1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2012 12:59 PM by Nicolas.Gasparotto Go to original post
      • 15. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
        TimDaniell
        Can anyone let me know where I can get a 64-bit version of sqlplusw.exe (and also spwus.msb)?

I have a new PC with 64-bit Windows 7. All PC's at our office and home are either 32-bit XP or 64-bit Win7. 64-bit 10g client won't install on our XP machines or our win7 machines so I can't get hold of a copy of the sqlplusw.exe executable :(

Could some please zip these 2 files and email them to me? : tim (at) freshcomp.com.au.

Greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,
        Tim.
        • 16. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
          user8768362
          I think Oracle has just reacted to what seems to be the feedback from the most dba's and developers out there.sqlplus.exe on windows is a very good tool which also contains command history, which was always lacking in Unix and in sqlplusw.exe.

sqlplusw.exe also did not properly support operating system commands like "host <OS-command>" etc.

SQL developer is not comparable to sqlplus. SQLPLUS is the tool of choice when it comes to scripting sql-commands and using scripts. SQL developer is the tool of choice for testing and developing SQL PL/SQL.

But did I read Eclipse? As a java developer, jOra is an opensource plugin, very much worth trying out. By far the best tool for DB development from inside eclipse!
          • 17. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
            TimDaniell
            We have managed to extract the files from the 64-bit 10g client install jar files without needing to install on a valid PC.

Thanks anyway,
            Tim.
            • 18. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
              Try downloading and installing Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio also

Download Includes
                        Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio 11.2.0.1.2
                        Oracle Data Provider for .NET 4 11.2.0.1.2
                        Oracle Data Provider for .NET 2.0 11.2.0.1.2
                        Oracle Providers for ASP.NET 4 11.2.0.1.2
                        Oracle Providers for ASP.NET 2.0 11.2.0.1.2
                        Oracle Database Extensions for .NET 4 11.2.0.1.2 -- for upgrade only
                        Oracle Database Extensions for .NET 2.0 11.2.0.1.2 -- for upgrade only
                        Oracle Provider for OLE DB 11.2.0.1.0
                        Oracle Objects for OLE 11.2.0.1.0
                        Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server 11.2.0.1.0
                        Oracle ODBC Driver 11.2.0.1.0
                        Oracle SQLPlus 11.2.0.1.0*
                        Oracle Instant Client 11.2.0.1.0
              • 19. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
                user8696241
                The issue is that it is NOT part of 11g but of how we get it!
                • 20. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
                  Aman....
                  user8696241 wrote:
                  >
                  Well, you download the SQL Developer and start using it or use the pure CLI based sql*plus (from DOS or terminal prompt) .

Aman....
                  • 21. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
                    I'm proof that this thread is still helping people! I just installed Oracle 11.2.0.3 on Win7 Ultimate and dread SQL Developer. Now I have my old reliable friend back!
                    • 22. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
                      Hans Forbrich
                      user3657018 wrote:
                      I'm proof that this thread is still helping people! I just installed Oracle 11.2.0.3 on Win7 Ultimate and dread SQL Developer. Now I have my old reliable friend back!
                      Curious what sqlplusW does for you that was not better accomplished in pure sqlplus opened from a CMD box. (SQLPlus.exe IS installed automatically.)

The reason I ask, I have a desktop icon set up to open a DOS box and puts me into a working directory so I can run sqlplus.exe - which, for me has the benefits:

- I can configure the starting directory
                      - I can configure font and colours whatever way I want
                      - I don't have that silly pop-up login box, to which I *always" entered "/nolog"
                      - I have cursor scrolling that allows me to scroll up and rerun a previous command, which was not available in sqlplusW
                      - Since I call sqlplus in a .bat script, it basically behaves like sqlplusW by being 'in' the DB

So why do you like SQLPlusW better?
                      • 23. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
                        orafad
                        user3657018 wrote:
                        I'm proof that this thread is still helping people!
                        Throwing together two separate installations, obviously not supported, for no good reason. Sorry, but that's not very helpful.
                        I just installed Oracle 11.2.0.3 on Win7 Ultimate and dread SQL Developer. Now I have my old reliable friend back!
                        So why not

- use sqlplus.exe, which is included already, see Hans' reply above

- learn SQL Developer, you may find it worth it (but pick up the latest 3.1 version instead of the included one)

Maybe it's time to unmask that old "friend".

Edited by: orafad on Mar 7, 2012 12:01 AM
                        • 24. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
                          stuartu
                          ziggy wrote:
                          Thanks for this tip about sqlplusw.exe

I try to avoid sqldeveloper like the plague. Just because Oracle chooses it as the default client doesnt mean that its the best tool for the job. It is the worst product ever as it slows me down whenever i try to use it. Not only does it slow down my system but it also uses a lot of memory. Trying to run sqldeveloper with eclipse is just a nightmare.

I have seen several tips on how to improve the perfomance but believe me i have tried them all. For me i dont really think i need to spend a few minutes waiting for my system to respond back just so that i can see the results of a simple query. sqlplus.exe or sqlplusw.exe works really good for my requirements.

Maybe in the future they will improve it but for now its definately not for me.

--
                          D
                          Perhaps you have an issue with your environment. Are you being blocked by a firewall from your PC to your source control repository?...

I would persist in trying to find the issue here. Query (and post if necessary) your issue to the SQL Developer forum. Perhaps try TOAD as an alternative and see if that has the same issues.
                          • 25. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
                            Billy~Verreynne
                            Hans Forbrich wrote:

Curious what sqlplusW does for you that was not better accomplished in pure sqlplus opened from a CMD box. (SQLPlus.exe IS installed automatically.) ... snipped...
                            There Hans is going off and talking sense again... as if that will ever make any difference in the warped minds of the many...

Okay, okay.. I will get my early morning mug of coffee and shuttup until it kicks in.
                            • 26. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
                              SomeoneElse
                              Time to lock this thread?
                              • 27. Re: SQLPLUSW.exe Not supplied with 11g
                                Nicolas.Gasparotto
                                SomeoneElse wrote:
                                Time to lock this thread?
                                Right.

Nicolas.
                                1 2 Previous Next