13 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2009 11:08 PM by 114409 RSS

lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot

Hi all

I have an issue on setting up a 10.2.0.3 crs+rac on OEL 5 64 bit.
      My configuration is as follows:

- 2 node OEL 5 64 bit
      - storage on netapp (FCP)
      - 2 hba per node (qlogic driver qla2400)
      - dm-multipath

I was able to install and upgrade the crs stack up to 10.2.0.3, binding multipath devices to raw devices (as requested by OUI).
      After install, I changed OCR and voting to point to block devices, using "multipathed" devices /dev/mapper/crs_voting1p1 anc /dev/mapper/crs_ocr1p1.
      All worked fine, until I decided to reboot the node.
      The issue is that I was not able to set ownership/permission on /dev/mapper/crs* devices on reboot (as expected, they become root:disk 660, and oracle:dba can't read/write on them).
      I tried to setup udev to change these, as I used when dealing with raw and block devices, but with no success.

Could anyone give me some tip?

Thanks in advance
      Regards
        • 1. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
          Sebastian Solbach -Dba Community-Oracle
          Normally mapper device rights are setup in udev/rules.d/50-*.permission. If you create an udev/rules.d/99-oracle.permission where you change the rights this should work. (In SLES10 and RHEL5 number must be higher).
          Can you post your udev rules and the filename where you do this?.
          • 2. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
            Hi

I already made an attempt with 99-xxxxx.rules, with the following contents:

KERNEL=="/dev/mapper/crs*", GROUP="dba", MODE="660"

but no way to see group ownership change.

I used /dev/mapper/crs* as I am binding wwn's (from netapp luns) to crs* in multipath.conf.
            Both voting and ocr device are now /dev/mapper/crs (not anymore raw binding).

I think the issue is related to multipath usage, as at install phase (when OUI needed raw devices) I was able to set permission on raw devices using udev.
            By the way, I also tried with a 99-xxxxx.permission, and also with :

DEVPATH=="/dev/mapper/crs*", GROUP="dba", MODE="660"

Thanks again
            Regards
            • 3. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
              Janus,

Permissions on raw devices get reset on reboot, especially on RH or OEL. I usually get around this problem by adding commands to /etc/rc.local file allowing the required permissions on those raw devices to oracle. May be you can give it a try.

HTH

Thanks
              -Chandra
              • 4. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
                Ok, thanks.

In fact something like this was the w/a I found.
                I made a chgrp of required devices inside the /etc/init.d/init.crs, and this solution work.
                Maybe it is safer to add the chgrp into rc.local, so that I'll be safe in case of an upgrade of the crs stack.

Thanks all, and best regards.
                ciao
                --alessandro                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                • 5. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
                  I do the change in rc.local as well.

Add this:

chown oracle:dba /dev/raw/raw*
                  chmod 660 /dev/raw/raw*

And you should be sorted. Although you may need to change the user and group to suit your configuration
                  • 6. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
                    Hi Janus,

Can U describe the steps for binding multipath devices to raw devices?

We've tried numerous ways of configuring /dev/mapper/mpathX device to raw device via UDEV in RHEL 5.1, but to no avail...UDEV does NOT seem to honor these rules..

For e.g., here is our /etc/udev/rules.d/61-raw.rules

ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="/dev/mapper/mpath24", RUN+="/bin/raw /dev/raw/raw1 %N"
                    ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="/dev/mapper/mpath26", RUN+="/bin/raw /dev/raw/raw3 %N"

Also here is our 99-raw.rules
                    KERNEL=="raw1", OWNER="root", GROUP="oinstall", MODE="640"
                    KERNEL=="raw3", OWNER="oracle", GROUP="oinstall", MODE="660"

But it does NOT work. Meaning, UDEV does NOT create a raw device binding. We've tried to create it using command line as well...For e.g.,

raw /dev/mpath/mpath24 /dev/raw/raw1
                    Unsupported raw device name '/dev/mpath/mpath24' (format is /dev/raw/rawN))

Will appreciate some detailed instructions.

Thanks & Regards,
                    DK.
                    • 7. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
                      Hi

correct syntax for binding raw devices is:

raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/mpath/mpath24.

I used the above syntax, binding raw to "mapper" devices.

Remember to create at least one partition and initialize it (with dd), and to assign correct permission/ownership on raw devices.

After the install phase, I changed bot voting and ocr device to point to block devices (/dev/mpath/....).

Hope this helps.

regards
                      --alessandro                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                      • 8. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
                        Just for completeness,

udev rules didn't work in my env too.
                        I made raw bindings and change ownership/perms from CLI.

ciao
                        --alessandro                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                        • 9. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
                          RH AS4/u6 - /etc/udev/permissions.d/40-udev.permissions:
                          #ocr file
                          raw/raw[1-2]:root:dba:0640
                          #votedisk file
                          raw/raw[3-5]:oracle:dba:0660
                          #asm raw devices
                          raw/raw[6-9]:oracle:dba:0660
                          raw/raw1[0-9]:oracle:dba:0660
                          raw/raw2[0-3]:oracle:dba:0660
                          #multipathed disks
                          dm-0:oracle:dba:0660
                          dm-[1-2]:root:dba:0640
                          dm-[3-9]:oracle:dba:0660
                          dm-1[0-9]:oracle:dba:0660
                          dm-2[0-3]:oracle:dba:0660
                          • 10. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
                            Ok,

this could work in a single node configuration.
                            If you work on a cluster, you can't work with /dev/dm-'s, because you cannot be sure that the same dm on both machines point to the same (multipathed) device on the storage.

So, you should use /dev/mpath/xxx devices, and there is no way to change ownership/permission on them through udev.

ciao
                            • 11. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
                              Permissions using udev-rules must be set on everymachine:

[root@centos51-rac-1 ~]# cd /etc/udev/rules.d

Add to the file 50-udev.rules at the bottom of the file:

[root@centos51-rac-1 rules.d]# vi 50-udev.rules
                              KERNEL==”sdb1”, OWNER=”root”, GROUP=”oinstall”, MODE=”0640”
                              KERNEL==”sdb2”, OWNER=”oracle”, GROUP=”oinstall”, MODE=”0640”
                              (sdb1 & sdb2 need to be changed to your devices!)

when using -legacy- raw devices:

In 60-raw.rules, add the following lines:
                              [root@centos51-rac-1 rules.d]# vi 60-raw.rules
                              ACTION==”add”, KERNEL==”sdb1”, RUN+=”/bin/raw /dev/raw/raw1 %N”
                              ACTION==”add”, KERNEL==”sdb2”, RUN+=”/bin/raw /dev/raw/raw2 %N”
                              (sdb1 & sdb2 need to be changed to your devices!)

Create a new file called 99-raw.rules, and enter the following information:
                              [root@centos51-rac-1 rules.d]# vi 99-raw.rules
                              KERNEL==”raw1”, OWNER=”root”, GROUP=”oinstall”, MODE=”0640”
                              KERNEL==”raw2”, OWNER=”oracle”, GROUP=”oinstall”, MODE=”0640”
                              • 12. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
                                Are you using multipath in your conf?

I had no issues mapping "single-pathed" devices with raw and changing ownership/permission.

My problem was about changing perms on devices under /dev/mpath/, which are devices under my full control on multipath.conf.

Anyway, I solved my issues using rc.local to change perms on "multipathed" block devices used for voting and ocr, and using asmlib to manage devices under ASM.

regards
                                • 13. Re: lost permission/ownership on ocr&voting device after reboot
                                  I just installed 10gR2 RAC under RHEL5.2. I used device--mapper to create aliases for my multipathed ocr and voting devices. I set up the multipath.conf to persistently name my devices based on the SCSI_ID. This ID can be obtained from the /var/lib/multipath/bindings file. I then used the raw command (raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/mapper/ocrvote4p1) to create raw devices for use with the Oracle Installer. I set the proper ownership/permissions on the raw devices and kicked off the the installer. Once the install completed (before running the root.sh file), I edited the rootconfig file (under the install directory), changed the the /dev/raw/rawX references to the multipath device aliases, applied patch 4679769 to resolve the clsfmt issue with multiple paths, and executed the root.sh file on each cluster node. The Cluster started on all nodes without any issues and without any references to raw devices in the OCR (except for the VIPCA issues with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL and non-routable VIP addresses). I resolved those issues by clearing the LD_ASSUME_KERNAL environment variable in vipca/srvctl and running VIPCA manually after the oifcfg configuration assistant completed.

I am still working on determining the proper way to set the permissions of my multipath device aliases. I currently set them in the /etc/rc.local script, but that seems rather kludgy.