9 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2010 1:53 PM by Hans Forbrich RSS

Error starting Database Control 11g (windows)

Hi,
      I have just downloaded and installed 11g for Windows on my WInXP laptop (2 G ram and lots of free disk space). The installation is OK and I am able to use SQLPlus to connect, but the Database Control does not start and terminates with an exception (see furhter down).

Thoughts anyone ?

This is from the emConfig.log....
      30.okt.2007 13:44:05 oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
      SEVERE: Error starting Database Control
      Refer to the log file at d:\oracle\product\11.1\cfgtoollogs\dbca\orcl\emConfig.log for more details.
      30.okt.2007 13:44:05 oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
      CONFIG: Stack Trace:
      oracle.sysman.emcp.exception.EMConfigException: Error starting Database Control
           at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMDBPostConfig.performConfiguration(EMDBPostConfig.java:869)
           at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMDBPostConfig.invoke(EMDBPostConfig.java:250)
           at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMDBPostConfig.invoke(EMDBPostConfig.java:213)
           at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig.perform(EMConfig.java:235)
           at oracle.sysman.assistants.util.em.EMConfiguration.run(EMConfiguration.java:460)
           at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
      30.okt.2007 13:44:05 oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig restoreOuiLoc
      CONFIG: Restoring oracle.installer.oui_loc to d:\oracle\product\11.1\db_1\oui
        • 1. Re: Error starting Database Control 11g (windows)
          PavelE.
          Hi
          Do you started service DBConsole ?
          • 2. Re: Error starting Database Control 11g (windows)
            I have tried to start the service manually with the use of "standard" MS tools without success. I have also tried to change the ports and restart the service by using the emca tool.... see below.

D:\oracle\product\11.1\db_1\BIN>emca -reconfig ports -DBCONTROL_HTTP_PORT 5501 -RMI_PORT 5502 -SYS_PWD xxxx -SID xxxx

STARTED EMCA at 30.okt.2007 14:25:47
            EM Configuration Assistant, Version 11.1.0.5.0 Production
            Copyright (c) 2003, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter the following information:

Do you wish to continue? [yes(Y)/no(N)]: y
            30.okt.2007 14:25:50 oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
            INFO: This operation is being logged at d:\oracle\product\11.1\cfgtoollogs\
            orcl\emca_2007_10_30_14_25_47.log.
            30.okt.2007 14:25:55 oracle.sysman.emcp.util.DBControlUtil stopOMS
            INFO: Stopping Database Control (this may take a while) ...
            30.okt.2007 14:26:23 oracle.sysman.emcp.util.DBControlUtil startOMS
            INFO: Starting Database Control (this may take a while) ...
            30.okt.2007 14:31:23 oracle.sysman.emcp.EMDBPostConfig performReconfigurati
            30.okt.2007 14:31:23 oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
            Refer to the log file at d:\oracle\product\11.1\cfgtoollogs\emca\orcl\emca_
            10_30_14_25_47.log for more details.
            Could not complete the configuration. Refer to the log file at d:\oracle\pr
            \11.1\cfgtoollogs\emca\orcl\emca_2007_10_30_14_25_47.log for more details.
            • 3. Re: Error starting Database Control 11g (windows)
              I have exactly the same situation and same errors. The only extra info is that I have another 10.2 database installed on the same machine. Seems to be related to the listener... I will be back with the solution if I found one.
              • 4. Re: Error starting Database Control 11g (windows)
                You are not alone

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=580453&tstart=0&start=15

Anyone here who has installed successfully 11g on Windows?
                • 5. Re: Error starting Database Control 11g (windows)
                  bulanri
                  Similar issues for me, with almost the same environment. Windows XP SP2, 2GB RAM, Dell D620 Laptop.

<RANT>My biggest gripes with recent versions of Oracle have been with enterprise manager. When it works, it works great, when it doesn't it can be impossible to debug. The issues always seem to be with connectivity and starting the services. Oracle, please simplify how this thing works (or connects) with the database. Also, please stick with basic configuation files e.g. text, reduce the number of places to look for EM issues, and avoid all the XML files for everything else.</RANT>.
                  • 6. Re: Error starting Database Control 11g (windows)
                    I agree with you, a tremendous amount of log,trc,nohup files is generated. Hard to find any useful information in so many different places. I found several error messages, do you see the same?
                    /*
                    1) emctl start dbconsole throws 'service specific error 2'. Net helpmsg 2 tells you, that means 'a file cannot be found'. I can nowhere find which file.

2) emdctl.trc shows messages like 'snmehl_connect: connect failed to (r52:3938):' and 'nmectla_agentctl: Error connecting to https://r52:3938/emd/main'

3) emdb.nohup shows 'starting emagent version 10.2.0.3.0
                    (pid=232): emagent now exiting abnormally'. Interesting to see version 10.2.0.3.0

4) emoms.log shows '2007-11-02 23:32:48,531 [OC4J Launcher] WARN jdbc.ConnectionCache _getConnection.352 - E/A-Exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection
                    java.sql.SQLException: E/A-Exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection'. This message is repeated several times.
                    */

I cannot find any useful hints, what's wrong and what to do. Firewall is switched off.

Werner
                    • 7. Re: Error starting Database Control 11g (windows)
                      The other suggestions might help you more. I had one further case of the same problem.

In my case, I'm running VMware Workstation on my Win XP laptop with dual 10g/11g homes. In some cases, starting DB Console returns "SEVERE: Error starting Database Control" in the emConfig.log. I can reproduce this problem with my NIC disconnected from any network, and VMware Ethernet adapters running.

I fixed it by modifying (hacking) my C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file as:

# comments and stuff...
                      127.0.0.1 localhost
                      192.168.42.1 saglap1 saglap.lab.dbata.com

Where 192.168.42.1 is the VMware Network Adapter VMnet8 address. Normally if I'm connected to an real network with my NIC, e.g. 75.249.92.143 from verizon or 192.168.0.42 on my home network, then ping saglap1 might show: "Pinging saglap1 \[75.249.92.143\] with 32 bytes of data:", or "Pinging saglap1 \[192.168.0.42\] with 32 bytes of data:". But, when my NIC was disconnected from any network I needed the hosts fix. When the NIC is disconnected, pinging saglap1 hits 192.168.42.1 (VMware) instead of 127.0.0.1 (localhost). If I shutdown the VMnet8, when my physical NIC is also disconnected, then ping saglap1 goes against 127.0.0.1 and DB Console starts fine.

Modifying the hosts file is an incomplete (probably poor) solution. But, using ipconfig, if the only ethernet adapter is VMnet8 (might vary in your case) because my NIC is disconnected, I can workaround the "Error starting Database Control" by hacking my hosts file. A better solution is to isolate the DB Console problem with my PC network and fix DB Console startup with a parameter setting or patch - if such exists.

A better solution might be found in your case. Good luck. mhthomas

PS: If you are really energetic you can trace the dbconsole startup scripts, and how networking is tested on Win XP, and if there is a code branch or technique to workaround this problem. I did it once, so long ago - I don't remember. ;)
                      • 8. Re: Error starting Database Control 11g (windows)
                        sape007
                        Sorry if I am going off the track of this thread (but the error message is same for my scenario).

I received SEVERE: Error starting Database Control on 10g release 2, RedHat 4. during database creation (with DBCA) at 95% of install.

After days of looking, I found that issue was due to corrupt GMT file on my server.
                        After fixing GMT file.

DB creation worked fine, without any error at 95%

Hope it helps someone.
                        • 9. Re: Error starting Database Control 11g (windows)
                          Hans Forbrich
                          Hi,
                          I have just downloaded and installed 11g for Windows on my WInXP laptop (2 G ram and lots of free disk space). The installation is OK and I am able to use SQLPlus to connect, but the Database Control does not start and terminates with an exception (see furhter down).

Thoughts anyone ?
                          Yup.

1) Make sure the computer uses a static IP address, or at least a network resolvable hostname.
                          - get the exact hostname from command line
                          2) Make sure a subdirectory exists under ORACLE_HOME that includes the SID and the current hostname. If not, emctl will not be able to find it's config files and fail
                          3) Run (emca -deconfig/emca -config) manually if anything fails or hostname changes.

The common thread is that many people use DHCP to get the host IPaddr and name. And it bites. Nearly every time.

There are other things that might cause this - multiple Javas installed and intercepting because of the PATH; bad classpath; manual intervention at the wrong time.