6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2006 3:02 AM by 3004

Network Error [10054] - Cannot receive data

<p>Hi,</p><p>I'm trying to calculate the database using default calc CALCALLafter loading some data and I get the error "Network Error[10054] - Cannot receive data".</p><p>can you please suggest me how to get rid of this error.</p><p>Thanks in advance.</p><p>-balu</p>
        • 1. Network Error [10054] - Cannot receive data
          This error happens when network conditions don't allow the client to talk to the server properly, and a request has gone unanswered. It has also been observed with some systems (I have no details on which) that get into a "bad network mode" due to system stability/high utilization.<BR><BR>To address the "typical" case, where the network performance is at fault, there are two settings you can put in the server and/or client to affect the frequency and delay of network resends. These are essbase.cfg settings that are easily found in the documentation once you know where to look (essbase.cfg). I won't go into details because you should read the fine print there...<BR><BR>To address the stability issue, you should try to see if some runaway process could be causing the O.S. to disregard the server application threads. One possibility is a server that is set up to run Essbase as a service, but is configured to give weight to applications, or vice versa. Another is the use of certain anti-virus applications that occasionally determine that they deserve 100% of available CPU power, regardless of what's happening around it (typically the free ones offered over the web, but there are some that "don't play well with others", too).<BR><BR>-Doug.<BR>
          • 2. Network Error [10054] - Cannot receive data
            <p>thanks Doug.</p><p>what puzzles me is that...i tried running different calcs on thesame database.</p><p>every calc runs fine except "CALCALL".</p><p>can you please through some light in this issue.</p><p>why am i getting network error for only "CALCALL"</p><p>thanks in advance.</p><p>-Balu.</p><p>P.S: i like your way of guiding me to the dbag (.cfg settings)instead of spoon feeding. i think this is teh best way.</p>
            • 3. Network Error [10054] - Cannot receive data
              By "CALCALL" you mean "CALC ALL", right? I'd have a hard time believing this was the cause, but then again, it wouldn't be the first time Hyperion weirded out on this kind of thing... assuming of course you neglected the space.<BR><BR>-Doug.<BR>
              • 4. Network Error [10054] - Cannot receive data
                <p>Try bumping up the values of NETDELAY and NETRETRYCOUNT in theessbase.cfg file.  I've experienced this problem in the pastand upping these setting resolved it.</p>
                • 5. Network Error [10054] - Cannot receive data
                  <p>We had to change our port range due to conflicts with othersoftware (backup) using the same default ports that Essbaseuses.</p>
                  • 6. Network Error [10054] - Cannot receive data
                    Wow, this is an interesting scenario -- I'm still wondering why it picked on a particular type of calc but not other operations, but if that solves it, great...<BR><BR>Do you mind posting the backup application's name? It could be useful to know this.<BR><BR><BR>-Doug.