11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2010 1:35 AM by Hans Forbrich

xhost + unable to Open Display......

Hi folks,

I am trying to install Oracle 10g Rel 3 on Linux .....
      I have set the DISPLAY to my PC's IP....

Being a root user
      I did fire a command xhost servername and just xhost ....
      still it says the same "xhost: unable to open display "172.17.76.118:0.0""

This is causing a problem to run runInstaller.

I have no clue as I have all the prerequisites in place and still this is a pain in my neck
      Please tell me if I am missing any of the pre-req....

Thanks
      Shiva
        • 1. Re: xhost + unable to Open Display......
          Actually I was missing Xserver on my PC which was causing a problem. It is set now to go.

Thanks
          Shiva
          • 2. Re: xhost + unable to Open Display......
            Hi Shiva,

I encountered the same problem as you when installing oracle 10g on suse linux enterprise. Can you advise how to go about setting the XServer.

Thank you so much.
            • 3. Re: xhost + unable to Open Display......
              Madrid
              You should have access to the console, this is a native X environment. Otherwise, if you are connecting through a remote session you must have an XServer installed on your pc. This is, you could install the cygwin.

If you are directly connected at the console then ensure the root user has issued xhost + and when connected with the oracle user verify the value of the DISPLAY environment variable. If you are able to launch an xclient such as xclock then you are ready to start your install session.

~ Madrid
              • 4. Re: xhost + unable to Open Display......
                Madrid,

I am directly connect at the console, and set the value of the DISPLAY environment to the server IP address but when I login as root user and issued xhost + , it prompt error msg [xhost : unable to open display " the ip address"]

Thanks.
                • 5. Re: xhost + unable to Open Display......
                  orafad
                  So, is an X server (with given display number, usually 0) running on this machine?
                  • 6. Re: xhost + unable to Open Display......
                    I encountered the same problem when I tried to install Oracle 11g on Ubuntu 8.04 (i386), eventually, I set DISPLAY like this:
                    $ DISPLAY=:0.0 ; export DISPLAY
                    and then problem solved. I don't know how it works, but it really do.

I hope it helps.
                    • 7. Re: xhost + unable to Open Display......
                      First, thanks, guys, for posting back when you were successful. You guys helped me work through my issue installing Oracle 10g on Solaris 10 r2 in a VM.

I am posting more for the next person who has to deal with this.

In order for it to work for me I did the following steps. Some of it may be superfluous, but I have been at it for several hours and it is about 4 a.m.

1) log into console as root and open a terminal window within CDE
                      2) DISPLAY=:0.0
                      3) export DISPLAY
                      4) xhost +
                      5) su - oracle
                      6) DISPLAY=:0.0
                      7) export DISPLAY
                      8) /user/openwin/bin/xclock <launched xclock this way to ensure it was working, and it was>
                      9) changed back to the directory where the runInstaller was and launched.
                      • 8. Re: xhost + unable to Open Display......
                        Hi, i was having the same problem, and it worked now !!

The problem was i didnt export DISPLAY variable, just setting it. So its really necesary to type "export DISPLAY"

Thanks ;)
                        • 9. Re: xhost + unable to Open Display......
                          Why would this work for the IP but not the hostname example
                          export DISPLAY=hostname:0.0

This should work correct?
                          • 10. Re: xhost + unable to Open Display......
                            Mterra81-Oracle
                            I'm having the same problem on a OEL version 4 machine. I'm trying to install web center framework to an existing weblogic 10.3 server and I can't get the installer to run. I tried the steps in this post but whenever I run xhost + I get the following error:

Xlib: connection to :0.0 refused by server
                            Xlib No protocol specified.

Any ideas?
                            • 11. Re: xhost + unable to Open Display......
                              Hans Forbrich
                              mterra81 wrote:
                              I'm having the same problem on a OEL version 4 machine. I'm trying to install web center framework to an existing weblogic 10.3 server and I can't get the installer to run. I tried the steps in this post but whenever I run xhost + I get the following error:

Xlib: connection to :0.0 refused by server
                              Xlib No protocol specified.

Any ideas?
                              This is often an indication of doing things in the wrong order.

Step 1: Log on to the computer that has an XWindows screen
                              Step 2: Tell that screen to accept remote requests by issuing "xhost +"
                              Step 3: Log on to the computer / user that is to use the XWindows
                              Step 4: Tell that to display on the computer that is to be used for display using export DISPLAY=(host):display.screen
                              Step 5: Run the program that needs a display

Many people log in to root on the computer and then su to oracle to do the installs. While this is fundamentally a stupid thing to do, because using root unnecessarily increases potential security risks and is it NOT good practice and will it NOT be allowed in any self-respecting business, the following would be the sequence

1) Log on to XWindows as root
                              2) Open a terminal
                              3) enter 'xhost +'
                              4) enter 'su - oracle'
                              5) enter 'export DISPLAY=:0.0'
                              6) runInstaller (or use whatever installer is required)

The most common mistake is running xhost after su. This will not work. The xhost must be issued by the first user - the one that owns the screen.