • 5. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    589455 Newbie
    Hi,
    did you solve the problem?
    we have a similar problem with a similar configuration. Even upgrading the driver to the 10.2.0.3 version did not solve the malfunctioning.

regards
    Giordano
  • 6. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    458974 Newbie
    No, we still have this problem, good to know that the 10.2.0.3 driver fails, that was our next step :-( .. You can email me at peter@pbconsulting.se and we can try to work togheter on this one. Have you considered trying the OCI driver ?
  • 7. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    220675 Newbie
    I have a client that is experiencing this exact same problem.

Has anyone been able to find a solution?

...jeff
  • 8. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    414247 Newbie
    If anyone can show a simple standlone program that
    duplicates this problem, it'll go a long way to getting
    Oracle to address the driver bug.
  • 9. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    220675 Newbie
    Unfortunately, we experience this in a very complex distributed application when we do web-service-based data loading into a cluster... not quite a simple application that can be wrapped up into a tarball...

We might try to replicate this later on with a nice standalone app, but for now we just have to try to resolve it with other workarounds (eliminating batch updates, etc).
  • 10. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    220675 Newbie
    Just a note-

We are using JBoss in our scenario, and we have found in our testing today that disabling the hibernate batching (passing a "-Dhibernate.jdbc.batch_size=0" param into the start command) seems to have solved those problems... those errors no longer manifest.

As well, we've actually seen some performance increase on quite a few of our queries.

Our one large row insert that would really benefit from batching is now taking longer, but at least it's working without errors.
  • 11. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    user455235 Newbie
    Hi all,

We here have experienced the exact same situation here on both our Production system, and our Test System! Our environment is:
    - Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 RAC database (2-node) on Linux AS4
    - App Server is Linux AS4 running JBoss with Hibernate 3.2.2 using CMT
    - Oracle JDBC driver 10.2.0.3.0 (with patch 5609480).

Whenever we turn on Hibernate Batch DML (set to 15 or 20, or anynumber > 0, after a period time and system load, the system has unrecoverable errors, and when any user tries to insert more than 3 records from anywhere in the system, it errors out. Basically, it goes into a state where we need to re-start JBoss and our applications. This works for a period of time until it breaks again. We have been able to successfully create a JMeter task to reproduce this error by loading the system with 50 concurrent users doing simple queries for a period of 20-30 minutes.

The Hibernate error we get is:
    =====================
    Date/Time of Error Thu Jan 10 13:35:29 EST 2008
    Error Message RuntimeException; nested exception is: org.hibernate.StaleStateException: Batch update returned unexpected row count from update [3]; actual row count: -1; expected: 1
    Details Expand/Collapse
    java.rmi.ServerException: RuntimeException; nested exception is:
    org.hibernate.StaleStateException: Batch update returned unexpected row count from update [3]; actual row count: -1; expected: 1
    at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LogInterceptor.handleException(LogInterceptor.java:421)
    at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LogInterceptor.invoke(LogInterceptor.java:209)
    at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.ProxyFactoryFinderInterceptor.invoke(ProxyFactoryFinderInterceptor.java:136)

Our testing has included a load of 50 concurrent users performing simple queries that take 15-20 secs. to complete.
    The unit-of-work includes 4 items only:
    1) get a sequence number
    2) insert rec into audit table with query start time.
    3) perform select query (sometimes this might be 2-3 select statements)
    4) update rec in audit table with query end time.

We started with the Oracle JDBC 10.2.0.1.0 driver - this failed,
    then tested 10.2.0.3.0 driver, - this failed,
    then tested 10.2.0.3.0 driver with patch 5609480, - THIS FAILED TOO.

Since then, we tested our system with the latest DataDirect JDBC driver, and interestingly enough, we were able to successfully make Hibernate work with the the Batch DML setting ON (batch size set to 15 or 20 worked fine). We had no errors using this DataDirect Driver, with our replicatable system test. It is our belief that Oracle may still have a problem with their latest 10.2.0.3.0 driver, even with the latest patch.

Has anyone gotten this problem resolved yet, other than by turning off Batch DML ?? - Thanks, Vince Desborough DBA
  • 12. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    619747 Newbie
    Hi,

To add another "me too" to this thread, we are also facing the same problem on our Production system. Unfortunately we are having issues recreating it on our development/test instances. Our production environment is:

- Oracle 10.2.0.2
    - Suse Linux 64bit running Tomcat 5.5 with Hibernate 3.2.4sp1
    - Oracle JDBC driver 10.2.0.1.0
  • 13. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    630118 Newbie
    My client is also encountering this problem but only when running 64bit Weblogic 10.

Their stack is:

Weblogic 10
    Spring 2.0
    Hibernate 3.2.0
    Oracle Driver 10.2.0.2.0

The same code running on on 32bit Weblogic 10 or Weblogic 9.1 does not exhibit the problem.
  • 14. Re: PreparedStatement.executeBatch()  returns -1 which is illegal.
    630118 Newbie
    We replaced the Oracle Driver with a Driver from Data Direct in an effort to isolate the problem... however it still happens.

Our problem occurs in multi-threaded batch code. When run in a single thread, the problem does not occur.

Given the variety of platforms documented here, this sounds like it might be a Hibernate problem.
1 2 Previous Next