13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2009 5:03 PM by jgarry RSS

dba check list

hi all,

when a dba starts to work with oracle db, what is the starting point?

I mean, when a dba comes to work, from which point he has to look and start at the server. Is there any complete checklist which will describe that these are all the task that dba has to complete? like daily, weekly and monthly basis including checking trace files, backup, performance tuning, etc..

Tnx
        • 1. Re: dba check list
          damorgan
          No such list exists. Different environments require different activities. This is one of those things where it might be said that if you have to ask the question you aren't qualified to do the job.

Here though are my general rules.

1. You'd better know what is in the alert log.
          2. You'd better know that the last backup of the system was successful and can be used to recover and restore.
          3. You'd better know the system is locked down.
          4. You'd better know that everything happening is meeting your SLA with your customers.
          • 2. Re: dba check list
            there are many it ranges like daily work

tablespace monitoring
            alter log monitoring
            datafile monitoring
            daily backup

weekly
            full backup weekly
            tablespace house keeping
            shutdown/ restart

Monhtly
            Full backup monthly
            • 3. Re: dba check list
              amardeep.sidhu
              An intersting view point about DBA checklist ;)

http://prodlife.wordpress.com/2007/09/13/do-you-have-a-checklist/

Sidhu
              • 4. Re: dba check list
                hi,

i was not able to see that link due to insufficient privs. Is there any specific documentation or checklist for data warehouse envrionment?

tnx
                • 5. Re: dba check list
                  NPD
                  What do you mean by No.3. What does it do?
                  • 6. Re: dba check list
                    I think he is try to say that there are no "Lock" in DB.
                    • 7. Re: dba check list
                      ajallen
                      Go to oracle magazine ( http://www.oracle.com/oramag/index.html ) and do a site search for Project Lockdown . There is a good set or articles about how to do this in a phased approach. Review it with your management and more senior DBAs to develop a plan of what is appropriate for your organization.
                      • 8. Re: dba check list
                        Here are some of the checks that I do each hour on my databases:

http://www.remote-dba.net/alerts.htm

Don Burleson
                        Oracle Press author
                        Author of “Oracle Tuning: The Definitive Reference”
                        http://www.dba-oracle.com/bp/s_oracle_tuning_book.htm

Edited by: burleson on Jan 15, 2009 1:12 PM
                        • 9. Re: dba check list
                          dbtoo
                          It refers to security, JR. Database, server, network, applications,etc.
                          • 10. Re: dba check list
                            ABD - DBA
                            Good lord Don, did you have to paste one of your books in here.
                            • 11. Re: dba check list
                              Hi Don,
                              Don't you think it's time to let EM Grid Control to take care all these alerts?
                              • 12. Re: dba check list
                                Hi, i think that the EM Grid Control is excellent for monitoring the database environments, also you can have one centralize point for manage the databases.

Regards.
                                • 13. Re: dba check list
                                  jgarry
                                  I wouldn't call it excellent, it is far too fragile to be totally dependent on (as of 10.2.0.4), in my experience. It does have some nice tools though.

It (actually, dbconsole agent) recently broke my production rman backups, if I hadn't had a cron script ready to go I would have been in a world of hurt. Production software should not just fall apart by itself!

Getting support to acknowledge intermittent problems like this is hopeless, I don't bother, and I suspect few others bother. The ones that do bother get stonewalled unless they can figure out why themselves, in order to replicate the issue, so the fixes rarely happen. I would guess support gets a lot of calls like this from monkees (as some method-r person calls EM button pushers), but how often will that lead to a fix? Support people just tell them to read the docs and reconfigure. Sometimes that works. But it's wrong.