8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2007 12:40 PM by Ajschifano-Oracle RSS

The results are in...

We've just gotten data for August, 2007, for the report we run called "Customers in Motion." This data shows customers on (live) and going to (upgrading or implementing) by release. The data shows 56% of our customers on the later releases (8.10, 8.11, 8.12).

Current breakdown is:
      Xe 22%
      8.0 9%
      8.9 13%
      8.10 17%
      8.11 25%
      8.12 14%

The trend is fairly consistent in about 1% moving to the later releases per month, with growth in 8.12 being very heathly.

Surprised? As you expected? Do the companies in your community map to this global trend, or do you see a different pattern?

Dan
        • 1. Re: The results are in...
          I am a JDE XE (SP23) manager in a Healtcare company. We changed, recently, our version of Oracle database from 9 to 10R2, with the hope to improve performances.
          Hope deceived with OS Windows 2003 32-bit and other problems of database stability.
          In these conditins we need to migrate to OS Windows 2003 64-bit or next database release, but JDE and Oracle didn't schedule this migration for JDE XE.
          Do you want to force us to migrate at a new version of JDE (8.11 or 8.12) ?
          We studied that our migration to one of these can return us only a 20% of customizations' reduction !!!! Probably for us is better to migrate to anoter ERP (non Oracle) platform ! And I think thisis a doubt also for other JDE XE customer.
          Best regards.
          • 2. Re: The results are in...
            Ajschifano-Oracle
            The JD Edwards EnterpriseOne platform matrix always seems to provide a good target for discussion.

In general our strategy is to sustain, but not necessarily expand, platform options for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Xe/8.0. Therefore, we continue to support 32-bit databases (Oracle, SQL Server, and IBM DB2) on Windows, but we have no plans to expand support to the 64-bit editions, nor do we have plans to expand to Linux. The 64-bit Oracle Database options for Xe and 8.0 are on UNIX (AIX, HP-UX, and Solaris).

In the newer product line (EnterpriseOne Tools 8.96) we have opted to expand the platform options to include 64-bit databases on Windows (Oracle Database 10g and SQL Server 2005) and Linux (Oracle Database 10g).

Matching the EnterpriseOne platform matrix to the needs of the community is a bit of a delicate science. The Quest Enhancement process is a good mechanism for submitting suggestions for enhancements in the platform area.
            • 3. Re: The results are in...
              ajhart
              FWIW, I work for an organization that has production environments in XE, 8.9, and more recently 8.12. While there is a strong desire to move everything to 8.12, it will be sometime before that is realized due to the sunk investments in the older environments (i.e. too much customization). Fortunately, the 8.12 instance is relatively standard...at this time...we will see what transpires. I would not think there will be anytype of quick migration upward as the business cases are relatively weak for the upgrades (other than a technical desire to achieve a common platform).
              • 4. Re: The results are in...
                Glad to hear that the 8.12 environment is going well so far. As you probably know, we have strong ongoing adoption of this release.

Do you think your organization has done all the requisite homework when you state the business case is weak for upgrading from XE and 8.9? There is a lot of information on the upgrade site (Customer Connection) and with so many enhancements and new modules since that timeframe, I would hope you would find some things that would really help your business (though, of course, you may not). Generally speaking, one of the benefits that customers see in upgrading to later versions is getting rid of customizations that are no longer needed (based on new functionality, etc) and if you have good information about what customizations you have and why, this is another area to look into.

Dan
                • 5. Re: Net change guide between 8.12 and Xe
                  I am looking for Net change guide between 8.12 and
                  Xe and Developers guide between 8.12 and Xe .

Your help is appreciated.

Kaushik desai
                  • 6. Re: Net change guide between 8.12 and Xe
                    You can find functional differences in the Upgrade Value Proposition. This (large) document contains all major enhancements to JD Edwards EnterpriseOne and is available on Customer Connection on the upgrade web site. There is also a PowerPoint with highlights below it.

There is also a Developer's Guide posted, which is cumulative for Xe to 8.12.

Here is the link (signon required): http://www.peoplesoft.com/corp/en/iou/upgrade/e1_upgrd_resources.jsp

The Upgrade Value Proposition is under Evaluate (first section) and the Developer's Guide is under Execute (first section).

Regards,
                    Dan
                    • 7. JDEdwards Enterprise One on Suse Linux?
                      I have a question concerning JDE with Suse Linux. Oracle DB 10 is certified for Suse Linux, if a customer wants to continue to work on its DB, how can this go together with JDE? I do not understand that the DB itself is certified on Suse Linux, but the technical requirements for JDE only support Red Hat Linux. Is there a way out?

Thank you
                      Petra
                      • 8. Re: JDEdwards Enterprise One on Suse Linux?
                        Ajschifano-Oracle
                        Oracle Database supports quite a vast array of hardware architectures and operating systems. The JD Edwards engineering team chooses a subset of that array for certification with JD Edwards EnterpriseOne. At this time JD Edwards EnterpriseOne does not support any of its tiers running under SUSE Linux; only Oracle Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux are supported.