3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2009 7:14 PM by 687313 RSS

Partitioning possibilities for ILM Assistant

Hi,

I'm referring to the following ILM document...

http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/ilm/pdf/ILM_for_Business_11g.pdf

On page 6, under the heading "Implementing ILM in 4 easy steps: Step 1 - Define the Data classes", it states,
      "The most common type of classification is by age or date, but other types are possible, such as by product or privacy, or a hybrid classification could be used such as by privacy and age."

On page 12, under the heading "Oracle ILM Assistant", it states,
      "...only tables partitioned on a date are eligible...."

This is rather confusing, because one says that different types of partitioning are possible and the other says that only range partitioning is possible.

I am assuming that the first one (eventhough it is under the heading "Implementing ILM...", which I assume means with ILM Assistant) is not actually referring to partitioning possibilities in ILM Assistant but actually only referring to partitioning possibilities in Oracle Database 11g. So basically, it means that different types of partitioning are possible in 11g but for a table to be eligible for ILM Assistant, it can only be range partitioned. Is this assumption right?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Partitioning possibilities for ILM Assistant
          Oracle ILM refers to all the capabilities in the database which can be used to build an ILM solution.

The Oracle ILM Assistant is a GUI tool which helps you build an ILM solution but it only supports some of the capabilities that can be used within Oracle ILM

So your assumption is correct that in order to use the ILM Assistant in 9i or 10g the table must be using range partitioned.

You can still build an ILM solution using say List partitioning, you just can't use the ILM Assistant.

Hope this clarifies the situation

Lilian
          • 2. Re: Partitioning possibilities for ILM Assistant
            Hi,

How would the ILM solution using list partitioning be built and managed, if ILM Assistant cannot be used?

Since only range partitioning is possible, doesn't this make ILM Assistant limited in possibilities?

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Partitioning possibilities for ILM Assistant
              Hi, i believe the List partitioning can be used for example in the case of

'phase-out' products, with Product ID as the partitioning key and depends on how it is grouped.

Anyway, any further study on the ILM working with 11g on this aspect, in terms of

the restriction (parititioning-options) that ILM can work with??

Edited by: user1242355 on Feb 24, 2009 5:11 PM

Edited by: user1242355 on Feb 24, 2009 5:13 PM