This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2010 9:46 PM by 597001 RSS

What is it actually?

Yawei Zhang Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Uncle Larry said, there's two way to be an information company with a architecture based on grid:

1. Integrited e-business suite

2. hub,

So, acutally what is it, hub.
  • 1. Re: What is it actually?
    597644 Newbie
    Oracle uses the term "hub" to generically refer to a central master data repository. ERP solutions have lots of master data, and lots of transactions data.

If we look at a transaction where a single passenger books a flight from Atlanta to Chicago there is lots of master data:

Details about the specific plane are master data.
    The passenger is master data.
    Event more granular attributes like seat 12E, Atlanta and Chicago can be considered master data depending on how they will be managed throughout the process.

For companies who run a Global Single Instance of the E-Business Suite - all their master data is in one place. Since we now advocate customers use Siebel for CRM and Agile for PLM, E-Business Suite no longer uniquely houses all master data – so “hubs” are a necessary part of Oracle’s application strategy going forward.

In a very simple form, the Oracle Master Data Management “hub” for customer data will ensure that customer data created in Siebel is consistent with the customer data in the E-Business Suite. Oracle Customer Data Hubs include Oracle CDH and Siebel UCM – they effectively do the same thing, but there are compelling reasons for a customer to implement one or the other based on their landscape and business drivers.

The Oracle Product Data Hub will synchronize data from PLM to E-Business Suite and any other systems that need it.

If you have additional questions or need direct or indirect deal support, feel free to shoot me an email.

Dan

Dan Gage | Global MDM Solution Architect | +1.803.397.6408
    Oracle Product and Industries Business Unit
    FMW / Master Data Management
    dan.gage@oracle.com
  • 2. Re: What is it actually?
    Yawei Zhang Explorer
    Thanks a lot!

Before I worked for Schlumberger, everyone knows their hubs, there's a lot of informaiton in it, like a website.
  • 3. Re: What is it actually?
    620902 Newbie
    Hubs are also called repositories in some MDM (master data management)products.
    MDM products like the ones from i2, SAP, IBM have multiple repositories (hubs):material, customer, employee,product etc....
    Hence CDI, PIM are business scenarios implemented via MDM.
  • 4. Re: What is it actually?
    696029 Newbie
    Can you plz let me know why/when companies need PDH? They already have Master Item and other related forms in Oracle Inventory responsibiity but still they are going for PDH and I don't know the clear reason for it.

Thanks a lot!
  • 5. Re: What is it actually?
    Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant Guru
    When you define a product, there are a lot of attributes that you want to capture.
    Oracle Inventory lets you capture only a small number of such attributes.
    PDH lets you have a lot more functionality.
    You can define your own attributes, define value sets for each of them.
    You can have advanced search capability.
    You can control read/write access to the attributes
    etc. etc.
  • 6. Re: What is it actually?
    597001 Journeyer
    Apart from the above mentioned capablities of Product Information Management, now-a-days Organizations want to have a "Single Source of Truth" for their items. This is because they are operating in multiple verticals with numerous boundary systems like ERP, PLM, Legacy etc.. Getting product data from all systems and simultaneously synchronizing it to various spoke systems to get near real-time data is a challenge. PIMDH acts as a central repository for all the item information coming from disparate systems.
  • 7. Re: What is it actually?
    788550 Newbie
    Where can I get more information about Product Data Hub?
  • 8. Re: What is it actually?
    597001 Journeyer
    Please refer the *12.1.2*implentation and user guide

Additionally try to search in Metalink, following are some useful information on PIMDH.
    How To Determine the Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Patchset and Rollup Patch Version *[ID 414470.1]*
    11i10 Oracle Product Lifecycle Management Documentation *[ID 306132.1]*
    About the Oracle Product Lifecycle Management Family (Family Pack E) *[ID 309187.1]*
    About Product Information Management in Oracle Product Lifecycle Management Family Pack E *[ID 309192.1]*
    About Oracle Product Information Management Data Hub Family Pack E *[ID 309183.1]*
    How Do I Get the Product Information Management Data Librarian Responsibility Patch (4379383) Mentioned In Note 309187.1 *[ID 331992.1]*
    Migration Of PLM Configuration Setups From One Instance To The Another *[ID 846335.1]*
    Product Lifecycle Management/ Product Information Management APIs *[ID 730164.1]*
    Setting Up Oracle Data Integrator Artifacts and Webservices for Oracle Product Information Management *[ID 888696.1]*
    List Of Licensed Application Modules For Product Information Management *[ID 341921.1]*
    R12 Oracle Product Information Management Product Specific Roadmap *[ID 406178.1]*
    FAQs on PIM AIA 2.5 *[ID 888344.1]*
    E1: PIM: How to find documentation on PIM *[ID 652675.1]*
    Using Business Events in PLM and PIM Data Librarian *[ID 372814.1]*

Cheers!!!
    ND