12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2008 4:52 PM by 394686 RSS

iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)

Hi

Has anyone succesfully managed to sync an iPhone to an Outlook calendar that is updated using the Oracle Outlook Connector?

My syncing works fine without the connector but as soon as I install it, I get all sorts of errors (including Outlook crashing).

I'd be interested in hearing from others to have tried this confiruration.

Thanks

Binesh
        • 1. Re: iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)
          I contact www.nexthaus.com and they are writing a product which may help. It's a product called SyncJe and they are hoping to bring out a version for the iPhone by the end of the year. They already make a connector for the Blackberry with the Oracle Calendar server.
          • 2. Re: iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)
            dschroe_de
            Hi,
            I heard, that the iPhone Sync works with the Connector 10.1.3.0.8 ( http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/cs/htdocs/clientsoft.html )and Outlook 2003.

Due to a lack of O2k3 license (which I will have shortly), I could not test this my self.

Binesh, it would be interesting, which connector do you use and which Outlook version?!

Cheers,
            Daniel
            • 3. Re: iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)
              I have upgraded to Connector 10.1.3.0.8 and calendar syncing now works with Outlook 2003!
              • 4. Re: iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)
                Just tried out
                - Updated Outlook 2003 to current updates
                - Installed Connector 10.1.3.0.8 for Outlook 2003
                - Set up connection for U Minnesota Oracle Calendar
                - Synced iPhone with iTunes Windows 7.4 something

It all seems to work fine. iTunes set to Sync only Calendar thru Outlook (I sync music etc on a separate Mac).

It looks like creating an event on the iPhone syncs after
                - sync with iTunes
                - Open Outlook and update Calendar folder.

Can the second step above be automated? ie Outlook set to sync every hour? I'm not very familiar with Connector so maybe there is a setting.

Woo hoo. Great this is now working.
                • 5. Re: iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)
                  Hi,

I also managed to get my iphone calendar synchronized directly with oracle calendar server over network (without using cable) with this tool:
                  http://syncml2iphone.com/

(you have to setup database as ./Calendar/Events )

best regards
                  KW
                  • 6. Re: iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)
                    KW - that's encouraging ! I tried but gave up on it.

What is the url that you put in for the server ?

Any special configurations on the server side?

Is your server running over SSL?

Cheers !
                    • 7. Re: iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)
                      KW,

Please provide more details about your sync...

I have followed the instructions available at Oracle OpenLab for the iPhone... Installed the SyncML2iPhone app, entered my @oracle.com mail, my SSO password and the server indicated in the page but the sync always fails. It says there are no events! :S

Thanks!
                      • 8. Re: iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)
                        Could you get with me on making outlook connect with I-tunes. I can't get it to work.

THanks

Randy
                        281-649-3494
                        rpoehl@hbu.edu
                        • 9. Re: iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)
                          Hi Randy,
                          The trick is to make Oracle your default calendar on the install / config of the connector. I have this set up for one of our execs and it's been smooth and relatively painless.

Let me know if I can assist.
                          Joe
                          • 10. Re: iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)
                            User633713-Oracle
                            I have set the default and still unable to sync.
                            • 11. Re: iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)
                              When you open Oulook Calendar, do you see anything other than the Oracle Calendar? The way I have it working; after setting Oracle connector as default calendar, that is the only calendar showing. I have had a few quirks so I would do things in this order: If the Oracle calendar is the only cal showing in Outlook, make changes in Outlook, close Outlook, open iTunes, plug in device, go to the second tab (I think it's Sync), choose sync with Outlook calendar, allowing time to complete, close iTunes, unplug device (may have to choose "safely unplug" in Windows), open Outlook as necessary. I have made changes on both the phone and in Outlook and they do sync either way. The only major problem I had was having Outlook and Eudora fighting for default mail client status. Outlook MUST be set as the default mail client on the machine in question, even if the user is not using it for email.

Hope this helps,
                              Joe
                              • 12. Re: iPhone sync question with Outlook (using Connector for Outlook)
                                OK, I'm pretty sure that I figured out how to fix this Calendar problem using other's previous posts. I'm confident the problem is the recurring events issue, especially if they were created in Outlook 2000. I just helped another Oracle colleague, so try these steps:

1.) Export your Calendar as a CSV to your local disk (name it somethinig obvious) - Recurring events won't be completely stored but 30 days of them will, so you'll still have your original event that you can make recurring in step 5 below.

2.) Delete all of your Recurring Events. Don't worry about losing them since the original event will still be in your exported CSV file. Do a "Delete" of the event, not a "Decline".

3.) Import your CSV file and choose the "Do not import Duplicate Items" in the Import wizard,

4.) Perform a Calendar Sync only (not contacts to save time for testing) choosing the "Replace information on this iPhone" checkbox at the bottom of the Info tab for Calendar. Verify that your iPhone now has Calendar events.

5.) Go back into Outlook 2003 or 2007 and open up an event that you previously had set as recurring. Click the Recurrence button at the top and set your recurrence schedule. This event will now be added and you will still see 30 days worth of the original event not in Recurrence format because of the CSV import. Delete the original one so you only have your recurring event so as to not have two of the same event.

6.) Repeat step 4 above and hopefully your iPhone Calendar will now be completely in synce with Outlook.

I also always shut down Outlook before I do an iTunes Sync since I always get OutlookSync.exe errors if I have Outlook open, but I think that's because I have some issues with having migrated my Outlook 2000 files to 2003. ALSO, YOU HAVE TO HAVE 2003 TO SYNC YOUR IPHONE.