10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2008 7:04 PM by knut

How to Post Data from Outside Oracle using APEX Application?

In my APEX application i have one form(Employee Form) contains employee id and name,
      and that one is linked to one table caled MY_EMP.

Is it possible to post data to MY_EMP using My APEX application from outside APEX
      (like normal HTML have 2 fields if i press submit button the form will post the data)?
        • 1. Re: How to Post Data from Outside Oracle using APEX Application?
          Kathir,

Yes, it is possible. You need to create a process (probably On Submit - After Computations and Validations), and in this process you can write PL/SQL code that can do whatever you want.

Sima.
          • 2. Re: How to Post Data from Outside Oracle using APEX Application?
            Kathir,

Do you want it to be possible or do you want assurance that it is not possible?

If your application requires authentication then I'd say that it's not possible.

If your application is public, then it might be possible, but it would be cumbersome.

I need to understand your exact requirements to be able to give you a more specific and detailed answer.

Scott
            • 3. Re: How to Post Data from Outside Oracle using APEX Application?
              Slsmith-Oracle
              I am looking for the same answer, but with a NO Authentication page. I believe the key is putting the right URL in front of the wwv_flow.accept call in the <form ...> tag, but not sure what to use in finding that URL. /stephen
              • 4. Re: How to Post Data from Outside Oracle using APEX Application?
                Stephen -

You stated your requirements in more detail in your email to the help mailing list. For the benefit of others I'm posting them here:

"I have a simple insert form with 4 input elements. The application has NO authentication. I want to be able to take the html form and input tags, etc. and move them into an existing plain html page on a generic web site (not the Apex site). So, that when the use clicks the submit button the data then the form action post the info to the apex db.

I have put the URL for the form in front of the wwv_flow.accept form action, but that did not work.

My guess is that I need to put a DAD url in front of the wwv_flow.accept form action, but....
                1. I'm not sure that's correct or all I need to do.
                2. I'm not sure how to identify the correct url to use on the wwv_flow.accept

I would prefer to stay with html in the new page instead of using an iFrame call."

Scott
                • 5. Re: How to Post Data from Outside Oracle using APEX Application?
                  Slsmith-Oracle
                  Found an answer - hope this is what the first person was looking for.

You can embedded the Apex code within HTML with the following key steps:
                  1. Java scripts need to reference the correct URL paths. For example on apex.oracle.com they would be
                  <script src="http://apex.oracle.com/i/javascript/htmldb_html_elements.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
                  <script src="http://apex.oracle.com/i/javascript/htmldb_get.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

2. The <form...> tag needs to have the DAD URL in it. Such as:
                  <form action="http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/wwv_flow.accept" method="post" name="wwv_flow" id="wwvFlowForm" >

Any other references need to point to the right URLs.

Finally, the action that will occur after submission is defined by the Apex Form, so you will need to set the appropriate Branch action in the application, such as going back to the same URL currently on, etc.

Stephen
                  • 6. Re: How to Post Data from Outside Oracle using APEX Application?
                    Hai all so sorry for the late response

Now i can able to Post data from HTML (NO Authentication) .
                    i've reached this one with the help of "Stephen" information thank you so much Stephen also thanks for all who are all replied for this thread.

Thanks
                    Kathir
                    • 7. Re: How to Post Data from Outside Oracle using APEX Application?
                      Andrew R
                      Hi Kathir,

I have a similar requirement. Could you please post your external form's html so I can see how you've managed to do this.

Thanks,

Andrew.
                      • 8. Re: How to Post Data from Outside Oracle using APEX Application?
                        Hai Andrew

instead of send the Heavy HTMl i'll tell the eay way to meet your requirement.

1) Create a insert Form in APEX Application for which table you want to insert.
                        2) Save that Form as HTML
                        3) On that HTML change all /i/.. folders to relative path like D:/apex/images/...
                        4) Change the Form Action to like
                        <form action="http://LOCALHOST:7777/pls/apex/wwv_flow.accept" method="post" name="wwv_flow" id="wwvFlowForm" >

now click the create button the form will post you data to table .

Why i explained the above steps are for each form contains the application id and few hidden fields. If you try like above you can see all that informations based on that you can change the HTML to your taste.

kathir
                        • 9. Re: How to Post Data from Outside Oracle using APEX Application?
                          knut
                          Hi

How did you retrieve the values from your apex application?

ex: i had 4 fields in the html form.
                          how were you able to access the field values?

what if the post was an xml stream?

Thanks
                          • 10. Re: How to Post Data from Outside Oracle using APEX Application?
                            knut
                            Hi,

Can you explain how you got this to work