This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 63 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2008 7:52 AM by 314771 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: DB Block Size
    108476 Journeyer
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi Tiger,
    Any suggestions?
    Yes! First, IGNORE all of the anonymous people that are giving you BAD advice.

For example, this Sybrand Bakker likes to spew opinionated, offensive and incorrect junk. He (or she) takes great care to hide their true identity, and it's clear that he knows very little about Oracle database administration.

There is a very good reason that some people here choose to be anonymous. Ever heard of "internet therapy"? There are loads of people with psychological dosorders who come to forums like this, solely for mental health therapy:

http://webpages.charter.net/stormking/Chapter5/therapy.html

Anyway, the world-record benchmarks use multiple blocksizes, and there is proof that they can help.

At first, beginners denounced multiple block sizes because they were invented to support transportable tablespaces. Fortunately, Oracle has codified the benefits of multiple blocksizes, and the Oracle 11g Performance Tuning Guide notes that multiple blocksizes are indeed beneficial in large databases to eliminate superfluous I/O and isolate critical objects into a separate data buffer cache,

This, direct from the official 11g documentation:

“With segments that have atypical access patterns, store blocks from those segments in two different buffer pools: the KEEP pool and the RECYCLE pool.

A segment's access pattern may be atypical if it is constantly accessed (that is, hot) or infrequently accessed (for example, a large segment accessed by a batch job only once a day).

Multiple buffer pools let you address these differences. You can use a KEEP buffer pool to maintain frequently accessed segments in the buffer cache, and a RECYCLE buffer pool to prevent objects from consuming unnecessary space in the cache. . .

By allocating objects to appropriate buffer pools, you can:

Reduce or eliminate I/Os
    Isolate or limit an object to a separate cache"

http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_multiple_blocksizes.htm

Also, take your STATSPACK report and paste it into http://www.statspackanalyzer.com

Message was edited by:
    burleson
  • 16. Re: DB Block Size
    108476 Journeyer
    Absolute madness.....
    For inept and reckless people who don't know what they are doing, I completely agree.

I also note that you are anonymous, no credentials, no evidence that you have any experience whatsoever. Hopefully, people see this and nobody listens to you, as this is another dangerous myth that you are spreading.
    With just a single parameter you may end up in awful lo [sic]tof [sic] problems....
    Or, vastly improved performance, if you know what you are doing:

http://www.rampant-books.com/book_2005_1_silver_bullet.htm

But I have no doubt that it seems like "madness" to you, but it's a tried and true technique that every working DBA uses.

Also note that holistic tuning is incorporated into 11g, allowing you to test parameter changes. It's ain't madness, it's smart:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle11g/oracle_11g_sql_performance_advisor.htm

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_11g_automated_sql_tuning.htm

They need to make a function in OTN to stop this flood of mis-information from anonymous people. Maran Viswarayar, I don't think that you have ANY experience with this, and you have NO BUSINESS advising people.

If you were truly an experienced DBA, you would not be hiding your training, experience and credentials. . . . .

Message was edited by:
    burleson
  • 17. Re: DB Block Size
    618979 Newbie
    Yes! First, IGNORE all of the anonymous people that
    are giving you BAD advice.

For example, this Sybrand Bakker likes to spew> opinionated and incorrect junk. He (or she) takes
    great care to[b] hide their[b] true identity, and it's
    clear that he knows very little about Oracle database
    administration.
    There is a very good reason that some people here> choose to be anonymous. Ever heard of "internet
    therapy"? There are loads of people with> psychological dosorders who come to forums for mental> health therapy:

http://webpages.charter.net/stormking/Chapter5/therapy
    .html

Now let us read the terms of use section 3:

3. Use of Forums and Public Communication

You agree not to upload, email, post, publish, distribute or otherwise transmit through a Forum any Content that: (a) is false or misleading; (b) is defamatory; (c) is harassing or invades another's privacy, or promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual; (d) is obscene; (e) infringes another's rights, including but not limited to intellectual property rights; (f) constitutes unsolicited bulk e-mail, "junk mail," "spam" or chain letters; or (g) violates any applicable laws or regulations.

You are in contempt. You have dishonored and failed to adhere to the terms. Shame on You!
  • 18. Re: DB Block Size
    chris_c Journeyer
    The keep an recycle pools have nothing to do with multiple block sizes, both the keep and recycle pool use the standard database block size, their function is to help manage which tables/objects are kept in the cache knowing which objects should be in which pool is not as simple as small/large but requires an understanding of the application and the access patterns of the objects as well.

from the 11g performance tuning guide.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28274.pdf

page 192:

Note: The use of multiple block sizes in a single database instance
    is not encouraged because of manageability issues.

You may get some advantages by changing your blocksize or including multiple blocksizes but it will be pretty minimal and come at the cost of downtime/increased dba time spent managing things.

the first place to look is at what the application is doing and why you waits are high in specific areas and either fixing the application or managing the behaviour as best you can. changing block sizes is not going to cure a bad aplpication.

Chris
  • 19. Re: DB Block Size
    618979 Newbie
    You seem to have repeated the same thing again. You are trying to denormalize this thread. You have no respect for other members of the forum as you try to attack them personally. Now You are being the source of embarrassment for the forums.
    Shame on You!

Message was edited by:
    user615976
  • 20. Re: DB Block Size
    108476 Journeyer
    Shame on You!
    If you want to believe Sybrand instead of the official Oracle documentation, feel free, but don't say that you were not warned!!
    is harassing or invades another's privacy, or promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual;
    I have a right to call-out myths.

Explain why Sybrand gets away with this HORRIBLE behavior? He should have been banned:

http://www.lifeaftercoffee.com/2007/11/01/you-find-it-in-the-strangest-places/
  • 21. Re: DB Block Size
    108476 Journeyer
    You have no respect for other members
    I have no respect for anonymous people who spew myths, and I'm proud of it.
    You have no respect for other members of the forum as you try to attack them personally.
    It's not possible to attack an anonymous person "personally".
    You are trying to denormalize this thread.
    Denormalization improves performance . . . .
  • 22. Re: DB Block Size
    618979 Newbie
    If you want to beleive Sybrand, feel free, but don't say that you were not warned.
    Now Who said I am want to Believe Sybrand. Technically I do not doubt your knowledge. I have Enjoyed your Books. They Have really Helped me.
    Ah, yes. Explain why Sybrand gets away with this HORRIBLE behavior? He should have been banned:

And how is that related?
  • 23. Re: DB Block Size
    108476 Journeyer
    Hi Chris,
    You may get some advantages by changing your blocksize or including multiple blocksizes but it will be pretty minimal
    Another myth. Got any evidence?

It depends (as everything does!), but I've seen HUGE improvements under certain circumstances, especially like the OP describes, systems with excessive block writes. All else being equal, bigger blocks = less I/O overhead.

If that were true, why do the TPC world record performance benchmarks use multiple blocksizes?

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_tpc_h_data_warehouse_benchmark.htm
  • 24. Re: DB Block Size
    153119 Pro
    Actually, Burleson, it is just the opposite.

YOU flamed Tom Kyte on his own site.
    YOU flamed Jonathan Lewis, you even accused him of 'not publishing his credentials' (You always follow the same tactics, don't you? Always, when you stand corrected (and oh you stand corrected all the time), you start attacking someone's credibility)
    You flamed Richard Foote, because he didn't agree with your 'frequent index rebuilding' policies.
    You misused Jonathan Lewis articles on dba-oracle.com for your own purposes.

Also, you are spamming this forum over and over again, with 'contributions' from your own site. Your own site recommends on every page to buy your own books, or books by your publishing house Rampant Press.

I don't know why you get away with your HORRIBLE behavior. As far as I am concerned you should have been BANNED from this forum a long time ago.
    The sole reason you are here is for MARKETING PURPOSES.

If you want't believe 'Redneck' Don, feel free, but please notice he has been demonstrated to be wrong quite often.

--
    Sybrand Bakker
    Senior Oracle DBA
  • 25. Re: DB Block Size
    108476 Journeyer
    And how is that related?
    Because you posted it:

"Use of Forums and Public Communication - You agree not to upload, email, post, publish, distribute or otherwise transmit through a Forum any Content that: . . . promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual;"
  • 26. Re: DB Block Size
    153119 Pro
    Burleson,

Do you actually know what the TPC benchmarks are?
    Are you aware those benchmarks are completely unrepresentative for production situations?
    Why don't you stop spreading your misinformation?
    There are more than enough newbies here, who can't distinguish myth from truth.
    Guess what, even a self-proclaimed 'guru' like you can't!

--
    Sybrand Bakker
    Senior Oracle DBA
  • 27. Re: DB Block Size
    153119 Pro
    Burleson

STOP IT
    I'm not an anynomous person.
    Want to be sued?
    Get mental treatment. You need it. BADLY.

--
    Sybrand Bakker
    Senior Oracle DBA
  • 28. Re: DB Block Size
    618979 Newbie
    In Forums? You seem to mislead people? If I can Count right I find 10000 mistakes in Your books. How I got to know? I find tHose mistAkes on tom kyle (asktom.oracle.com) to start with? I wonder how many peoplE will be make confuse, offering them incorrect SOultions!
  • 29. Re: DB Block Size
    617226 Newbie
    sybrandb you are a very rude person. Why do you continue to insult people and get away with it? It is you who should be banned from these forums as all you do is put people down and insult them.
    People normally come to these kind of forums for help and to learn from others, all you seem to do is get peoples backs up, Why? Do you get some kind of kick out of it?