5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2007 10:00 PM by Madrid RSS

Message 850 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK

This is really a post-installation problem - my oracle installation was fine for a long time, then about a month ago the Apex HTTP portion stopped working while the DB continued to work (though frequently wouldn't come up after a reboot until I restart the services). I don't know what happened to Apex, but in trying to troubleshoot, I may have screwed up my Oracle install as it has not come back up since my last reboot.

My DB name is NMDOT.

I have the following services.
      1. OracleDBConsolenmdot - Automatic, starts ok
      2. OracleJobSchedulerNMDOT - Manual
      3. OracleOraDb 10g_home1TNSListener - Automatic, won't start
      4. OracleOraDb 10g_httphomeASControl - Automatic, won't start
      5. OracleOraDb 10g_httphomeProcessManager - Automatic, starts ok
      6. OracleServiceNMDOT - Automatic, starts OK

Symptoms:
      1. 404 Not found trying to get to Enterprise Manager (http://genborne:1158/em/console/logon/database/instance/repDown?target=nmdot&type=oracle_database)
      2. Trying to connect via SQL Developer: "An error was encountered...IO exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection"
      3. I get the message 850 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=NL message if I try to run lsnrctl; I see a lot of suggestion that this is a problem with the ORACLE_HOME setting - thus my question below.

I am relatively new to Oracle and don't have much familiarity with the older tools (e.g. ISQL * Plus)

I have a Loopback adapter installed, though one thing I did before the last reboot is that I uninstalled and reinstalled it. That said, I've done this a few times without repercussion.

One question I have is, under my oracle install, I have:

1. oracle\product\10.2\db - this is the ORACLE_HOME for OraDb 10g_httphome, according to my registry, but there is no \network\admin folder under it so no .ora files
      2. oracle\product\10.2\db_1 - this is the ORACLE_HOME for OraDb 10g_home1 and I do have .ora files here

Is it a problem that I only have a .ora files under one of the ORACLE_HOMEs?

Here are the contents:

1. Listener.ora

C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\listener.ora

# SID_LIST_LISTENER =
      # (SID_LIST =
      # (SID_DESC =
      # (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      # (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1)
      # (PROGRAM = extproc)
      # )
      # )

(SID_LIST =
      (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)
      )
      (SID_DESC =
      (GLOBAL_DBNAME = NMDOT
      (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1)
      (SID_NAME = NMDOT
      )

LISTENER =
      (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = GENBORNE)(PORT = 1521))
      )
      )

2. sqlnet.ora

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT, HOSTNAME)

3. tnsnames.ora

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
      # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

NMDOT =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = GENBORNE)(PORT = 1521))
      (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SID = NMDOT)
      (SERVICE_NAME = nmdot)
      )
      )

#XE =
      # (DESCRIPTION =
      # (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = GENBORNE)(PORT = 1521))
      # (CONNECT_DATA =
      # (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      #
      # (SERVICE_NAME = XE
      # )
      # )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
      )
      (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = PLSExtProc)
      (PRESENTATION = RO)
      )
      )

I don't remember putting the EXTRAPROC stuff in there, nor do I remember it being there initially, so I'm wondering if that could have been put in there by an app I installed and if so, whether this app hosed my install.

Also, is there any way to repair an Oracle installation? This is obviously a Windows user question, but most apps can be uninstalled and reinstalled without losing data. I don't see any such option for Oracle.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can follow this (-:
        • 1. Re: Message 850 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK
          Madrid
          Something has messed with the PATH envrionment variable.

You should ensure first Oracle Home works fine, next the other oracle home. This is a frequent issue when dealing with more than one oracle home, environments can be mixed without a warning. From the error message:

I get the message 850 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=NL message if I try to run lsnrctl; I see a lot of suggestion that this is a problem with the ORACLE_HOME setting - thus my question below.

It means Oracle is executing binaries at a home directory and is trying to obtain error message text from another, so it is a symptom OracleHomes are mixed.

Please check the PATH environment variable and explicitly set it before you attempt to start your listener and database.

Once you have been successful with this first oracle home, continue with the other, same issue. reset environment variables to a suitable value.

On the other hand 00850 doesn't look like an oracle kernel error message, but rather an EM error. When you attempted to start your EM it culd be trying to obtain binaries from the second Oracle Home. Same issue, verify and explicitly set PATH environment variable before attempting to start EM.

~ Madrid.
          • 2. Re: Message 850 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK
            Madrid, thanks so much for responding.

Sorry I left out an important piece of information - this is on Windows XP. I believe in that environment, ORACLE_HOME comes from the registry and not the environment variable. Is that correct?

Also, how do I "ensure first Oracle Home works fine." I don't truly understand why I have two homes and what they are for. How do I know which is which. Don't I only have one Listener? I only have one Listener service.
            • 3. Re: Message 850 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK
              Madrid
              Check both, at the OUI and registry how many Oracle Homes you have and what they are used for.

The default Oracle Home is the first one named in the PATH environment variable.

If you determine one of the oracle homes is useless you may consider remove that installation.

~ Madrid
              • 4. Re: Message 850 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK
                I think I had a typo in my listener or tnsnames file that fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.
                • 5. Re: Message 850 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK
                  Madrid
                  Thanks for the Update.

Best Regards.