4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2008 12:17 PM by 579492 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

how to influence the rowheight in excel output

remc0
      Hello all,

I am using the BI publisher desktop so I use RTF to build my template.
      the desired output is excel.

I have in other templates some tables where cells automatically adjust to the size of the cell. But didn't know how I did this (I thought this was normal)
      now I want to do this again in a new template and I don't have this functionallity anymore and the cell is just as big as I made it initially...

Can anyone help me out on this?
        • 1. Re: how to influence the rowheight in excel output
          Any Update on this Remc0

were you able to do this!
          • 2. Re: how to influence the rowheight in excel output
            remc0
            Nope unfortunately not...
            I gave up, caus if you have the output in excel you can easily do it your self. But if someone has the answer...
            • 3. Re: how to influence the rowheight in excel output
              gareth.roberts
              Hi,

Standard RTF table properties for autosizing and fixing table column/row/cell width/height should apply. At the time of RTF creation you don't necessarily have data representative of the size of the data you're going to get when you run the report. And using autosize to fix the width at design time will be impacted by the presence both your form fields and lack of data. So you probably do want autosized columns especially for Excel/HTML where output is not "pagesize" restricted.

Anyway, I digress, I thought I'd try to get BI Publisher (5.6.3) to put in an "auto" width or column-width for specific columns:
              - tried using Word autosize - didn't work
              - tried using xsl attributes (column-width) but BI Publisher seemed to ignore it.

Then strangely enough autosize worked in one of my test cases!
              So here are the steps I used to get autosize with Excel consistently working:
              If you are creating a new table:
              1a. Table, Insert, Table, choose your number of columns/rows and choose the Autofit to Contents option (or the Fixed Column Width: Auto) option
              Or if you want to autosize an existing table
              1b. Select your table and go to Table, Table Properties, Cell tab and uncheck the "Preferred Width" checkbox - and in Row tab uncheck specify height
              2. After the table you want appearing on your output insert another "dummy" autosize table (as per 1a), but with just 1 row, 1 column and make remove the border so it doesn't appear.

See if it works!

PS. would be excellent if Tim sees this, me thinks might be a gremlin in the code ;-)

Regards,
              Gareth

Blog: http://garethroberts.blogspot.com/
              • 4. Re: how to influence the rowheight in excel output
                option 1 was autosizing accoriding to the column header width which is not as expected ,but option 2 was working as expected.

thanks
                ss