1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2007 9:35 AM by user574306 RSS

How to install OBIEE on Linux

user574306
      Can any one tell, the step by step process to install OBIEE on Linux?

Regards
        • 1. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
          odaesu
          Hi,
          you can get all the info the installation and configuration guide.

Here´s the link:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E10415_01/doc/bi.1013/b31765.pdf

Regards
          • 2. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
            user574306
            Thank you very much !! I have done the basis installation of OBIEE on linux ES.
            Oracle 10g Database (10.2.0.3) is also installed on the same box along with JDK 1.5.0

Could you please advise how this can be integrated with Oracle 10g? This would be a great help.

Regards
            Tej
            • 3. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
              odaesu
              Hi,
              just create a connection pool pointing to your 10g database, and you will be able to import the tables.

Regards.
              • 4. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
                user574306
                Thanks ChinoTauro for your response. I am struggling to understand the chapters 7-10 (bi.1013\b31765.pdf- Oracle® Business Intelligence
                Infrastructure Installation and Configuration Guide). If you don't mind could you please describe the exact steps to be followed for the integration of OBIEE with Oracle Database 10g on Linux ES as I understand that we need to configure all the components ( BI Server, Data source, Presentation Services, Scheduler) after installation ? I have just done the basic installation.

If you have some screen shots that you can send would be a great help.

Regards
                • 5. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
                  Remember, when you are on linux, you cannot open and edit the repository from within linux since the Administration tool is available only for windows. So, go to a windows machine, install the administration tool. Create a ODBC connection(BI Server) to the repository and open the repository in online mode using the admin tool. Then start making the changes to the connection pool. If you are not sure of the ports, copy the repository from the linux machine to the windows machine and make the changes to the repository there in offline mode. And then ship it back to the Linux machine. Also, you need to atleast have a database client installed on the linux box.

Thanks,
                  Venkat
                  http://oraclebizint.wordpress.com
                  • 6. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
                    user574306
                    Thanks Venkat, but If this is the case then why documentation says (b31765.pdf page 130 - Configuring the Data Sources for Oracle Business Intelligence) says

To configure a native database as a data source
                    1 Log on as a separate telnet session.
                    2 Go to the OracleBI_HOME/setup directory.
                    3 Using vi or another text editor, open the odbc.ini file.
                    Add the following section to odbc.ini:
                    [Name of the DSN]
                    Driver=<DB ODBC driver Path>/drivers/tdata.so
                    Description=<machine running DB + version>
                    DBCName=<DB Server IP Address>
                    LastUser=
                    Username=
                    Password=
                    Database=
                    DefaultDatabase=<name of target database or user>

Regards
                    • 7. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
                      That is for configuring ODBC. To connect to Oracle you need to use OCI (recommended). You need to have a minimum of Oracle Client installed on the same machine as BI Server.

Thanks,
                      Venkat
                      • 8. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
                        user574306
                        Hi Venkat, Sorry to bother you again

What i have done so far is

1) installed 10g (10.2.0.3) database on the Linux ES 4 machine
                        2) installed JDK version as per requirement
                        3) installed the OBIEE (10.1.3.3.1) on the same machine with basic option

I understand that No Oracle Client software is required as database is running on the same box

Could you please guide what steps i should follow to configure OBIEE?
                        This would be a great help.

Regards
                        • 9. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
                          There will be multiple sh files under {OracleBI}/Server/Setup. Open user.sh and set the following environment variables

ORACLE_HOME
                          TNS_ADMIN
                          LD_LIBRARY_PATH

These variables will let BI EE know about the Oracle DB libraries. Then copy the repository which would be under {OracleBI}/server/repository to a windows machine and follow the steps as said above i.e. Open the repository using admin tool and design your Physical, BM and Presentation layers. Remember the tnsnames entry that you give in the repository should match with what you have in the Oracle client. Then ship the repository back to the linux machine.

Thanks,
                          Venkat
                          • 10. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
                            user574306
                            Thanks Venkat - I will make these changes and will get back to you in case of any issues.
                            Is this is mentioned in the b31765.pdf ? if yes any idea where it is? Also do i need to install the windows version of admin tool
                            is this comes along with OBIEE software?

Many thanks for your help Again

Regards
                            • 11. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
                              user574306
                              Hi,

I have configured the OCI using the windows machine ( basically the paint.rpd file)
                              and uploaded on linux machine on specified location.

Now what i can't understand that

1) Is OCI is only the way to connect to Oracle Database on Linux?
                              2) IF yes then Why documentation then talks about ODBC? if it is manadatory then what should be the values of these variables

Driver=<DB ODBC driver Path>/drivers/tdata.so
                              Description=<machine running DB + version>
                              DBCName=<DB Server IP Address>
                              LastUser=
                              Username=
                              Password=
                              Database=
                              DefaultDatabase=<name of target database or user>

I can't find tdata.so in OBIEE installation directory.
                              What should be the values of these parameters including username ?
                              Do I need to create user in Oracle ?

3) However I can login to dashboard using Administrator account
                              http://localhost:9704/analytics/saw.dll?Dashboard

But once I log on -- I can see lot of error messages pertaining to Odbc driver

Any help will be highly apperciated
                              • 12. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
                                No you can use ODBC. But still OCI is recommended since that is the native Oracle Driver. ODBC is also possible in Linux. But if you notice for Oracle ODBC driver to work you need to have atleast Oracle Client. Since either of them need the Oracle Client you would be better off using OCI. If you are having default paint dashboard then you would get the error messages since you need to specify the directory for the XML files within the repository. In windows this would work by default but for linux you need to open up the repository and specify the directory for the XML files(atleast for an App server installation).

Thanks,
                                Venkat
                                • 13. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
                                  user574306
                                  Thanks Venkat. Where are these XML files within the repository? or do you mean these ones?

ORACLE_HOME/opmn/conf/opmn.xml
                                  ORACLE_HOME/Apache/Apache/conf/httpd.conf
                                  ORACLE_HOME/j2ee/home/config/server.xml

If yes, I need not to change them becuase i have done basic install which means only OC4J

Once I logged into Dashboard, the error message i see is under Regional Analysis is

Odbc driver returned an error(SQLExecDirectW)

Error Code OPR4oNWY:U91M8TAC:OI2DL65P
                                  Could not connect to Oracle Database HY000

SQL issued: Select Markets ................From Paint.exe

The databse I have installed is ORCL. is there is a way i can send you the screen shots of changes i made in paint.rpd file?

I have also created user- obiee in database and same has been mentioned in OCI configuration

Regards
                                  • 14. Re: How to install OBIEE on Linux
                                    user574306
                                    Thanks Venkat. OCI issue resolved.

Now next is - configuring Oracle Business Intelligence Scheduler. and the documentation says -GO TO WINDOWS MACHINE.

Is is something which we can only do it on windows machine? Can't it be done on Linux ??I have no idea about this. Can you put some light on this please?

Thanks
                                    1 2 Previous Next