1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 23, 2002 3:59 PM by 110372 RSS

can not create buffer file in sql plus

Hi everyone,

I got an error message: SP2-0110: Cannot create save file "afiedt.buf", when I try command EDIT in sql plus. Do I missing some files?

Thanks.

• 1. re:can not create buffer file in sql plus
          Problem: -------- Customer runs sqlplus from windows which is installed on a network Problem Description: -------------------- - types in a select statement. - types edit to save to a file. - gets write permissions error because sqlplus tries to write "afiedt.buf" to a directory on the network to which the user does not have write privileges. Customer wants to write to local directory by default. Solution: --------- Create a shortcut for SQL*Plus on the desktop of MS-Windows. Highlight the icon for that shortcut. Assuming your mouse settings are set to right hand mouse, click on the right button of your mouse to open a menu. Select 'Properties' from that menu. Click on the tab labelled 'Shortcut'. Change the working directory to a local directory with write access. On MS-Windows95 it is called the target directory under the shortcut tab on the properties sheet. Solution Description: --------------------- The default directory where SQL*Plus attempts to write the buffer file afiedt.buf is <drive>:\<oracle_home>\bin, for example, C:\ORANT\bin. You need write permission to the default directory. If SQL*Plus is installed in an Oracle Home on a network drive chances are that the administrator of the file server protects the installation by not granting write or modify access to those network drives. Hence the error and workaround

Hi everyone,
          I got an error message: SP2-0110: Cannot create save file "afiedt.buf", when I try command EDIT in sql plus. Do I missing some files?
          Thanks.