This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2007 3:34 PM by 3004 RSS

System9 How many Rams Can I Use?

3004 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Guys<BR><BR>I Use System9 Planing and Essbase.<BR><BR>My Server has Xenon 3.0Ghz *2 and 8Gb RAM.<BR> <BR>I don't know how many rams Server can use for Essbase in System9.<BR><BR>I thought server use 100% of CPU but ram used just 3Gb.<BR><BR>Any Setting method? or Anything else?<BR><BR>Thanks
  • 1. System9 How many Rams Can I Use?
    3004 Newbie
    <p>A true expert can correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe thatthe ram used by a server is quite dependent on which (and how many)applications and databases are running - and would be a function ofhow big your outline is, what kind of cache settings you've usedetc. There wouldn't be much benefit in having a small cube gettingassigned 8 gigs of ram - there wouldn't be much performanceimprovement .</p><p> </p><p>Our Dev server has 8 gigs total, and there are numerous apps anddatabases. We rarely approach the full 8 gigs- it's mostly usefulso that we can do concurrent large calcs for unrelatedapplications.</p><p> </p><p>There is a step-by-step method of calculating how much memory isrequired by a database in the technical reference. It is quite alengthy guide.</p><p> </p>
  • 2. System9 How many Rams Can I Use?
    3004 Newbie
    <p><b>Hi ragil and Rgallowa,<br><br>if you have 8 Gb of RAM , it does not mean that the complete memoryis utilised for cubes /applications.<br><br>As rgallowa rightly said that the application level settings definethe utilisation of memory for that application.<br><br>But still , we need to understand that if we have 4 GB of RAMhypothetically , then 2 GB is accomodated fot the windows(operating system) itself and the rest is used for the rest ofapplications (essbase ).<br><br>One can make use of 4GB RAM tuning which is available in essbase(again with few reservations , check the plat forms which arementioned in Pg 1122) .<br><br>more information on the platform and the RAM</b></p><p> </p><table><tr style=" height: 12.0pt;" height="16"><td style=" width: 83pt; height: 12.0pt;" height="16" x:str="2000 Advanced " class="xl24" width="110"><b>2000 Advanced<spanstyle=" mso-spacerun: yes;"> </span></b></td><td style=" width: 83pt; border-left: none;" class="xl25" width="110"><b>2000 Data center</b></td><td style=" width: 83pt; border-left: none;" class="xl24" width="110"><b>XP/2003</b></td><td style=" width: 89pt; border-left: none;" class="xl24" width="118"><b>2003 enterprise</b></td><td style=" width: 95pt; border-left: none;" class="xl24" width="126"><b>2003 data center</b></td></tr><tr style=" height: 12.0pt;" height="16"><td style=" border-top: none; height: 12.0pt;" height="16" class= "xl24"><b>8GB</b></td><td style=" width: 83pt; border-left: none; border-top: none;"class="xl25" x:num="" width="110"><b>32</b></td><td style=" border-left: none; border-top: none;" class="xl24"><b>4GB</b></td><td style=" border-left: none; border-top: none;" class="xl24"><b>32GB</b></td><td style=" border-left: none; border-top: none;" class="xl24"><b>64GB</b></td></tr><tr style=" height: 12.0pt;" height="16"><td style=" border-top: none; height: 12.0pt;" height="16" class= "xl24"><b> </b></td><td style=" width: 83pt; border-left: none; border-top: none;"class="xl25" width="110"><b> </b></td><td style=" border-left: none; border-top: none;" class="xl24"><b> </b></td><td style=" border-left: none; border-top: none;" class="xl24"><b> </b></td><td style=" border-left: none; border-top: none;" class="xl24"><b> </b></td></tr></table><p> </p><p><b>With the help of this table , one can say how much of memoryis possible on which operating system .</b></p><p> </p><p> </p><p><b>Sandeep Reddy</b></p><p><b>HCC</b></p><p><b><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br></b></p>