This content has been marked as final. Show 10 replies
As the noted science fiction author Robert Heinlein (dating myself somewhat, am I not) said in one of his many books, "TANSTAAFL. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." Oracle requires you to have a support agreement in order to download patches, updates, etc. In order to get a support agreement, you have to pay.
I'm trying to build a database with GIS data and they said to install the patch. Does anyone know of any data related additions/changes related to the patch? Can a 10.2.0.1 XE run with the same data from 10.2.0.3?
They also said I needed Oracle Workspace Manager. I haven't looked for that yet, but my guess is that that isn't free as well.
1) Express Edition comes with Locator (subset of Spatial)
2) Express Edition can not be legally patched
3) Between 10.2.0.1 and 10.2.0.2, there is no difference in the SDO_GEOMETRY data type, but there are significant differences in the supporting 'engine'
4) Workspace Manager is NOT available in Express Edition.
5) If you want to have a patched Spatial database you need to purchase either Enterprise Edition or Personal Edition AND purchase support
1) Just for sanity, I'm assuming that you posted a Metalink Note ID, not a bug. Metalink Note 334968.1 refers to bug 3807408.
2) The patches referenced in that bug would appear to relate to the Oracle client. Assuming proper licenses, I would expect that you could patch the Oracle clients accessing the XE database and resolve the issue.
3) The Metalink note references an alternate workaround of installing Visual Studio in a non-default location that doesn't include parenthesis.
thanks for the reply.
1) You're right, I meant Bug #3807408.
2) I didn't try until now - because I wasn't sure. I had to download 700MB Patch Set 3 (10.2.0.4) and perhaps it won't work.
3) I tried - I wasted hours in deinstalling and reinstalling VS2008 Pro in another non-default location -- but it does not work on my Vista Ultimate x64 development platform.
I finally removed XE and installed Personal Edition for Development.
Edited by: marantz on Sep 26, 2008 11:25 AM