2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2008 11:35 AM by 608392 RSS

[SOLVED] Error instantiating application

Hi
      I am trying to follow the 'How to Create a Simple ASK Application with Oracle JDeveloper 10.1.3' example (available at: http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/101/howtos/ask/index.html ) but when I try to run the project (step: 'Test the JSF JSP File -1'), I get the following error:

[waiting for the server to complete its initialization...]
      07/12/03 16:22:38 [SEVERE]: Error instantiating application at file:/F:/Downloaded Software/Oracle/OSD/jdevstudiobase10133/jdev/system/oracle.j2ee.10.1.3.41.57/embedded-oc4j/applications/datatags.ear: Unable to get ApplicationConfig for datatags : Error creating deployment directory: IO Error: The system cannot find the path specified
      07/12/03 16:22:38 [SEVERE]: Error instantiating application at file:/F:/Downloaded Software/Oracle/OSD/jdevstudiobase10133/jdev/system/oracle.j2ee.10.1.3.41.57/embedded-oc4j/applications/ITS.ear: Unable to get ApplicationConfig for ITS : Error creating deployment directory: IO Error: The system cannot find the path specified
      07/12/03 16:22:39 [SEVERE]: cannot update a configuration file because instantiating application is failed. please correct the instantiating problem and restart oc4j.
      07/12/03 16:22:39 Error initializing server: At least one valid code-source or import-shared-library element is required for shared-library "global.libraries" in /F:/jdevstudiobase10133/jdev/system/oracle.j2ee.10.1.3.41.57/embedded-oc4j/config/server.xml.
      07/12/03 16:22:39 Fatal error: server exiting
      Process exited with exit code 1.

Can any one please tell me why i get this error or how to resolve it.

JDeveloper Details:
      Studio Edition Version: 10.1.3.3.0.4157

Thank You.
        • 1. Re: Error instantiating application
          Hi
          in case any one is interested, i solved this error by reinstalling my Java SDK 1.5. It was a mistake i had made while installing the software (Java and JDev). I had Java installed in one OS(Operating System) and JDev in another OS (I got 2 OSs running in the same computer).
          • 2. Re: [SOLVED] Error instantiating application
            I experienced the exact same error and I was able to resolve as follows.

I initially installed JDeveloper Studio Edition Version: 10.1.3.3.0.4157 in a directory called c:\jdev.

Then I developed one application and had no issues in running the app using the embedded OC4J server.

Earlier this week, I wanted to test the JDeveloper 11g TP3. I downloaded the newer version and installed in a directory called c:\jdev11. I also renamed my old directory as c:\jdev10 so that there is no confusion.

Basically, at this time, I had two JDeveloper versions on my system.

JDeveloper 10g installed in c:\jdev10
            JDeveloper 11g TP3 installed in c:\jdev11

After making these changes, I went back to my JDeveloper 10g version, and when I tried to run my application through the embedded OC4J container, I started getting the error described earlier in this post.

In looking through, it appears the JDeveloper Home (the directory where you installed the JDeveloper) is hardcoded in the following file:

{JDEVELOPER_HOME}\jdev\system\oracle.j2ee.10.1.3.41.57\embedded-oc4j\config\server.xml.

I reverted back to original name for the directory (from C:\jdev10 to C:\jdev), and it fixed the issue.

I recommend the JDeveloper team to use a environment variable to resolve the path, rather than hardcoding in the server.xml.

Best regards,

John