I installed OCS 10.1.2.4.1 (including WAC) and encountered strange symptom during tests.
Generally, if there are invalid mail addresses among recipients, WAC shows the alert for them when clicking the send button on the composer window.
However, when I try to send a mail to the invalid recipient 'aaa@domain_name' in WAC, it doesn't show an error and seems to work well (but a mail is not sent).
There are no user who has a mail address like that. It occurs only in the case that the user name is 'aaa'.
I can see this recipient 'aaa' in the es_recipient table in the database.
And how I can deal with this problem?
Sorry for late reply.
** are you using SMTP or db-direct mail delivery?
I'm using SMTP basically provided by OCS.
** do you see the same issue when sending e-mail from a desktop client (thunderbird/outlook) using SMTP?
I tested using thunderbird and it seems to work in the same way.
And a few weeks ago, I didn't see any notification about mails that contains wrong addresses when testing. But these days, mail server sends notifications to me as follows.
Original message (id 121107) received at Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:42:30 +0900
Message was not delivered to the following addresses:
Final-Recipient: rfc822; aaa@domain_name
Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:59:45 +0900
Queue timeout exceeded after several attempts due to directory errors
But I don't know if it works well.. because WAC still shows no error message for 'aaa@domain_name'. This address has an internal domain which is set to the server. In case of other wrong addresses, it shows error alert message box.
Thanks in advance.
The reason I asked about using OJMA or SMTP is I'm not sure how OJMA handles erroneous email addresses in the locally deliverable domains - We've only used SMTP-based mail delivery.
We had was appeared to be a similar issue. SMTP Inbound processes were accepting all email, even local bound email, without verifying the local address. Later the smtp process would dump a failure back to the sender saying it could not deliver the mail. We received quite a bit of junk mail because of this that bogged down our mail queues.
To help with this we updated the SMTP Inbound processes to only except locally deliverable email for accounts that were valid. If mail were sent to the local address not-a-user@domain_name and not-a-user was not a user the SMTP process would not accept the address and return an error to the process attempting to send the email.
This change was made by setting 'Submit Only' to FALSE in the default configuration for SMTP Inbound processes.