7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2009 2:54 AM by 631704 RSS

Error while fetching data from OWB Client using External Table.

Dear All,

I am using Oracle Warehouse Builder 11g & Oracle 10gR2 as repository database on Windows 2000 Server.

I facing some issue in fetching data from a Flat File using external table from OWB Client.
      I have perform all the steps without any error but when I try to view the data, I got the following error.
      ======================================
      RA-29913: error in executing ODCIEXTTABLEOPEN callout
      ORA-29400: data cartridge error
      KUP-04040: file expense_categories.csv in SOURCE_LOCATION not found
      ORA-06512: at "SYS.ORACLE_LOADER", line 19

java.sql.SQLException: ORA-29913: error in executing ODCIEXTTABLEOPEN callout
      ORA-29400: data cartridge error
      KUP-04040: file expense_categories.csv in SOURCE_LOCATION not found
      ORA-06512: at "SYS.ORACLE_LOADER", line 19

at oracle.jdbc.driver.SQLStateMapping.newSQLException(SQLStateMapping.java:70)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.newSQLException(DatabaseError.java:110)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:171)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:455)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:413)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.receive(T4C8Oall.java:1030)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.doOall8(T4CStatement.java:183)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.executeForDescribe(T4CStatement.java:774)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.executeMaybeDescribe(T4CStatement.java:849)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:1186)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeQuery(OracleStatement.java:1377)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatementWrapper.executeQuery(OracleStatementWrapper.java:386)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.QueryResult.<init>(QueryResult.java:18)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.dataviewer.relational.OracleQueryResult.<init>(OracleDVTableModel.java:48)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.dataviewer.relational.OracleDVTableModel.doFetch(OracleDVTableModel.java:20)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.dataviewer.RDVTableModel.fetch(RDVTableModel.java:46)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.dataviewer.BaseDataViewerPanel$1.actionPerformed(BaseDataViewerPanel.java:218)
           at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1849)
           at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2169)
           at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
           at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
           at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:302)
           at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:282)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.dataviewer.BaseDataViewerPanel.executeQuery(BaseDataViewerPanel.java:493)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.dataviewer.BaseDataViewerEditor.init(BaseDataViewerEditor.java:116)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.dataviewer.BaseDataViewerEditor.<init>(BaseDataViewerEditor.java:58)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.dataviewer.relational.DataViewerEditor.<init>(DataViewerEditor.java:16)
           at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
           at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
           at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
           at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:494)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.IdeUtils._tryLaunchEditorByClass(IdeUtils.java:1412)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.IdeUtils._doLaunchEditor(IdeUtils.java:1349)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.IdeUtils._doLaunchEditor(IdeUtils.java:1367)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.IdeUtils.showDataViewer(IdeUtils.java:869)
           at oracle.wh.ui.owbcommon.IdeUtils.showDataViewer(IdeUtils.java:856)
           at oracle.wh.ui.console.commands.DataViewerCmd.performAction(DataViewerCmd.java:19)
           at oracle.wh.ui.console.commands.TreeMenuHandler$1.run(TreeMenuHandler.java:188)
           at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
           at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
           at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
           at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
           at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
           at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
           at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
      ===========================

In the error it is showing that file expense_categories.csv in SOURCE_LOCATION not found but I am 100% sure that file is very much there.

Is anybody face the same issue?

Do we need to configure something before loading data from a flat file from OWB Client?

Any help would higly appreciable.

Regards,

Manmohan Sharma
        • 1. Re: Error while fetching data from OWB Client using External Table.
          Hi,

but the owb really dont't find them.

Cause 1: the oracle user on the database server has no read privileges on the path and the file

Cause 2: the SOURCE_LOCATION points to a path which doesn't exists on the database server. You cannot read from a remote server.

Regards,
          Detlef
          • 2. Re: Error while fetching data from OWB Client using External Table.
            Hello Detlef,

Thanks for you response.

I have given read,write privileage on SOURCE_LOCATION directory.

Is there any other configuration Which I am missing ?

If I can not read from remote server then How can I load data from a flat file from OWB Client ?

Is there any other way to do the same ?

Regards,

Manmohan
            • 3. Re: Error while fetching data from OWB Client using External Table.
              Hi,

if you want to load data from a remote server you must transport it to the database server (per ftp, ssh, ...). We use a workflow for this.

To handle flat files you have only two choices:
              1.) Put all the files on the database server and sample (using the design center on the server) and load them from there.
              2.) Create a local source-location (source_loc_local) which points to a directory on the client and sample the flat files with it, then create a remote location (source_loc_remote) which points to a directory on the database server, switch the location to the remote one and load the files from the database server then.

Regards,
              Detlef
              • 4. Re: Error while fetching data from OWB Client using External Table.
                Hello Detlef,

I am able to load data from Server. But facing issue with the client. First choice I am already using.

Could you please explain the second choice? Do I need to copy all files at the remote location?

Regards,

Manmohan
                • 5. Re: Error while fetching data from OWB Client using External Table.
                  Hi Manmohan,

Whatever the files, we would like to process using OWB, the files must and should available on the server where the DB and OWB is installed.

As Detlef suggested, create a File location which points to the local path on your machine (where you use OWB client for sampling).

Once the sampling is done, you can create external table pointing to sampled flat file.

Now place files in OWB server and then update the location which is right now pointing to the location on your machine (where OWB client is installed.)

Update this location details, specify the login credentials and location where you placed the flat files.

Now you try.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
                  Gowtham Sen.
                  • 6. Re: Error while fetching data from OWB Client using External Table.
                    Hi Detlef / Gowtham,

Now I am able to fetch data from flat files from OWB Server as well as OWB Client.

One way I have achieved as suggested by you

1) Creating location on the OWB Client
                    2) Samples the files at client
                    3) Created & Configured external table
                    4) Copy all flat files on OWB Server
                    5) Updated the location which I created at the client.

Other way

1) Creating location on the OWB Client
                    2) Samples the files at client
                    3) Created & Configured external table
                    4) Copied flat files on the sever in same drive & directory . like if my all flat files are on C:\data at OWB Client then I copied flat file C:\data on the OWB Server. But this is feasible for Non-Windows.

Hence my problem solved.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Manmohan
                    • 7. Re: Error while fetching data from OWB Client using External Table.
                      Hi ,

When I do flat file loading , its giving file not found , can not open the file

I did as follows

Can you give step by step in flat file loading strategy ...so that i can do ..its very urgent