1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2008 8:42 PM by seanzh

Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server

seanzh
      Platform: X64 CentOS Oracle EE 11G Apex 3 with embedded PL/SQL gateway.

Problem: we have a moderate sized internal networks with almost everyone uses SQUID(2.6 under centOS 5) as proxy server, with almost everything using default setting. I have been testing the new APEX program( used to be HtmlDB 1.6), it works great if I make sure the browser(IE7 or IE 6) have NO Proxy server; but if I do enable Proxy server, some of the pages (mostly SQL Query report) perform 10 times slower. Yes I have tried :
      1. on Browser ,make sure "Bypass Proxy server for local address" is checked and IP begins with local address filled as Exceptions... NO differenece;
      2. On squid proxy squid.conf I enabled something like "Always_direct localdomain", still NO differenece.....

Our users have to use Proxy server, mainly for control and management; I can not tell our users "you turn off PROXY SERVER if you go www.localdomain.com; you turn on Proxy server if you go external websites....." . for HtmlDB 1.6, there is no such performance difference wether you use Proxy server(we do) or not; By the way, most of our users don't know how to turn on/off proxy server, once their browser configured by us, they just use it...

Any suggestions and advises are greatly appreciated.

sean chang
        • 1. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
          John Edward Scott
          Sean,

When you say they perform 10 times slower...do they just perform 10 times slower but work, or do they fail to work?

John.
          • 2. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
            seanzh
            thanks for the reply.

Just about 10 times slower, feels like forever; but it DOES work. during last few days I have tried numerious way to speed up without any result. just out of my wits.

It's easier to get my configurations, 11G comes right with APEX 3 (EPG), almost every Linux distribution comes with SQUID, which we have been using since 2000..

one sentence , Just strangely slow, but WORKS...

sean
            • 3. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
              John Edward Scott
              Hi Sean,

How long roughly would you say '10 times slower is" in terms of seconds?

John.
              • 4. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
                seanzh
                about 77 seconds, the thing is every visit takes 77 seconds, even you just visit it,come back to it in 1 minute, it's still long wait (77 seconds), even your query returns 0 rows of data.

Our users discovered this, I didn't use Proxy so I didn't know during development and migration...

just frustrated, feel not much I can do now..

sean
                • 5. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
                  seanzh
                  a little more info:
                  if I turn on DEBUG, the page rendering is actually fast, as fast as NO-proxy-server configuration, it shows .37 seconds ( instead of 77 seconds). How can it's actually much faster when debug turned on? the same database query, the same data, only with more statistics data. it must be somehow related to something like "IE 7 says NO Proxy when debug on"..... I just don't know
                  • 6. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
                    So you are actually saying, when you turn on debug mode and it shows the timing of the page it is fast, but if you turn of debugging in the same session and for the same page it takes 77 seconds?

Patrick
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    My APEX Blog: http://www.inside-oracle-apex.com
                    The ApexLib Framework: http://apexlib.sourceforge.net
                    The APEX Builder Plugin: http://apexplugin.sourceforge.net/ New!
                    • 7. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
                      seanzh
                      So you are actually saying, when you turn on debug
                      mode and it shows the timing of the page it is fast,
                      but if you turn of debugging in the same session and
                      for the same page it takes 77 seconds?
                      exactly. Hard to believe but absolutely true. I tried numerious times.

One thing I thought that the EPG gateway might not work well with proxy server. There is no Linux X64 Oracle Http server in the download page, so which means I have to go 10G OHS?
                      • 8. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
                        When you have a look at Administration>Monitor Activity>Recent Page Views,
                        does APEX show that it takes longer to generate when you run the page in normal mode? Or are the times equal? Just want to figure out in which component exactly the problem could be, because the DEBUG effect is a little bit strange.

Patrick
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        My APEX Blog: http://www.inside-oracle-apex.com
                        The ApexLib Framework: http://apexlib.sourceforge.net
                        The APEX Builder Plugin: http://apexplugin.sourceforge.net/ New!
                        • 9. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
                          John Edward Scott
                          Hi Sean,

Are you using the caching ability with Squid, or just purely using it as a proxy?

If you're using the caching ability, can you try putting some dynamic content on your page, for example a simple PL/SQL region that simply does something like -

htp.p(to_char(sysdate, 'hh:mi:ss'));

and then run your page with debug on and off.

I'm just wondering if squid is sometimes delivering you cached content versus 'live' content (in other words enabling debug might be making Squid serve live content since the requested URL doesn't match the cached version).

Just a thought, I could be barking up the wrong tree, but should be quick to rule in or out.

John.
                          --------------------------------------------
                          http://jes.blogs.shellprompt.net
                          http://apex-evangelists.com
                          • 10. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
                            Dietmar Aust
                            Hi Sean,

in the XE forum we did experience a similar problem:
                            Re: Change Database Homepage Port

I haven't used Squid yet, but in an Apache configuration (as a proxy to XE) we use the following configuration:
                            SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1
                            In 10gR2 (which is the code base for XE) the XML DB http listener (used for the embedded plsql gateway) had problems using http 1.1. Thus we reverted to using 1.0 and it worked fine.

Might be worth a try.

Regards,
                            ~Dietmar.
                            • 11. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
                              seanzh
                              Thanks all for the suggestions, I do appreciate your help.

When you have a look at Administration>Monitor Activity>Recent Page Views,
                              does APEX show that it takes longer to generate when you run the page in >>normal mode? Or are the times equal? Just want to figure out in which >>component exactly the problem could be, because the DEBUG effect is a little >>bit strange.
                              to Patrick

Tried serveral times, the stats only show results when DEBUG off, could not get result when DEBUG ON, just did not display that as page-viewing activity. the result says 69 seconds for viewing page 1.( previously estimated 77 seconds by me).

to JOHN

Are you using the caching ability with Squid, or just purely using it as a proxy?
                              If you're using the caching ability, can you try putting some dynamic content on >>your page, for example a simple PL/SQL region that simply does something >>like -
                              htp.p(to_char(sysdate, 'hh:mi:ss'));
                              and then run your page with debug on and off.
                              I'm just wondering if squid is sometimes delivering you cached content >>versus 'live' content (in other words enabling debug might be making Squid >>serve live content since the requested URL doesn't match the cached version).
                              Actually the result is refreshed. each time it displays a different time. whether DEBUG on or off. I guess it delivers LIVE result.

to Dietmar:
                              I feel like you had the same problems as mine now. but I still don't know how to tackle these problems after I read your posting, please be more specific. Thanks.
                              in the XE forum we did experience a similar problem:
                              Re: Change Database Homepage Port
                              I tried to access that discussion but it says "you don't have permission to view that category..."

My configuration does NOT use Apache or Oracle OHS, how can I set the Apache directive "SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1"?
                              In 10gR2 (which is the code base for XE) the XML DB http listener (used for the >>embedded plsql gateway) had problems using http 1.1. Thus we reverted to >>using 1.0 and it worked fine.
                              if "XML DB http listener (used for the embedded plsql gateway) had problems using http 1.1" AND I don't use Apache( or OHS), how can I set it only use HTTP 1.0?

sean
                              • 12. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
                                RenédH
                                Hi Sean (and others)

We also have some strange problems in combination with Squid.

On a reports page we have some filters. When some users use these filters they get one of the two squid errors:

- Read Error
                                The system returned:
                                (10054) WSAECONNRESET, Connection reset by peer.
                                OR
                                Zero sized reply
                                Squid did not receive any data for this request.

It always indicates that this is on receiving the wwv_flow.accept page.

Note: this is only on one! page and we have several pages with more difficult reports.

Anyone has a clue?

Regards,

René
                                • 13. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
                                  Dietmar Aust
                                  Hi Sean,

yes, the XE forum is protected and only available to registered users, sorry. But you can easily register for it once you download and install XE.

Anyway, I have just installed squid on my local windows xp box and checked it out.

You might experiment with the following three settings (localhost is the "target" xe instance in my case):
                                  broken_posts allow localhost
                                  vary_ignore_expire on
                                  detect_broken_pconn on
                                  I have just looked into the squid.conf file and searched for anything related to buggy 1.0 / 1.1 implementations.

Might be worth a try.

Regards,
                                  ~Dietmar.
                                  • 14. Re: Apex 3 with EPG  (11G) horrible performance under Squid proxy server
                                    seanzh
                                    Hi Sean,

yes, the XE forum is protected and only available to
                                    registered users, sorry. But you can easily register
                                    for it once you download and install XE.

Anyway, I have just installed squid on my local
                                    windows xp box and checked it out.

You might experiment with the following three
                                    settings (localhost is the "target" xe instance in my
                                    case):
                                    broken_posts allow localhost
                                    vary_ignore_expire on
                                    detect_broken_pconn on
                                    I have just looked into the squid.conf file and
                                    searched for anything related to buggy 1.0 / 1.1
                                    implementations.

Might be worth a try.

Regards,
                                    ~Dietmar.
                                    Thank you, Dietmar,

I tried these 3 diectives but NO HELP.

sean
                                    1 2 Previous Next