11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2007 7:20 AM by Tony Garabedian RSS

Disadvantages of Oracle Forms

Hello,

I am searching for any disadvantages of Oracle Forms. Until now I have found that it is very old and the support for it will finish in 2013. Are there any other? thx
        • 1. Re: Disadvantages of Oracle Forms
          Did you drive per train (nearly 200 year old) or by car (120 years). Or only by plane, because it's not so old than the other two :-)

The support didn't end in 2013, because this is only the support-range for Forms 10g.

Why did you look for disadvantages? Isn't that crazy... look for advantages, like "Forms is the most productive development tool" - Gartner Group.

have a good day
          Gerd
          • 2. Re: Disadvantages of Oracle Forms
            I do a comparison and have enough positive facts (but if there are any others I would take them, too). I compare .NET, Forms, OAF and APEX with Pros and Cons, so I need the Cons of Forms ;-)
            • 3. Re: Disadvantages of Oracle Forms
              Zlatko Sirotic
              "How to Maneuver Oracle Forms Into an Ideal Position for Next-Generation Challenges"
              Mark Driver, Gartner RAS Core Research Note G00146666, 3 July 2007
              http://mediaproducts.gartner.com/reprints/oracle/146666.html

Regards,
              Zlatko Sirotic
              • 4. Re: Disadvantages of Oracle Forms
                When you finish your comparison could you share it with us?I've been developing sw for a time,and each time I find how Foms makes things that in other technologies are difficult and tedious to do.
                aguero
                • 5. Re: Disadvantages of Oracle Forms
                  Tony Garabedian
                  I do a comparison and have enough positive facts (but
                  if there are any others I would take them, too). I
                  compare .NET, Forms, OAF and APEX with Pros and Cons,
                  so I need the Cons of Forms ;-)
                  Your comparison logic is incorrect. (sorry to say it, but I couldn't help my self).

you are trying to compare a peanut with an apple and a cucumber and a water melon, they cannot be compared.

so are these products, each of them is under seperate category, and if you want to choose one, you need to think what your business needs are.

Is it for a small business, what are the transaction types? do you need OLAP? how many users? integration? platform? interface...... (you want me to continue :-) ???? )

.NET, try to deploy an application written in .NET against a database other than ACCESS or SQL server.....

APEX it's complete different technology than forms, the requirement needs can't be applied on both.

Tony
                  • 6. Re: Disadvantages of Oracle Forms
                    interesting, how often we have this discussion in the last days :-)
                    • 7. Re: Disadvantages of Oracle Forms
                      OK now I have all criteria that is necesarry I think but if someone has some idea I will add it:

Miscellaneous
                      Oracle support
                      size of community
                      acquisition costs
                      unicode
                      barcode

Development
                      rapid development
                      GUI
                      integration

Application
                      performance
                      many users
                      plattform independent

I want to give 1 to 5 points to each of that criterias for .NET, Forms, APEX and OAF... then I have to think about the weight of each criteria and then I should have a finished conclusion... so @moment I am searching some more criteria. thx
                      • 8. Re: Disadvantages of Oracle Forms
                        if 5 is best, then :

Oracle support 3-4
                        size of community 4
                        acquisition costs
                        unicode
                        barcode ?

rapid development 5
                        GUI 3
                        integration (in java) 4

performance 4
                        many users 5
                        plattform independent 5

this is my individual meaning
                        • 9. Re: Disadvantages of Oracle Forms
                          Tony Garabedian
                          Gerd,

Indeed, in the last few days we've had this discussion many times, sometimes I feel it's a university project/paper/thesis we are helping in :-)
                          If so, we should be mentioned as co-authors :o)

One thing I would add, is the GUI to 5 and integration with Java to 5

Since form can be heavily integrated with Java, so the GUI can be very rich, just Like the [url http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/forms/pdf/10gR2/community_paper_forms_look_and_feel.pdf]New Look and Feel for Oracle Forms

Tony
                          • 10. Re: Disadvantages of Oracle Forms
                            for me is AJAX 5 so I had to decrease Forms a little bit :-)
                            • 11. Re: Disadvantages of Oracle Forms
                              Tony Garabedian
                              Well... can't argue there, but still I like Forms, JDeveloper better ;-)