This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2007 5:34 PM by 3004 RSS

Parent of a shared member

3004 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
How do I get with a VBA command the parent of a shared member?What I get is the parent of the stored member, but I need the parent of the effective shared member.Help is very appreciated.
  • 1. RE:Parent of a shared member
    3004 Newbie
    We found this issue several years ago. Hyperion called it "expected behavior." They don't feel it is a problem and is how they built it to work. I don't know if they have ever addressed it since it is working how they expect it to work.
  • 2. RE:Parent of a shared member
    3004 Newbie
    Use the EsbOtlGetNextSharedMember(hOutline, hMember, hShared) VB call. I found a bug in this function in that it doesn't seem to work when resolving aliases to return hMember but works against base names. Very odd.
  • 3. Parent of a shared member
    3004 Newbie
    Its now 2007. Has anyone discovered a way to get the ancestors of a shared member? It seems that EsbOtlGetNextSharedMember does indeed return a distinct handle for the shared member. However, when that handle is passed to EsbOtlQueryMembers(hOutline, hshared, Predicate, Counts) what ultimately comes back is the anscestors of the original member, not the shared member. I also haven't seen any report-writer syntax to generate the list of ancestors for a shared member either.
  • 4. Parent of a shared member
    3004 Newbie
    <p>Would something like this work?</p><p> </p><p>EsbOtlFindMember</p><p>Pass hMember to EsbOtlGetNextSharedMember</p><p> </p><p>While Loop</p><p>Pass hShared to EsbOtlGetParent</p><p>Pass hParent to EsbOtlGetMemberInfo (to get the szMembername)</p><p>hShared = hHandle</p><p>Loop</p><p> </p><p>Loop will continue until EsbOtlGetParent <> 0.</p>