This content has been marked as final. Show 12 replies
I heard, that the iPhone Sync works with the Connector 10.1.3.0.8 ( http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/cs/htdocs/clientsoft.html )and Outlook 2003.
Due to a lack of O2k3 license (which I will have shortly), I could not test this my self.
Binesh, it would be interesting, which connector do you use and which Outlook version?!
Just tried out
- Updated Outlook 2003 to current updates
- Installed Connector 10.1.3.0.8 for Outlook 2003
- Set up connection for U Minnesota Oracle Calendar
- Synced iPhone with iTunes Windows 7.4 something
It all seems to work fine. iTunes set to Sync only Calendar thru Outlook (I sync music etc on a separate Mac).
It looks like creating an event on the iPhone syncs after
- sync with iTunes
- Open Outlook and update Calendar folder.
Can the second step above be automated? ie Outlook set to sync every hour? I'm not very familiar with Connector so maybe there is a setting.
Woo hoo. Great this is now working.
Please provide more details about your sync...
I have followed the instructions available at Oracle OpenLab for the iPhone... Installed the SyncML2iPhone app, entered my @oracle.com mail, my SSO password and the server indicated in the page but the sync always fails. It says there are no events! :S
When you open Oulook Calendar, do you see anything other than the Oracle Calendar? The way I have it working; after setting Oracle connector as default calendar, that is the only calendar showing. I have had a few quirks so I would do things in this order: If the Oracle calendar is the only cal showing in Outlook, make changes in Outlook, close Outlook, open iTunes, plug in device, go to the second tab (I think it's Sync), choose sync with Outlook calendar, allowing time to complete, close iTunes, unplug device (may have to choose "safely unplug" in Windows), open Outlook as necessary. I have made changes on both the phone and in Outlook and they do sync either way. The only major problem I had was having Outlook and Eudora fighting for default mail client status. Outlook MUST be set as the default mail client on the machine in question, even if the user is not using it for email.
Hope this helps,
OK, I'm pretty sure that I figured out how to fix this Calendar problem using other's previous posts. I'm confident the problem is the recurring events issue, especially if they were created in Outlook 2000. I just helped another Oracle colleague, so try these steps:
1.) Export your Calendar as a CSV to your local disk (name it somethinig obvious) - Recurring events won't be completely stored but 30 days of them will, so you'll still have your original event that you can make recurring in step 5 below.
2.) Delete all of your Recurring Events. Don't worry about losing them since the original event will still be in your exported CSV file. Do a "Delete" of the event, not a "Decline".
3.) Import your CSV file and choose the "Do not import Duplicate Items" in the Import wizard,
4.) Perform a Calendar Sync only (not contacts to save time for testing) choosing the "Replace information on this iPhone" checkbox at the bottom of the Info tab for Calendar. Verify that your iPhone now has Calendar events.
5.) Go back into Outlook 2003 or 2007 and open up an event that you previously had set as recurring. Click the Recurrence button at the top and set your recurrence schedule. This event will now be added and you will still see 30 days worth of the original event not in Recurrence format because of the CSV import. Delete the original one so you only have your recurring event so as to not have two of the same event.
6.) Repeat step 4 above and hopefully your iPhone Calendar will now be completely in synce with Outlook.
I also always shut down Outlook before I do an iTunes Sync since I always get OutlookSync.exe errors if I have Outlook open, but I think that's because I have some issues with having migrated my Outlook 2000 files to 2003. ALSO, YOU HAVE TO HAVE 2003 TO SYNC YOUR IPHONE.