7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2009 9:36 AM by dual RSS

Oracle XE installation failed

Hello,

First the setup procedure seems to work, but the control files (system.dbf, undo.dbf, sysaux.dbf, users.dbf) are not created. Here my config:

- Windows XP prof. SP2.
      - Logged in locally with admin rights and installing locally (no Domain).
      - tnsping xe returns OK (20 ms). So I assume my tnsnames.ora is OK.
      - "HOST=" and "PORT=" in tnsnames.ora and listener.ora seem to match.
      - sqlplus system/manager as sysdba returns ORA-12154.
      - sqlplus system/manager@xe as sysdba returns ORA-12514.
      - The Listener and the db service are both running.
      - cloneDBCreation.log says SP2-0640 (not logged in) after line 15 and later ORA-12154.
      - lsnrctl shows 2 services: CLRExtProc and PLSExtProc
      - css.log shows: ... [  OCROSD][1296]utgdv:1:could not open registry key SOFTWARE\Oracle\ocr os error...

I carefully read the installation guides. My system seems the fulfill all the prerequisites. The guide does not mention if any Windows Services must be running for the installation to work. Might it be possible, that one needed service is not running on my system?

Any idea why the setup didn't work?

Regards
      Olivier
        • 1. Re: Oracle XE installation failed
          Madrid
          ORA-12514 means your instance is not registered against the listener.

1. Check the status of your listener with the lsnrctl status command and verify the registered services. You may also use the lsnrctl services command too.

2. Check the status of your Oracle Instance, after the above error, I figure out this has either not started or it has not yet registered against the listener.

If you are able to connect to your instance then check the instance status with the select command:

sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL> SELECT STATUS FROM V$INSTANCE;

This should show OPEN. Oracle XE is configured to self-register against the listener when it is attached at the 1521 port. You may force instance registration too with the command:

ALTER SYSTEM REGISTER;

~ Madrid
          • 2. Re: Oracle XE installation failed
            Hello Madrid,

Thanks for your response!

The question is, why is my instance is not registered against the listener? This should happen automatically during the setup routine. If not, the install process cannot do its job, because it needs to run scripts to fulfill its task.

The windows service OracleServiceXE is runnning!

Here is the output of lsnrctl status:
            -------------------------------------------
            LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 29-OKT-2007 21:19:18

Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Anmeldung bei (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC_FOR_XE)))
            STATUS des LISTENER
            ------------------------
            Alias LISTENER
            Version TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
            Startdatum 29-OKT-2007 17:45:53
            Uptime 0 Tage 3 Std. 33 Min. 25 Sek.
            Trace-Ebene off
            Sicherheit ON: Local OS Authentication
            SNMP OFF
            Standard-Service XE
            Parameterdatei des Listener D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\admin\listener.ora
            Log-Datei des Listener D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\log\listener.log
            Zusammenfassung Listening-Endpunkte...
            (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC_FOR_XEipc)))
            (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=spock)(PORT=1521)))
            Services Übersicht...
            Dienst "CLRExtProc" hat 1 Instance(s).
            Instance "CLRExtProc", Status UNKNOWN, hat 1 Handler für diesen Dienst...
            Dienst "PLSExtProc" hat 1 Instance(s).
            Instance "PLSExtProc", Status UNKNOWN, hat 1 Handler für diesen Dienst...
            Der Befehl wurde erfolgreich ausgeführt.

-------------------------------------------
            • 3. Re: Oracle XE installation failed
              Madrid
              I can see here the listener is started, but I don't see the instance. Since you are using the default 1521 listener port oracle should look for this as soon as the oracle instance starts to have itself registered against this listener, if this is not happening it is not because of a lack of scripts to accomplish this task since this is a dba side troubleshooting task.

Please verify if the instance is up and running according to the directions I suggested on my previous post.

Make sure the Windows Oracle XE service is up and running and your windows user belongs to the ORA_DBA privileged dba group.

~ Madrid
              • 4. Re: Oracle XE installation failed
                If by "the instance" you mean OracleServiceXE, then yes it is running! I can't run SqlPlus and can't run the db-homepage. So I can't look up the privileges. But remember that this is the situation I found just after the installation process, which failed. And I don't think that I can fix this instllation. So what I am looking for is: How can I prepare (and possibly fix) my Windows XP to make the installation process run correctly next time.

I found 2 suspicious entries in the System Application log:
                -----------
                The description for Event ID ( 34 ) in Source ( Oracle.xe ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: ACTION : 'CONNECT' DATABASE USER: '/' PRIVILEGE : SYSDBA CLIENT USER: NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM CLIENT TERMINAL: SPOCK STATUS: 0 .
                -----------
                The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( IDriverT ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.
                -----------

Do they mean something to you?

Olivier
                • 5. Re: Oracle XE installation failed
                  Hi Olivier,

I am having exactly the same problem as yours. Did you find the resolution to your issue?

Thanks.
                  • 6. Re: Oracle XE installation failed
                    Greetings, in case to somebody it serves to him. I had the same problem and she solves it of the following way:

Uninstall oracle express edition and soon deactivates windows firewall. Disconnect the network cable because I am in a domain, to avoid system policies.

Restart the PC and soon setup again oracle express edition.

Once installed, it tries to connect from web broser and from sqlplus and everything works correctly. Later it connects the cable, restart and everything carry on working well.

sorry my english
                    • 7. Re: Oracle XE installation failed
                      dual
                      Hello,

thank you very much. After few hours of browsing and trying everything else this helped me.

Thanks again.

dual